Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

Struggling with wind gusts after SU6

I am finding in "windy conditions" that I am having horribly aggressive wind effects on the aircraft.  Objectively, while flying the "windy" landing challenges, at Dusseldorf the 747's airspeed jumps about 60 kts (from Vref of 140, to about 200) and flying C172 in the Sedona challenge, the heading bounces 25 degrees on the compass, both over the course of about a second.  The 747 in particular will go form a 1500 fpm descent to a 500 fpm climb over 2-3 seconds.  While the opening brief weather report doesn't report gusts, both scenarios are quartering head winds, about 35 kts for the 747 and 20 kts for the C172.  I am not sure what version YouTubers were running, but when I look up YouTube videos of these challenges, I do not see the same behavior. 

I hadn't flown either of these scenarios prior to SU6, but went back to Gibraltar and the A320 behaved much different too.  Here I got about 20 kts jumps with similar aggressive heading and and vertical speed changes.  Previously, the expected crab and throttle/pitch changes were needed, but could be kept up with. 

This feels similar to the RTM release to me, but this settled down in one of the early updates until just recently.  I have found posts noting the legacy flight model can see this, but my settings confirm I have the modern selected. 

Does anyone else have any input or thoughts on this matter?

Eric Szczesniak

You can try this: choose and set up your flight, including weather conditions you want for that flight. Load the flight, and after clicking "Fly now", wait for your plane to be settled and ready to go. Now, before taking off, select weather conditions from the toolbar and specifically select wind settings at the bottom of the settings screen. You will see that you can adjust wind gusts velocity to a value of your choosing. Resume your flight and enjoy!

• Like 1

Ken

I saw this yesterday, flying C172 across the UK. Sudden wind shifts that were enough to temporarily over speed the aircraft. happened 3 times on a 2 hour flight. Also sudden pressure changes that moved several millibars at a time. Live weather was a bit dodgy. As was ATC, insisting I take the C172 to FL 260 and declining my requests for a lower level. 

Still plenty work to be done…..

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I've also noticed a lot more wind effects than SU5, but I'm not sure if it's too much or not. 

I did fly into a stormy area just west of Palmdale, with 30 knot winds over the hill tops. It was so rough it felt like the aircraft would break apart. Clearly it didn't (this is a sim), and I returned to Palmdale instead. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

The wind effects might be slightly overdone, but I like it a LOT better than before. I'd rather get bounced around a little too much than only ever feel clear air. I think it's very much subjective, like a lot of things in life. 

• Like 2

Former Child, Current Adult

I find the wind gust effect in SU6 pretty darn realistic.  Those of us who fly regularly will definitely know what I'm talking about.

• Like 3

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

4 minutes ago, DMullert said:

I find the wind gust effect in SU6 pretty darn realistic.  Those of us who fly regularly will definitely know what I'm talking about.

"oh hey look that's my buddy's farm place, looks like they finally got that last section disc'd up...wow a little bumpy this aftern..." *SMACK*

Me very recently 🙃

Former Child, Current Adult

October 24 18:00 UTC KSMF / KSEA AN32X with SU6 without major problems until reaching FL360. After starting any type of flight level reduction, I experienced winds in all directions. Bursts, scissors, etc.Sometimes I managed to hold the manual and return to managed. Others don't. A new fact for me, I'm going to recycle my license, that is, relearn this new phenomenon that has never been experienced in the simulation

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

35 minutes ago, DMullert said:

I can't help but think we are seeing different effects here.  Nearly instantaneous changes of 60 kts is beyond safe to land in a 747.  I can't speak to how realistic it may feel not having any seat time in a heavy aircraft.  But I cam sure it is beyond any safety limitation.  On the gauges it looks like heavy windshear.  I was pretty happy with where the wind was prior to SU6.  

Eric Szczesniak

19 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

I was pretty happy with where the wind was prior to SU6.

It was not realistic at all. There were no gusts, no windshear.

• Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

5 minutes ago, Alvega said:

It was not realistic at all. There were no gusts, no windshear.

Again, we were seeing different things.  I would see gusts with turbulence and airspeed changes, but in a 15-20 kt range that is controllable.  These also had much smaller and shorter effects on vertical speed, leaving this manageable.  

Eric Szczesniak

I can't testify to the realism either, but I do know Mother Nature doesn't play nicely -- doesn't give us perfectly controllable conditions and make our lives easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ESzczesniak said:

Again, we were seeing different things.  I would see gusts with turbulence and airspeed changes, but in a 15-20 kt range that is controllable.  These also had much smaller and shorter effects on vertical speed, leaving this manageable.  

Not every weather condition should be "manageable" .. Sometimes If you have a weather scenario that is going to result in an unstable approach you bail and go around ..

The wind gusts are fine for me and while everyone looks forward for the weather updates from Asobo and they are needed for cloud type, barometric pressure and overall better accuracy  the particular effect of gusts and windshear appears to be working as intended. At least in my uneducated opinion.

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

5 hours ago, Republic3D said:

I've also noticed a lot more wind effects than SU5, but I'm not sure if it's too much or not. 

I did fly into a stormy area just west of Palmdale, with 30 knot winds over the hill tops. It was so rough it felt like the aircraft would break apart. Clearly it didn't (this is a sim), and I returned to Palmdale instead. 

Actually, back a couple of updates ago the turbulence was modeled too aggressively (I had the wings torn off of the TBM on a flight over the Alps).

I think they have it at a realistic level right now (at least prior to SU6).  Maybe sheer effects are higher now?

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

I guess I will add my 2 cents, well, less than that with inflation😅. But any who, the gusts and turbulence have been missing for so long. I have craved having weather conditions that actually make you work for your money. In the real world, you run into this kind of weather around storms, mountains, terrain and seasonal frontal passage. The winter months can get crazy in the North East of the USA creating strong cross winds and turbulent departures and arrivals. I have had to divert to Baltimore because I couldn't get my passengers into DC. Things get a little rowdy when descending into and approaching KCOS. I once took a new guy to KRIC for approaches in a G550. The winds and gusts were so bad below 1200ft that I elected to only drop the flaps to 20 degrees and shoot missed approaches for our time in the RADAR pattern. Flaps 20(200kts) gave us a more comfortable margin from over speeding flaps than flaps 39(170kts). It was so bad that the moose antlers kept appearing on the PFD and the speed tape was constantly red and amber. I have had nearly instantaneous speed increases and loss while crossing over the Rockies with mountain wave. There is nothing like coming down the glide path fighting pitching and rolling moments as you try to counter them with large inputs. Learning to knock off the ATS and just set a good power setting to stay close to your speed and additives. The aircraft size and design makes a difference as well. When I was flying DC10s, I always wanted to know what aircraft type reported severe or moderate turbulence because it could change how that level of turbulence impacted me. The DC10 handled turbulence fairly well with it's size and stubby wings, but the G5/G550 felt it strongly with those huge wings. I am happy to hear that flying might be a bit more challenging vs the minor sway and nod that I get while flying in stormy weather in MSFS2020.

Rick 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2