Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Draw distance still broken sometimes :(

Just flew over Athens where it's particularly bad... buildings popping up at 2 miles distance. Link to official thread: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/draw-distance-still-broken/466043

LOD 400, Ultra settings.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I can confirm, same issue I'm having...

• Like 1

Jay

| PPL ASEL |
| i9-9900k | MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Trio 24Gb | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200Mhz | 32' 4K HDR | Windows 11

Have you tried cycling your settings to low then back to ultra etc? and your usercfg is not set to read only?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Have you tried cycling your settings to low then back to ultra etc? and your usercfg is not set to read only?

Yes, I have tried... I also tried to empty the community folder, switch on / off the rolling cache and reload the sim.

Usercfg.opt is set to normal and custom, not read only.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

It is just more randomness of MSFS.  It is almost like the settings don't apply in some areas.   

I have both LOD's set to 400 in user config, and I had buildings popping up all around me flying around Taipei the other day.

I have also seen rows of trees draw themselves in right as I pass over them in the middle of the English countryside, while I can see other trees right out to the horizon.  Very strange!

I don't use scenery caching, so it can't be that.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

It's probably due to a couple of things: streaming bandwidth, either because of a temporary bottleneck at your side or the server side, as it streams the landscape data and populates the world based on what it sees on the satellite imagery; or it's like Seb was saying last week, where you have lower quality data switching to higher quality, and that can be quite abrupt.

Like I just said in another thread, we're not going to find perfection -- not with contemporary hardware and, in this case, network infrastructures and the data MS/Asobo are given by authorities. I haven't played any game with zero popping in or some kind of graphical glitch. Can't think of a single one.

• Like 5

Maybe the sim doesn't like your config edits. Judging from your video, the LOD is pretty good. At high resolutions, some (visible) pop-in is always there.

• Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

It's probably due to a couple of things: streaming bandwidth, either because of a temporary bottleneck at your side or the server side, as it streams the landscape data and populates the world based on what it sees on the satellite imagery; or it's like Seb was saying last week, where you have lower quality data switching to higher quality, and that can be quite abrupt.

Like I just said in another thread, we're not going to find perfection -- not with contemporary hardware and, in this case, network infrastructures and the data MS/Asobo are given by authorities. I haven't played any game with zero popping in or some kind of graphical glitch. Can't think of a single one.

The thing is we did have (almost) perfection with the trees right out to the horizon pre-SU5 so it's possible to improve, right now with settings on max they're still not as good as they used to be in rendering terms.

Getting perfection is one thing, improving as best they can is another and theres still room to improve in ask these rendering areas.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

Maybe the sim doesn't like your config edits. Judging from your video, the LOD is pretty good. At high resolutions, some (visible) pop-in is always there.

Honestly my config file is currently NOT edited as I reverted cube map reflections to 256. It was custom due to texture supersampling 8x8 but even at standard Ultra settings the problem persists.

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

Yes you are right (although I don't remember graphics issues in The Witcher 3 or Asobo's A Plague Tale) but this draw distance problem is not a glitch: there is an algorithm determining the radius of the circle where objects are drawn and it is strange that in some parts of the world the draw distance is drastically lower than in others. A similar issue was with trees at high latitude with SU5, then they fixed it. Therefore I think it's a bug.

I don't think it's due to bandwidth inconsistency either, because it's perfectly reproducible in the same way and extent in Athens (and who knows how many other places). 

On 10/26/2021 at 11:53 AM, MrFuzzy said:

Honestly my config file is currently NOT edited as I reverted cube map reflections to 256. It was custom due to texture supersampling 8x8 but even at standard Ultra settings the problem persists.

Yeah sorry, I was out of the picture, didn't know LOD up to 400 was now part of he standard settings.

• Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB