Sign in to follow this  
Richard Greaney

Best immersive display for single HDMI output

Hi all

I've been a long time flight simmer over the years, but other than a brief dabble with XPlane 10, I've done virtually nothing since the late 2000s. Seeing FS2020's preview a couple of years back, I knew that that was going to be the tool to get me back into simming again. And now I have.

I've chosen the XBox Series X as the console. I did that rather than spend considerably more money, and also to have to research the current state of gaming PC hardware, then likely buy something that still doesn't run it at full detail. Years ago, I enjoyed tinkering. Now, what I want is a point-and-shoot simulator. 

The only drawback with this decision (I knew it at the time) is that the Xbox only has a single HDMI output. Back when I was active with FS9, I experimented using a fresnel lens hung in front of my 17" CRT monitor, and the realism was so good that nothing has ever quite topped it for me. It's not the size increase that makes the difference, it's the fact that it moves the focal point out to infinity. This just made it really feel like you were looking outside at a runway in the distance, rather than looking at one on a screen that's so close you could reach out and touch it.

I'm curious to hear what suggestions others have for creating immersive displays in 2021. Fresnel lenses never seemed to take off.. Maybe it was the distorting or chromatic aberrations, I'm not sure. I do have a large wall I could use to project onto if I use a projector, but then I have the added challenge of mounting it, and also the cost (of buying and running it). Another thought that crossed my mind was FPV goggles that could display 1080p. Or, of course, there's the standard option of getting one large flatscreen TV.

What should I be considering here?

Richard