Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Waiting for Alder Lake / DDR5

1 hour ago, Republic3D said:

The game is being run on a remote server with "3080 ti" like performance, and all that's happening on your end is the visuals being piped from the server. 
There's still issues with latency and such, but it might not be a problem with flight sims.

In theory you could run it on almost any system, so I don't know why they're mentioning it.

Us slow internet peeps can only wish for this. Sigh.

Edited by 40track

2 minutes ago, Spit40 said:

Thanks for that information. Guess a 10900k would be just as good as a 12900k then. Still, might as well be futureproofed. I like to skip a few generations each time I upgrade.

One thing I find interesting is the difference between the 10900k and 12900k.   

The Ryzen 9 5900x is 12 cores / 24 threads.    5950x is 16c/32t.

10900k (Comet Lake) is 10 cores and 20 threads.    

Alder lake is 16 cores / 24 threads,  BUT,  8 of it's cores are "performance cores" and 8 of it's cores are "efficiency cores".

So basically,  the 12900k is still a gas guzzler when you floor it,  but,  it should draw substantially less when you're just surfing the web or consuming media.

It's no secret that Intel has been having trouble getting down to 7nm for a while now,   while AMD has been there for almost 2 years now. 

My current 10900k was purchased right at the start of the pandemic,  in preparation for msfs.   

I never used to even consider such things as power consumption,  but I'm more conscious of our environment now.   And besides,  inefficiency doesn't make sense to my brain anymore.

A 12900k would be fun to play with,  but I haven't built a AMD system in a year and half now.  I really like AMD's direction over the last 2 generations or so.

🎶Should I stay or should I go now......🎶

Forgot to mention,   my local Microcenter is dropping the 12900k on Nov 4th.   $669.00

They didn't have any motherboards listed.

Be aware this new tech going to need beefier Power supplies too with Alder lake power draw.

Edited by 40track
reworded
  • Like 1

I’m going to build my first build in a long time. Would you guys recommend waiting for the 12th gen? Or go for intel’s 11th gen? Considering the prices of components of both gen parts.

Also, my general observation is that Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU combo tend to provide the most stable performance in MSFS vs Ryzen CPU’s and Nvidia GPU’s. Is this true? Or would you guys recommend Ryzen CPU’s as well?

My 10850k is barely being pushed as it is so not sure I'd upgrade in the next 3-5 years. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

32 minutes ago, FAZZ3 said:

I’m going to build my first build in a long time. Would you guys recommend waiting for the 12th gen? Or go for intel’s 11th gen? Considering the prices of components of both gen parts.

Also, my general observation is that Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU combo tend to provide the most stable performance in MSFS vs Ryzen CPU’s and Nvidia GPU’s. Is this true? Or would you guys recommend Ryzen CPU’s as well?

11900k and DDR3200. No issues however no comparison between the 2 ATM. Just make sure the PSU is 850 watt upwards whatever you decide now.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FAZZ3 said:

My R9 5900X plays nicely with the RTX 3090. Very stable system. 

If you're considering AMD, just keep in mind that they're currently on the end of the AM4 platform. There is a couple of refreshed 5-series chips coming soon, but after that it's over to AM5 and a new line of motherboards and chips. 

But the same is true with Intel 11th gen. So if I were to build a new system today, I would go for Intel 12th gen. In 6 months, maybe AMD AM5.

edit: just wanted to add that AMD prices might drop soon because Intel 12th Gen is priced more competitively. 

Edited by Republic3D
  • Like 3

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

A few things ive noticed.

The proper performance reviews are embargoed till day of release. So i would recommend catching an objective review or two before clicking the buy button. (I know this is hard considering the great chip shortage)

I do like the fact that intels msrp is a clear intention to undercut AMD pricing. May influence AMD to come back to sanity when the last hurrah Vcache chips come out. However,, watch out for the z690 motherboard+ DDR5 prices. So overall cost of entry may not be as enticing once all that is factored in.

I plan to stay with Windows 10 for a bit which Intel notably states their hardware core scheduler works best with windows 11. However if the numbers are absolutely blowing AMD out of the water and DX12 does not ease that mainthread issue that is plaguing this sim im selling the entire box and restarting from scratch. If the Lead is not that big then my plans to sell the 5900x and pick up the vcache version of it will remain the plan. 

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

1 hour ago, FAZZ3 said:

Huh ??

How does CPU choice affect stability for MSFS? 

I'm going to take it that you aren't really asking a serious question here.. Rather for confirmation of your preference.

That's ok .. Build according to your preference.

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Single core performance is still a big factor for MSFS performance (e.g. limited by main thread).  So I will be looking at this rather than how many cores.  I would have thought 8 cores would be enough for MSFS, as it isn't Cinebench. :smile:

So Alder Lake looks like it will run away with the single core performance title.

It has been the story of the last few years.  Intel - optimise to get the best single core performance.  AMD - let's see how many cores we can put on a die.  That's not exactly the full story, but that seems to be the essence of if.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

13 hours ago, Nemo said:

What are your thoughts, anybody else with upgrade plans?

I have similar plans (DDR5 / Alder Lake) but I am not going to do anything for about a year.

I want to see if the supply chain issues reduce a little bit, and I am going to give the DDR5 sticks time to mature.   Also for me, my thought is to bypass the 3xxx series nvidia cards.  Not that I don't like them, but I have real reservations about dropping $1,000-$1,500 for a video card that is already likely halfway thru its top-end cycle.

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

4 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

It has been the story of the last few years.  Intel - optimise to get the best single core performance.  AMD - let's see how many cores we can put on a die. 

Hasn't been that way for single core IPC and clocks for a while... 

• Upvote 2

The 690 MB comes in 2 versions DDR4 or DDR5 If you buy the DDR4 you cannot later fit DDR5 ram no board supports both, the 12900K TDP 125W full boost 240W, less than the present 11th gen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 hours ago, Mace said:

I have similar plans (DDR5 / Alder Lake) but I am not going to do anything for about a year.

I want to see if the supply chain issues reduce a little bit, and I am going to give the DDR5 sticks time to mature.   Also for me, my thought is to bypass the 3xxx series nvidia cards.  Not that I don't like them, but I have real reservations about dropping $1,000-$1,500 for a video card that is already likely halfway thru its top-end cycle.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you; whilst it's tempting to upgrade to something lightning fast now, the inflated prices really make me think twice. Once everyone get their social lives back and get off their computers supply should outstrip demand and we should see sane pricing again. I'm certainly going to hold off until then. RTX 40xx series is probably my next stop together with a next-gen CPU. So lucky that MSFS performs so well on current hardware with reasonable reach on the sliders (2070S+9900K), it's just for VR (G2) where I wouldn't mind being able to go harder on the hardware.