Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

Why haven't activation problems been fixed?

I have had a problem myself two times with FSX suddenly saying it is no longer activated and reverting to demo mode. I installed it, played for a few weeks, and then it de-activated itself. The first time I called MS Tech Support and they were able to re-activate after I reinstalled but now I have lots of add-ons and AI aircraft that I really don't want to remove...so I called MS Tech Support again. This time they couldn't re-activate it and after looking at my registry they said the problem had to do with a RAID controller. I'm not even using a RAID controller nor do I have any drives in a RAID configuration. I guess my only option is to play FSX for 30 minutes and see if it asks me to re-activate which it did not do the first time I had the issue...or I'll have to un-install again!I just don't know why there hasn't been some sort of fix already for this problem that from what I've seen is not only happening to me! It would seem that even before the SP1 this would be a #1 easy fix because people paid for this game and can only play it for a few weeks before it deactivates and goes into demo mode!!!Brandon

Possibly one of the addons has caused this.It's a good idea to add only one addon at a time & rigorously test each addon for a week or so, otherwise, you will never know which one may have caused the problem, or whether it's reacting with other things you use. Could anyone else have touched the computer, that you don't know about?Peter Sydney Australia

Guest jbrians

Is the problem that it doesn't even show you the activation dialog, or that it does but activation fails? If the former, try running the sldlreset tool from this kb:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928080But DO NOT run "resetsldl -all". Instead, just run "resetsldl -ts" to reset the trusted store. This will move you back to the first-boot activated state without having to re-install FSX. The next time you boot, it should ask you to activate which should work normally.The other common problem is that some 3rd-party backup and disk drive software can disrupt an important registry key. If you look near the very bottom of this kb:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927007there are instructions on how to check and fix this registry value.Lastly, if you are getting the activation dialog but it is telling you your key cannot be activated because it has been used previously or something along those lines, use the phone activation option and they should be able to give you a new key.

here's the actual issue:When I start FSX it brings up an error message before loading that says:Product Activation ErrorAn error occurred while attempting to activate the product. The problem may be due to an incomplete installation of the application. Reinstalling the application may resolve the problem. Otherwise contact product support for assistance.FSX was activated when I first installed...I used the "resetsldl - ts" tool above. It didn't help.Brandon

the registry edit I also have already done previously over the phone with a MS tech support person. I did that edit after the first time I had an activation problem. When I check it right now I already have the PartMgr value in there. That's my MS said that they can't fix it this time and they wanted me to uninstall and collect logs from my computer. I don't want to do that.Brandon

BRANDON, Just so you and the TEAM know it some have had this problem since OCTOBER with no fix and am hoping that the SP1 will solve the problem. In the mean time the package sits on the shelf.Not a nice feelingTONY

>BRANDON,>>> Just so you and the TEAM know it some have had this>problem since OCTOBER with no fix and am hoping that the SP1>will solve the problem. In the mean time the package sits on>the shelf.>>Not a nice feeling>>TONYI am one of those who have had reinstallation problems since October of 2006.Although I have not really played FSX a lot for fear of doing my 8th reinstall by phone and the slow frame rate thing.I would have thought that they would have implemented a better user friendly reinstall method than having to go through an at least 10 minute call to MS.Really guys at MS, this is not your average PC Video Game, it is a true hobby for quite a few of us out here that equals a lot of MSFS costumer customization.I hope the MSFS Team will do something in SP1. I mean come on, I do not think that for Pirates, FSX is their number one priority crack, even mass copying the game, not too many PS3, Wii, Xbox360 or PC gamers are clamoring to buy FSX, not to say it shouldn

The irony is that a cracked version which doesn't require activation was widely available on the web almost two weeks before the release date. And it's still widely available. Once again, this whole activation problem only affects those who own legitimate copies of FSX - others could care less. Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

> The irony is that a cracked version which doesn't>require activation was widely available on the web almost two>weeks before the release date. And it's still widely>available. Once again, this whole activation problem only>affects those who own legitimate copies of FSX - others could>care less. >>Doug That said, Doug, the "crack" is also available to legitamate userswho don't wish to be saddled with these re-activation issues.... Paul

Wide-5.jpg

well I used the repair option on the FSX Setup and was able to re-activate...I guess in a few weeks I'll be back doing the same thing again! Hopefully SP1 will be out by then and will address this problem! I actually am very happy with FSX and this activation issue is really my only major gripe. I'm also impressed with the fact that although I'm only averaging about 10-12 frames per second the sim feels smoother than FS9 by a long shot. This is a great sim! I hope we can keep the smoothness up when some of the really good add-ons start coming along!Brandon

> I'm also>impressed with the fact that although I'm only averaging about>10-12 frames per second the sim feels smoother than FS9 by a>long shot. Just for the heck of it, if you haven't already; turn auto-gen fully to the left (off), and water effects ranging from none to 2x low. Usually good for about 10 fps. Buildings will still be there, you'll loose the cartoon houses at low level, and gain high resolution ground textures without having to get too high. L.Adamson

Guest 1who_likes2_fly

I am getting this error now. Windows just did some automatic updates... I wonder if this is related? Going to poke around.

SP1 addresses performance and some content/3rd party issues. It does not address Activation.

Well, I'll continue to use the crack then, all in the best interests of saving MS some tech support time! I must say, when I knew my local shop had FSX, I got the crack before even leaving the house to buy it - came home, installed, used the crack immediately. Result - not a single reinstallation/reactivation issue, all plain sailing, and I haven't even used a single activation.Seriously, just save yourselves (and MS support) some hassles people. Get the crack (or should I say 'activation problem workaround':) ) and don't worry about silly activation issues. We bought the software, we should be able to at least use it.

Fine, use it then. Just don't come here crying about how you can't install the SP1 update... :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator