Sign in to follow this  
Guest tomcatdriver1956

Steve Hinson's Tomcat

In Steve Hinson's file description for his reworked Tomcat package for FSX, he says:"IF you have a CTD during startup, please do NOT blame the TOMCAT. It is YOUR Simconnect, Anti-virus, or Firewall port settings that are incorrect. I will not accept ANY emails for this problem. FSX is still in in infancy & it is hard enough to just get the gauges correct."Well, needless to say, I am finding a problem during loading of the plane. I get one of those completely useless Windows messages which, for those who understand such things, says "The Instruction at "0x0e3160cc" referenced memory at "0x00000080". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program." Ah yes, of course. Just what I thought the problem was :-hmmm Well, since Mr. Hinson assures us all that it is our fault, not his, but I don't have a problem with any other aircraft loading in FSX, could someone who has experienced this or can offer a solution please comment? I note a number of old gauges in there from CFS etc.... and yes, I did say YES to everything I was asked to approve. I have no idea what SimConnect is although if I recall it's something to do with FSX. There's no Antivirus blocking the load and I use the standard settings for Windows XPSP2 firewall.Thanks if you can help.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cx.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/avsimlogo.jpg[/a]

I think that error dialog gives you an option like:"For detailed technical information on this error, click here"That might tell you the offending module. Of course it might be something useful, like panels.dll...Other than that, you can try commenting out all the entries for compiled gauges, and then adding them back one by one until you find the offender. x( Doug

No, it's not that type of message box, Doug, although I do know what you mean. The only option is to hit 'OK' and the sim closes.So trial and error it would probably have to be. I fear I just don't have the time to go through all the gauges one by one, restarting over and over. I think this is one freeware enhancement that, although much appreciated as ever, will just have to stay in the hangar.But if anyone else goes through the process, I'd be glad to hear, of course :)MarkP.S. I did have this problem with a previous import from FS9; upon inspecting the gauges for that particular bird, I noted a number of old FS98 gauges and other antiques. Although such things work happily in FS9 - and, indeed, some remain indispensible in FS9 - I believe that FSX is a different kettle of fish, right? It just doesn't like them. That lady and all her gauges came out again :(Much as Vista seems to dislike most its customers, from what I've heard ;) But that's another subject.....Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cx.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/avsimlogo.jpg[/a]

Guest RonB49

Hi Mark,I have seen those error messages and have gotten around them so far. Most often mine have seemed to be associated with a particular saved flight file or a location. I usually start each session from where ever I last landed. On two or three occasions, those errors appeared and were repeatable as long as I tried to start up using a given flight file. Using a different saved flight, starting at a different locaton has fixed those (so far).I also have a problem loading the PAD Learjet 60. If I start FSX from the opening screen and select the Lear 60 before hitting "Fly now," I get one of those errors or a CTD with no error noted. If, on the other hand, I select the default C172, hit "fly now," and change to the Lear 60 after the Cessna has loaded, then the Learjet loads and fly normally.Have you tried loading the C172, then changing to the Tomcat? IF not, then try it.R-

Good thought, Ron, but no, that didn't work either.Well, there've been over 700 downloads of the plane for FSX so far today, so I must presume it's my fault after all as no one else seems to be posting a problem. I have a standard install of FSX on a standard install of XPHome SP2, though, so I've really no idea what the problem is specifically. Ah well. Thanks anyway.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cx.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/avsimlogo.jpg[/a]

I too have seen this. For instance, I have a similar problem with the Alpha Bleu Ceil Vought Crusader. I'm pretty sure the problem is related to the HUD. I also had this problem with the Dreamfleet Archer II when I created a panel that used a slightly different set of gauges than the default, and the problem was related to the DF KX155. When I replaced that gauge, I didn't get the crash anymore (funny thing is, the gauge works with the default panel :( ).I also fixed a similar issue by adding the gaugesound.dll to the dll.xml file (I think this was for the PZL DHC3). Well, at least it seemed like this was the fix. It crashed every time before I added the line, and works now that I added it. So I also added FSSound.dll and VthMb.dll. Unfortunately, adding VthMb.dll to the file didn't have any effect on the problem (the HUD for the Crusader). But for the Crusader, it only crashes when I try to switch planes, exit, or when I crash the plane and it tries to restart the flight. So it's not that bad.So, the point is, as painful as it is, if you really want to use the plane, you'll have to find the offending gauge by commenting them out one by one (or in my case, I removed all the gauges, and added them back in one by one).I've done this a few times, and it's always one gauge causing a problem.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Mark,Comment this line out in the main panel window:gauge03=dsd_xml_sound3!dsd_xml_sound3, 2,2,5, 5,dsd_xml_sound3.gau is most definitely not FSX compatible. It is not distributed with the package in question, but if at some point you copied it into your FSX gauges folder, the panel is trying to load it.DougEdit:Older versions of the gauge are not compatible. Current release, 3.7, is.

