Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

Question About FSX performance Again. Upgrade Or Not

I keep coming back to the same thing, Do i or Do I Not Upgrade my MOBO CPU. So I am going to take a Reader Poll as to upgrade or not. How many of you think (or know) that I will bump Performance (FPS & more) if I upgrade the following?I have:P4 945 3.2 GhzAsus P5ND2-SLI,3 Gig RamEvga 7950GT KO 512MB(VOTE)Im Thinking:Asus P5NSLI NVIDIACore 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz 3 Gig RamEvga 7950GT KO 512MB(VOTE)THanks For You Replies!Gary

If I were upgrading to a core 2 duo system I would not get anything less than an e6600. If you want to get CPU thats slow don't bother spending the money, save it for a fast one.Now if you want to put in an e6600 then it might be worth it. Its only $300 for the e6600, which runs at 2.4Ghz and can easily overclock to 3.0GHz. I doubt an e6300 will be any faster than what you have now.

Guest X15

I just refreshed before posting, I was going to say exactly the same thing. I have the board that the OP is suggesting with E6600 - it runs FSX very well.

Why not wait until SP1 is released and see what the performance situation is at that point? Better to ask the question then rather than now.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Adrian Wainer

I am not overly familar with Intel processors and mobos but that looks like a very decent rig you have there, since even with the higher end Intel Conroe Core 2 Do paired with the new Directx 10 8800 card one can not max out the sliders and get decent frame rates, since your present rig looks quite good to me I would suggest not upgrading untill Intel releases a higher performance processor than the Conroe Core 2 duo. Best and Warm RegardsAdrian Wainer

As SolarEagle mentioned, the Core 2 Duo E6600 is very conservatively rated at 2.4gHz. Mine is OC'ed to 3.5gHz and the FSB to 1500MHz, which almost doubled frame rates over the default setup. Be sure you get a quality MOBO if you want to OC that high.John

Guest allcott

SolarEagle is not flying high enough, and the question is posed in the wrong forum. If you had gone to the hardware forum you would find numerous threads on the results of similar upgrades - and why the E6300 may actually be a better choise than the 6600. Why is it so hard for people to accept the question they ask today might have been asked a thousand times before - and use the search function? There is absolutely no point in upgrading until after SP1 and then the DX10 patch. Any hardware you buy now will be outdated by the time the actual system specs are available on what it really takes to run FSX on Vista with DX10. And no-one can give you those specs now, not even the ACES team. Allcott