Sign in to follow this  
nyfirefly11

Which monitor would you rather have?

I currently have an older 32” BenQ IPS 4K 60hz that I use with my new rig (3080) that seems to work pretty well.

My work might offer me a new monitor to use at home, so I was thinking about new options. Ideally, I’d get a 32”+ 4K with true g-sync, but those are quite expensive.

Looking at some options, I could potentially do:

1. 34-5” curved 2K VA or IPS, 1ms, 100hz -180hz, g-sync or FreeSync

2. 32” flat 4K VA or IPS, 60hz, 4-5ms, FreeSync

3. 34” flat 2K VA or IPS, 75hz, 4-5ms, FreeSync

4. 32” flat 2K IPS, 175hz, 1ms, g-sync

Which would you rather get, and what do you think would be an “upgrade” over my current specs?

I don’t have a store nearby where I can see these (though I suppose I could test 2k on my current monitor). But I don’t know how much resolution, sync capabilities, panel type, and response times will make a difference with MSFS or XP11.

Edited by nyfirefly11

1 hour ago, nyfirefly11 said:

I currently have an older 32” BenQ IPS 4K 60hz that I use with my new rig (3080) that seems to work pretty well.

My work might offer me a new monitor to use at home, so I was thinking about new options. Ideally, I’d get a 32”+ 4K with true g-sync, but those are quite expensive.

Looking at some options, I could potentially do:

1. 34-5” curved 2K VA or IPS, 1ms, 100hz -180hz, g-sync or FreeSync

2. 32” flat 4K VA or IPS, 60hz, 4-5ms, FreeSync

3. 34” flat 2K VA or IPS, 75hz, 4-5ms, FreeSync

4. 32” flat 2K IPS, 175hz, 1ms, g-sync

Which would you rather get, and what do you think would be an “upgrade” over my current specs?

I don’t have a store nearby where I can see these (though I suppose I could test 2k on my current monitor). But I don’t know how much resolution, sync capabilities, panel type, and response tiles will make a difference with MSFS or XP11.

What is your viewing distance?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

25 minutes ago, nyfirefly11 said:

About 3 feet

Sorry I asked that too simple question.  What drives your interest?  Will you be locking your frame rate? Or are you after the max FPS you can get from your system?  i.e do you want to chase max specs/performance?  What type of flying do you do?  I assume single monitor. 

With the multitude of videos I have watched the curved monitors appear to be best suited to faster larger aircraft such as biz jets, regional jets, and airliners.  I recommend you watch some simulator monitor review videos as well. We all are different in regard to flying style and workstation environment. Its not a one size fits all scenario.   I fly GA and use my system (and monitor) for personal business and investment management.  I tried a curved monitor for a few days and it was just not a fit for me, not so much because of simulation, but more due to the multipurpose use.

I currently use a flat 28 inch true 4K ASUS monitor , Freesync, Adaptive Sync.  It serves me well for all purposes.  Not a plug for the monitor I use.  Just responding based on objectives and experience.  

If I ever created a single-purpose simulator environment/station I would likely build in a curved monitor with an eye toward viewing distance in regard to the size.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Personally I'd go with something full G-Sync, NOT just G-sync compatible. Must have a variable refresh rate that starts at 1hz. From that I'd narrow it down to 1440P and from that to the size. No smaller than 32'. 

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Thanks. I’d definitely like full g-sync, just can’t decide if I want to spend the money. 🙂

I fly 90% airliners / 10% GA with a single monitor. I’m not sure if I can tell the difference between 30 and 60fps consciously, but I think my brain feels it.

It sounds like G-sync is more important than resolution?

The difference in price is there for sure, but it's well worth it imo. If you play other games as well it becomes even moreso. With a proper G Sync monitor, you wouldn't have to even think about the difference between 30 and 60fps as they would be equally smooth. The big thing is to ensure that it has the variable refresh rate that goes to 1mhz. G Sync compatible monitors  won't even come close to that low.

Just for reference.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Just now learning about G-Sync while in the market for a monitor, firstly, am understanding it correctly that the G-Sync feature "synchronizes" the refresh rate of the monitor to match what the game is playing at which reduces/eliminates screen stuttering... Am I interpreting this correctly?

Second, that G-Sync "compatible" is NOT truly G-sync? If not, does this G-sync "compatible" variant bring any benefit to the table vs a comparable specced non G-sync monitor? 

Third, being as I am going Mac Mini M1 chip with XP, (go ahead and beat me up...), do the same rules and benefits apply regarding G-Sync?

Thank you,

Paul

My understanding is that g-sync keeps FPS in sync with the refresh rate, which is variable.

True g-sync is a proprietary chip in the monitor (why it’s so expensive), which I think FreeSync / g-sync compatible is more of a software solution (I could be wrong).

Does the Mac Mini have a Nvidia graphics option that works with g-sync? I don’t think Apple is using Nvidia graphics (and I don’t think g-sync will help).

4 hours ago, nyfirefly11 said:

My understanding is that g-sync keeps FPS in sync with the refresh rate, which is variable.

Does the Mac Mini have a Nvidia graphics option that works with g-sync? I don’t think Apple is using Nvidia graphics (and I don’t think g-sync will help).

A little more research your correct, G-sync is of no benefit to current M1 Macs, the M1 Apple stuff is not using Nvidia, (looks like the GPU is part of Apples M1 architecture?..

Thank you. 

On 10/29/2021 at 2:06 AM, Dave_YVR said:

The difference in price is there for sure, but it's well worth it imo. If you play other games as well it becomes even moreso. With a proper G Sync monitor, you wouldn't have to even think about the difference between 30 and 60fps as they would be equally smooth. The big thing is to ensure that it has the variable refresh rate that goes to 1mhz. G Sync compatible monitors  won't even come close to that low.

Just for reference.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Thank you for the link very useful! 

One question here, why the Samsung G9 Odyssey 49 inch monitor is not listed here? I thought that it is G-Sync monitor 

It's in the list, sort it by Brand to make it easier to spot. The G9 is just G-Sync compatible, where the G-Sync only starts to work at 60fps and above which doesn't do anything for P3d unless you can always maintain 60+ fps.

#2.  Have it, love it.  LG 32", IPS, 4K, 60hz.  Beautiful.

Stan

How important is HDR support? The true g-sync monitors are so expensive - and there are very few with HDR.

I see what you’re saying about g-sync compatible monitors - the variable refresh only starts above 45 or 60hz.

I'm not sure you'd see much of an upgrade with any of those in the list if you already have a 32" 4K IPS monitor. Is there something you're not happy with when using your current 32" 4K monitor? Does the absence of Gsync cause you any issues?