You da man, Doug, and thanks.That was it. I had moved that gauge over with the aircraft I mentioned in my initial post (actually BETSY) only to find a number of incompatabilities I have decided to leave until later, so removed her again. I overlooked that gauge. The version I have is 3.5.1, so that explains things.Weird coincidence, nonetheless, that the F-14's PANEL.CFG referenced it and yet did not include it.Anyway, I'm in. Thanks again. Hope all is well with you.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cx.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/avsimlogo.jpg[/a]

Guest tomcatdriver1956

TO: Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumont VP Fleet, DC-3 Airways Team Member, MAAM-SIMFrom: Steve Hinson PQE (Ret)Sir, It has just now as of this day, the 31st of March, come to my attention through a fellow simmer & forum member that our Grumman FSX F-14D Tomcat Rev 0, has been giving some simmers problems in which our 5 EXPERT MCSE beta-testers did not have these anomolies show up in their reports after the flight testing was peformed. As Project Manager, I wish to extend our deepest apologies for this situation that is rectified now. I am going to upload a new PANEL.cfg with the FSX Lear cab xml files to REPLACE: the Main panel HSI, RIO panel RMI, 737-400 Autopilot, 737-400 Landing Gear Indicators, 737-400 Landing Gear Lever. I deleted 3 MS-98 gauges that were in use and working fine in many, machines. The DSD Sound3 xml gauge was lined out and all gauges renumbered and checked 2x by ME. Every GAUGE in the folder GAUGES in this SETUP is nowe official FSX compatible. Only FS98 gauges are not supposed to get into the sim. However, I have yet to understand how the 737-400 FS9 gauges gets past the FSX gauge checker. I am no longer concerned about 5 gauges: RIO RMI, Main panel Gear Handle, Main HSI, Main Gear lights, and the737-400 Autopilot.I have talked with Doug Dawson via Email, my friend for over a year in Canada. He informed me of the main causal connection for the biggest problem. Due to MY oversight, with so many gauges to overhaul, I MISSED the GAUGE CALLED "dsd_Sound3_xml.gau." It is in my gauge file as DOUG sent me his latest copy last November for me to experiment with some special fx sounds I was creating for the Tomcat. Unfortunately, I failed to NOTE it was STILL in the panel gauge callouts in [Window00]. The gauge would have worked as a dummy gauge hsd I inserted it into the Gauge folder for the pack. Since I left it out & DID NOT make the change in the panel for that NON-issue gauge file. IT BECAME "THE ISSUE" In MS XP Windows, the "Call" procedure will request the object file to the target location for use. If is not there, there is a major conflict and the OS is "confounded", thus going into a loop looking for it until the protocol for ending this mindless task kicks in. THEN, of course, it is a stupid machine only programmed to do what we tell it. SO it "cries", then "whimpers" into silence, shutting down very fast & ticking all users off! Myself included. I am about to test my repair myself & make location adjustments for the A/P, and maybe one or two new gauges. Please PASS this along to ALL the members if you do not mind. I would be most thankful. About the note in the README about no mistakes, don't email me, I WAS NOT BEING A "PK". I am terminally ill with END STAGE LIVER DISEASE & cannot get a transplant. So, as they say: That is That. With under two years projected, I have to hustle with every ounce of the little energy I have. I do my best but get tired easy now. So, if you could ASK GOD to give me an extra boost of POWER, my AB's will get me through this. Chase & Tom + the gang know this as I have left them my POWER of ATTNY. over my files. Do you have a BIG FORK & FEATHER DUSTER? I like mt Crow clean! LOL! I want to get this fix uploaded tonight before I fall out. I am beat. But I do not quit, I never surrender. The fix will be uploaded by noon CDT 4/1 (-6 GMT)If there are typos, forgive, my eye & hands have been at this KB for 4.5 hours straight. Sir, I say I AM SO SORRY for this event! So far this is the only group that has mentioned anything, SEND EMAIL ANYTIME! That goes for all. USE: drdimension1941@swnebr.net. This is my outlook box pop3.Respectfully,Steven Hinson

