Sign in to follow this  
Guest manflyer

disappearing runways-----help

Guest manflyer

i have noticed that at some airports e.g egmn and kiad that if i fly over the airport everything is fine and so is the approachwhen i get to 150feet the middle section of runway disappears to reveal just the grass underneath i can see the other end of the runway but that also vanishes as i continue though the runway textures are ok briefly where there is an intersectioncan anyone helpmy graphics card is nvidia fx5500 256mg1 gig ramp4 3gigthanks paul

I thought I had seen this problem as well.Seems like an mesh problem.Are you using custom mesh?

I think there are some Z-order issues in FSX (Z-order is the "in front of" relationship from point of view of the observer). If you create an eyepoint that is very close to the ground, you can see a lot of this. In FS9, ground level scenery objects at airports could be placed very slightly above the terrain, so the system could compute the proper Z-order. In FSX, I think part of the proplem is that now, airports aren't really "flat" (planar), but rather elevation is equidistant from the surface of the WGS84 geoid. Ground level scenery objects need to be curved to match this surface, and then placed such that the Z-order can be computed. In the past, authors would use planar objects either drawn using bglc code such as "texpoly" in SCASM, or use GMax with the FS2002 gamepack (I assume that a simular method is used with 3dsmax or other 3-d drawing software). I think actually authors use a "stack" of planar polygons, representing the grass/background, layered with taxi texture, layered with markings. They all need to be in the correct Z-order to show up properly.One thing about FS9 is that we knew the flattened terrain was accurate to 1/128 meter in the source bgl files. I have yet to see anyone decode the FSX cvx files which contain the new flattens, to determine what accuracy is provided in FSX. All the sdk tool tmfviewer tells you is the texture GUID of the airport flatten, not the elevation.scott s..

>i have noticed that at some airports e.g egmn and kiad that>if i fly over the airport everything is fine and so is the>approach>when i get to 150feet the middle section of runway disappears>to reveal just the grass underneath >i can see the other end of the runway but that also vanishes>as i continue though the runway textures are ok briefly where>there is an intersection>>can anyone help>my graphics card is nvidia fx5500 256mg>1 gig ram>p4 3gig>>thanks >>paul>>I've had this occur in FSX with airports that have FS9 AFCAD2 files associated with them. To cure this "bleed through" ofthe terrain, I editied the AFCAD file and created an apron polygon that was a foot or so larger than the runway. Made itvisable and of asphalt. I think I used "grass" in one instance as well.The poly may not have to be visable nor exceed the runway dimensions but I didn't bother to experiment. I just stayedwith what worked for me. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest manflyer

thanks for the replys guyspaul,how hard is it to make this change to afcad,im not to familier with afcad.could you give me a bit more insight pleaseglad to see its not just me that is having these issuesthankspaul

Guest manflyer

thanks for pointing me towards afcadi did a forum search for afcad to see if anything came to lighti came across a post from january where sombody had exactly the same problem and he was told it eas his third party scenary,now my scenery is all default so thought this wouldnt helphowever it turn out he has the modified traffic 2005 which apparently uses fs9 afcad,he mentioned that he deleted these from his addon scenary folder,but i could not find them anywherei looked in the traffic 2005 folder and found AFDSwap5.exe which allows you to disable the old files for any airport you wishso i tried it at kiad,where this this problem was stopping me fly in a multiplayer session where it is basedEUREKA all the runways are back i am so pleasedthanks guys paul