Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

CPU temps used to be 85+ now 45+

Computer only 13 months old, purchased already built. Slowly as months went by, temps began to rise. At 85+ running MSFS and would sometimes peak at about 100 in heavy scenery and other heavy programs running on the desktop. Now I have never seen even 60 and usually runs MSFS in the low 40s. Desktop programs without MSFS running is in the 30s (it used to be the 70s).

Only thing I did was replace the original water cooler (house brand) with a new one. Enermax Liqmax III 120 RGB AIO CPU Liquid Cooler from Amazon. A very basic water cooler but Enermax is well known PSU company and the build quality looked very good. My cup/gpu are low watt low performance so I didn't need bigger radiators and fans.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VFCCRMR

I first just tried new thermal gel but that didn't help but a whole new cooler did the trick.

If someone gets that cooler this is a youtube video showing installation (the Enermax booklet and YT videos were not enough detail on some fine points that you need to know for this particular cooler). Like how the screw heads face in order to lock the screws etc.

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

My old machine with the 4770k used to run at average temps of 95c to 100c, I know not ideal but that chip was known to run hot!!

My new machine runs in the 20's when browsing the web and hits a max of 58c when using MSFS. Its also whisper quiet regardless of what program I throw at it!

Edited by shamrockflyer
  • Like 1

My rig run's about 40 browsing the web and a even 60 with MSFS , I also use MSI afterburner to adjust the fan settings .

My CPU is running at 85 C under heavy use, even spiking to 90 C. That's with a Noctua NH-D15 2 x 140 mm cooler. I used to have a Corsair H100x 240 mm liquid cooler, but it didn't get any better cooling. 

I think the reason is the fire breathing monster 400 W RTX 3090 sitting just below it in the case.

To get any better CPU temps I would have to get a 360 mm radiator, but my case doesn't have room for it without dismantling the hard drive rack.

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Chances are you're upgrading your CPU (and shelving the old one) long before high temp long term damage has any effect. I've never seen anyone who prematurily destroyed his CPU (or GPU) by high temps; that's what thermal throttling is for. Of course you don't want thermal throttling for performance reasons, but 85 degrees under load is no problem at all; have been running that for years and years...

• Like 3

I must of peaked at 115 because in heavy scenery would very occasionally get complete system shutdown, I presume the power supply triggered it's circuit breaker. The temps were getting higher and higher each month. It was going to get worse unless I did something. I could tell the pump was losing effectiveness over the months, because the exhaust flow felt less hot than when the computer was new, despite the higher temps.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

55 minutes ago, Fielder said:

I must of peaked at 115 because in heavy scenery would very occasionally get complete system shutdown, I presume the power supply triggered it's circuit breaker. The temps were getting higher and higher each month. It was going to get worse unless I did something. I could tell the pump was losing effectiveness over the months, because the exhaust flow felt less hot than when the computer was new, despite the higher temps.

The old cooler might not have been completely flat and made bad contact with the chip itself. Maybe in addition to aging thermal paste. 

Glad to hear you got a great improvement from the new cooler! That Enermax must have helped tremendously. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

right now cpu is only 51C but the exhaust fan is blowing out really hot air. Proof that the cooler is doing its job!

What the heck? These temps I've seen people reporting..

Buy a gosh darn  better cooler. You guys are nearing and or at Tj. Max. You're killing your CPU and performance 

Edited by styckx
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

"Buy a gosh darn  better cooler."

I'm limited due to a very small case. If I was going to have a 3090 card and top cpu, it would be in a full tower (room for hardware too cool all those watts of power). Power is heat. So I just got a very good lightweight cooling device, and it lowered temps by 35 to 40 C than it was before. In conditions where it was 90 it's now 55, etc.

If you buy one of those portable electric space heaters, you judge how much heat it will provide by its watts rating (watts is a measurement of power). Watts is heat. Power is heat.

• Upvote 1

I run a 9900K in a sg13 case the size of a shoebox and the biggest air cooler that would fit was a low profile Big Shuriken 3. It turned into a toaster oven,

I ended up ghetto modding the case to shoe horn in an Artic Liquid Freezer II 120  38mm thick AIO (which according to reviews has similar performance to many 240mm radiator AIOs) and I have had no issues since.  Fantastic cooler.

This photo is BEFORE I added the second fan for push/pull.  It was a tight squeeze 😄

Fd4bDRr.jpeg

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

Steve Whatshisname's videos on correct orientation of impeller ('pump') vs. radiator has been viral on youtube for a couple years and discord. At 19:42 and right after the images show all you need to know.

5 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I run a 9900K in a sg13 case the size of a shoebox and the biggest air cooler that would fit was a low profile Big Shuriken 3. It turned into a toaster oven,

I ended up ghetto modding the case to shoe horn in an Artic Liquid Freezer II 120  38mm thick AIO (which according to reviews has similar performance to many 240mm radiator AIOs) and I have had no issues since.  Fantastic cooler.

I run the Liquid Freezer II 360 on my 5800X. Cooler is a best and well worth the money especially how inexpensive they are in comparison to all the RGB laden word not allowed out there.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

I'm holding out for BAW, not just RGB ! Sounds! Bells and Whistles!