Guest tomcatdriver1956

Forum members:I emailed the fix pack f14dfix.zip @ 1.5 MB appx. directly to:Pete Daly at Simviation.com (up on board NOW at 10:05am /-6GMT), Chase Kreznor at: Avsim.com: STILL NOT UP!Will get status of fix.zip.Nels Anderson: Flightsim.com HSASthe fix and has not opened his mail, so I will just upload via the slow waylook if you want it bad, EMAIL ME screw this other way, I AM ALWAYS HERS , you need any file, EMAIL me, U guys liked the MANULAL s I bought from Navy? IN F14D MANUAL subfolder in DOCS? Stufy the one that hs the carrier fkight plan for traps cats. It is the real thing. I hope you like them NOBODY even noted these NIICE tools, but I FIXED IT, DOUG has a copy and so does BOB D. email me here: drdimension1941@swnebr.netOK? Just say FIX in subject block, I'll open up all port filters.IT WILL BE RELAYED back as soon as I get it +15 minutes. I will leave the email box on, SPEAKER UP for NOTIFY.WAV OS default new mail wav.OKTHANK YOU! Steve Hinson, I have had only 3 hours sleep since last night and I have to go to the hospital today for a urgent checkup. I am feeling sick. PLEASE rush me those requests IF you want it now! FULL EMAIL from you for fastest reply. I run full duplex @ 2 MB/s T-2DSL. Steve Hinson. McCook, Nebraska, USA, CDT, (-6z)I will do this from 10:45 CDT (-6z) to NON CDT (1800 in LONDON -6z)After that my wife kicks me off, I have to share the PC time. Only fair. After that, you will have to go to Simviation or just wait till someone heres does it in the Library, I have read resiepts oin my mail, Chase and Nels have not opened their mailbox, AND IT IS SUN! lol.

Steve,First of all, thank you for the time and energy you have put into enhancing our favorite hobby. The Tomcat has been one of my favorites since Dino's first release. I did not encounter the CTDs that others have and consider myself fortunate but I did notice something peculiar about the engine smoke and when I paused the sim it appears that the smoke trails are aligned vertically out near the left wing-tip. A little trial and error editing corrected the placement...Unless there's something different about my system/installation, the 4.5' left-right parameters need to be the second element in the smokesystem descriptors.I edited:smoke.0=0.0, -25.00, 4.5, fx_F14_ControlledHeat , // Eng2 heat, when throttle > 10%smoke.1=0.0, -25.00, -4.5, fx_F14_ControlledHeat , // Eng1 heat, when throttle > 10%to read:smoke.0= 0.0, 4.5, 0.0, fx_F14_ControlledHeat , // Eng2 heat, when throttle > 10%smoke.1= 0.0, -4.5, 0.0, fx_F14_ControlledHeat , // Eng1 heat, when throttle > 10%and it fixed the issue. The -25' doesn't seem to be relevant; perhaps it is accounted for inside the effet code...Loyd

Guest tomcatdriver1956

Not for FX files, the Cordinate system is reversed, see Kirk Olsens F-16 to confirm is y, x, zIn fx files for some reason it works both ways, and it does work your way. These are original Dino numbers. I have no issue with them but will evaluate much larer, it is of no import sast this time, i am in the middle of fixing hot issues, THANKS ANYWAY! Thanks for the heads up. Take a look at Kirks P-3 Orion, & KBT's Orion. Who do you believe, KIRK or Daisuke? I vote for Kirks anyday of the year. Anywhere.Thank you,Steve Hinson

Guest tomcatdriver1956

If you have a query about your upload, please mail the LibraryManagers at library@avsim.com. Please make sure you quote theUpload ID below, as it will help them to locate your file.Here is some useful information about your upload:UploadID: 209932Name: FSX Grumman F-14D Tomcat- Panel.cfg & Gauge Fix -- CTD issueSize: 1542 kbHERE IS THE FIX, hop it shows up fast, i am eating and going to bed, hey the smoke thing for engines, those ar din'o nmbers, lol tok 5 year for someone to see this,,funny. i will get around to it may be next eek, i dont dfeel good noebybystev thx loyd!qthaanks bob for hlp understndunggdnight sllfixces in site s noww wo

Guest tomcatdriver1956

THEY MADE ME RE-UPLOAD! Tom wrote me from Japan., I told him how urgent this was, he said he would call Chase. HE DID, @ 5:15 PM CDT (-6z). I figured using email would be faster. Nels at Flightsim was cool and took care of it. So was Pete at simviation.comBUT here, FORMALITIES! UGH! So Ii sent it the long way home, then Jeremy wrote me: "STEVE: NO NAME in README. Even though ID.DIZ was full of names, mine inclded. Ya think a developer would get a break? BUT NOOOOOOOO, LOL! It is GOING UP NOW! Here is info: IN FSX PANELS! Hope YOU LIKE the rework.I sure could use a few "atta boy" emails, LOL! It seems we developers are fading away for the same reason. *******Here is some useful information about your upload:UploadID: 209947Name: F14D Tomcat Rev 0 Update 1.0-- CTD Panel/Gauge FixSize: 1543 kbThanks, Good night, Had funQ , well sort of, lolSteve Hinson