Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

fsx 321 and flying a gps course with autopilot

can anyone please explain the exact steps for flying a gps course using autopilot? i cannot get the aircraft to follow the gps route using any combination of control buttons i can find. also, any explanation for what to do when the a floor light goes on?thanks.steve chavin

Hi SteveI open up the flightplanner, and load my departure and arrival airport.Depending on visibility it will either be VFR or IFR.Once that is done I go back to the aircraft and get clearance from ATC.Once I take off I generally request streight out departure and set my altitude and heading using the A/P.Once I have a positive rate of climb, and heading I switch on the GPS switch to On, then go to the Auto Pilot and activate the Nav switch which disengages the heading.Once that is done you should see the aircraft start to track your waypoints to the arrival airport which you loaded into your flightplanner.Good LuckKenny G.

kenny:thanks for the response. unfortunately, i am unable to find the nav switch you refer to. i looked for one before writing into the forum, and i looked again after rading your comment. there is a nav/gps switch along the top left hand area of the panel, and there is a heading switch which can be toggled on/off. i have tried flying with the heading switch engaged (works fine) and then disengaging the heading switch to allow the gps to take over, but this does not work. i cannot see any nav switches, although i am familiar with them on the boeing jets and some of the regional jets. can you send me a picture or give me a detailed description of where the nav switch is located?thanks fopr your help.steve chavin

I haven't done a flight for a while but from memory it's GPS and VOR LOC to make the plane follow the line on the GPS screen.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

>kenny:>>thanks for the response. unfortunately, i am unable to find>the nav switch you refer to. i looked for one before writing>into the forum, and i looked again after rading your comment. >there is a nav/gps switch along the top left hand area of the>panel, and there is a heading switch which can be toggled>on/off. i have tried flying with the heading switch engaged>(works fine) and then disengaging the heading switch to allow>the gps to take over, but this does not work. i cannot see>any nav switches, although i am familiar with them on the>boeing jets and some of the regional jets. can you send me a>picture or give me a detailed description of where the nav>switch is located?>>thanks fopr your help.>>steve chavinSteve:The GPS/Nav switch is usually on the instrument panel.It may look like a toggle switch.I fly the FSD Piper Seneca, and the GPS/Nav button is to the right of the Radio Stack.The A/P Nav hold button is on the same line as the Heading, Approach, Backcourse and Altitude Hold buttons.Like described in my earlier post switch the Nav/Gps to GPS then switch the Nav Hold button to on, which is on the Auto Pilot Panel.I guess I don't have to tell you this, but make sure your Auto Pilot Master switch is On LOL:).Kenny G.

kenny:thanks for the info. what you are describing is the usual fs arrangement. the gps/nav button is at the top left end of the a 321 panel. what i cannot find is the nav hold button, which appears to be missing from the 2d and virtual cockpit in fsx (unless i am simply overlooking it). maxcsuggested in 1 of the responses that you need to use the loc switch in the autopilot control to select the gps for navigation (after choosing gps/navigation; i tried this last night and it works a charm. (thanks for the clue, max.) i do not know if microsoft mislabelled the nav hold swich or if the airbus is different (i understand that real airbuses do not use gps, only fmc.anyway, the problem is now solved, and thanks to all who helped.steve chavin

Steve:Great to hear you have your problem solved.Kenny G.P.S. I do not fly the default FSX aircraft just the FSD Piper Seneca.Have a safe one:)

Airbus has adopted a terminology which is a little different from the US. LOC stands for localizer and tracking a localizer signal, and can be used to track a VOR radial.It's the same thing as the NAV switch on older model autopilots in FS.