Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

MSFS FPS slowed three times today - new issue for me

Today during a three-hour flight from Baltimore to Indiana I had my FPS slow into the mid-teens from a locked 30.  I was flying GA at 10,000 on top of an overcast.  My initial attempt at the first instance was to check and modify my settings for live traffic.  No change in FPS.  Went back into the settings and dialed LOD back from 400 to 200.  Instant change back to my locked 30 FPS.  Waited about two minutes.  Back into settings and dialed LOD back to 400.  No problem.  Stayed at 30 FPS.  About an hour later I experienced the same rate of slowing in FPS.  Suspicious, I again changed LOD.  But only barely.  Back to 400.  Returned to flying.  Back to normal FPS of 30.  Smooth.  Issue came back again later,  Back to settings. Dialed back LOD, but only instantly and then back to 400 before even returning to flight.  Back to normal.  Smooth 30 again until landing and shutdown.

I flew the same route in the opposite direction three days ago with nothing like this happening.  Same addons in Community.  Made no changes.  I have not before had this happen.  Not since before upgrading my 1070 ti to a 3070 ti.  No recent driver changes or Windows updates.  Any ideas?

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

" Dialed back LOD, but only instantly and then back to 400 before even returning to flight.  Back to normal. "

Thanks, I'll keep that trick in mind !

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

4 hours ago, fppilot said:

Any ideas?

Just brainstorming.....

The impression I get is that for some reason a processing backlog builds up, perhaps due to your OFF SCREEN TERRAIN PRE-CACHING setting, and any adjustment of the Terrain LOD results in that backlog being dumped. Then as time passes the processing backlog builds up again.

Why this would suddenly happen I have no idea. You might try repeating that trip to see if it happens again and if for some reason seems to be unique to that particular flight plan, which would be really strange to say the least.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

No one wants to go to Indiana including MSFS.  Wish I was in a situation where 400 LOD was ' dialing it back " . lol  , rich people problems... hah.

12 hours ago, fppilot said:

Today during a three-hour flight from Baltimore to Indiana I had my FPS slow into the mid-teens from a locked 30.  I was flying GA at 10,000 on top of an overcast.  My initial attempt at the first instance was to check and modify my settings for live traffic.  No change in FPS.  Went back into the settings and dialed LOD back from 400 to 200.  Instant change back to my locked 30 FPS.  Waited about two minutes.  Back into settings and dialed LOD back to 400.  No problem.  Stayed at 30 FPS.  About an hour later I experienced the same rate of slowing in FPS.  Suspicious, I again changed LOD.  But only barely.  Back to 400.  Returned to flying.  Back to normal FPS of 30.  Smooth.  Issue came back again later,  Back to settings. Dialed back LOD, but only instantly and then back to 400 before even returning to flight.  Back to normal.  Smooth 30 again until landing and shutdown.

I flew the same route in the opposite direction three days ago with nothing like this happening.  Same addons in Community.  Made no changes.  I have not before had this happen.  Not since before upgrading my 1070 ti to a 3070 ti.  No recent driver changes or Windows updates.  Any ideas?

Server slowdowns?  I've seen MSFS performance tank then return to normal on it's own a few times.  Just assume it's a server slowdown causing loading to slow.  Never been able top pinpoint it but performance always returns on its own. 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

3 hours ago, AmeliaCat said:

No one wants to go to Indiana including MSFS.  Wish I was in a situation where 400 LOD was ' dialing it back " . lol  , rich people problems... hah.

He was dialling it back to 200.

This could be MSFS not shedding the scenery and scenery objects after flying over them, so it builds up in a trail behind instead of flushing them from memory when they are out of visual range.

I run at 400/400 on LOD now, so I will try a longer flight tonight and see if I get the same issue. 

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

He was dialling it back to 200.

This could be MSFS not shedding the scenery and scenery objects after flying over them, so it builds up in a trail behind instead of flushing them from memory when they are out of visual range.

I run at 400/400 on LOD now, so I will try a longer flight tonight and see if I get the same issue. 

Haha  OT but I just read your signature.  Reminds me of this guy!!

http://archive.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/15-minutes-of-fame-for-welcome-to-cleveland-sign-lasts-37-years-b99627742z1-360471381.html

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I suspect slowdowns on the server, yesterday when I turned off Live Weather I got about 10 fps increase, my live weather situation was clear sky, but even thunderstorm preset gave me better performance.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

17 minutes ago, psolk said:

Ha!  Don't tempt me any further Paul!  I like these little 'home improvement' projects when I get bored.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Ha!  Don't tempt me any further Paul!  I like these little 'home improvement' projects when I get bored.  :biggrin:

My wife says the 3 scariest words out of my mouth are "Honey, I'm bored"  

9 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I suspect slowdowns on the server, yesterday when I turned off Live Weather I got about 10 fps increase, my live weather situation was clear sky, but even thunderstorm preset gave me better performance.

This is what I have always "assumed" as the FPS situation normally rectifies itself at some point which imho indicates more of an upstream issue than local but to @bobcat999 point it could be MSFS caching/writing as well.  Would be interesting to monitor disk usage read/writes when it happens.. 

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

9 hours ago, psolk said:

Server slowdowns?  I've seen MSFS performance tank then return to normal on it's own a few times.  Just assume it's a server slowdown causing loading to slow.  Never been able top pinpoint it but performance always returns on its own. 

Seriously doubt it in the case of this issue. Why then would essentially just touching the LOD slider return performance to normal?  What would that have to do with a slow server.  I doubt me touching that slider would have any influence on a distant MSFS server.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/after-playing-a-few-hours-fps-drops-from-40-to-5fps/389603/578

Seems like the new LOD setting brought some problems with it (which was to be expected), me personally I get that too after SU6 and I suspect a problem with photogrammetry and very high LOD setting, but anyway, you are not the only one, especially after SU6.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Seriously doubt it in the case of this issue. Why then would essentially just touching the LOD slider return performance to normal?  What would that have to do with a slow server.  I doubt me touching that slider would have any influence on a distant MSFS server.

Isn't the photogrammetry data impacting overall LOD coming from the MS servers?  Lower LOD=less server demand?  I'm asking on that one, not sure.

You may be right but I have personally seen numerous issues that seem to be "fixed" by enabling/disabling online data at times.  You don't have to be influencing a distant MSFS server by changing a setting, but I don't know if it subsequently resets something as simple as a packet  when you apply that change and that packet reset resolves the issue...   It's strange how many issues have come back to enabling/disabling online data.  

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

FWIW, Until the last 72 to 96 hours my FPS is always stellar. Locked at 60, all indications continuous and fully green. 95 % Of configs set at Ultra, the remainder at High.  i79700k, MSI Z390 Gaming Plus Mobo. 32G 3600 DDR. Nvidia2070 Super. Everything stock clock. 

Like I said, it never has less that 60FPS but the past day or two it has been running between 40-50. If it was just me seeing this I would suspect my setup. Since multiple folks are seeing similar degradation I suggest MS/Asobo should investigate the platform

-B

Edited by btacon

Just something else to check, I had, on several occasions lately, my FPS tank as well. One thing I noticed was during loading of MSFS the intro screens even showed signs of low FPS. Upon opening of the Task Manager, I found the Windows Print Spooler Service eating CPU cycles. Not sure why, may be the new Win 11 thing since my machine recently updated to this. I ended the task and all was well again. Since the Windows 11 Upgrade this has happened several times and each time that service seems to be going nuts. I let it run the last time and it eventually finished WHATEVER it was up to then all was fine again. Probably not going to help this thread but if you notice things slow from Sim Start, that may be the bogey. Good luck all..

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders