Sign in to follow this  
YoYo

DX12 - 18th November!

1 hour ago, hansb57 said:

There has been 2 times in my (almost) 30 years gaming "career"  that I was really surpised.

The first one being in the ninties when a F-16 game got a  3dfx patch for my voodoo 2 and with SU5.

What was the other?

Dx12 without upgrading the game to take advantage of it is a bit like putting high octane racing fuel in your standard unmodified family SUV.

In both cases cases there is no benefit until you make the necessary mods to take advantage of the change. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Greazer said:

What was the other?

SU5 for MSFS

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

11 hours ago, Greazer said:
15 hours ago, turbomax said:

DX12 is more than DX11, so it MUST perform better.

That is some of the worst "logic" posted about software in a while.

I am glad you appreciated the "logic" in my post.

😀🙉 😀 🙉

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

11 hours ago, Greazer said:

All I want is more smoothness. ie panning in the cockpit. If they include more threading and a few more FPS that would be icing on the cake.

If you haven't tried this and you have an Nvidia GPU, go into NCP and set Low Latency to ULTRA.  This improves cockpit panning, even after setting off-screen precache to what ever your system can handle--very noticeable improvement.

• Upvote 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

13 hours ago, SolRayz said:

My 3090 is looking forward...

Thus far 3090 has not had much to show for itself over 3080Ti and even 3080 and for the upcharge and sheer 7 lb weight of the card...I sure hope so!   Nice for owners to never have to consider VRAM, ever!  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Thus far 3090 has not had much to show for itself over 3080Ti and even 3080 and for the upcharge and sheer 7 lb weight of the card...I sure hope so!   Nice for owners to never have to consider VRAM, ever!  

Yeah, unfortunately the 3080Ti wasn't available at the time of the 3090 purchase. But looking at current stock and availability, I actually paid less for the 3090 back in January. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

2 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

Yeah, unfortunately the 3080Ti wasn't available at the time of the 3090 purchase. But looking at current stock and availability, I actually paid less for the 3090 back in January. 

Good for you!  Right now 3080Ti is perfect for MSFS with how I'm set up, and by that I mean perfectly matched to my CPU's capabilities, and w/ regard to VRAM as well.   Right now the critical hardware to set up the sim for is my CPU.  I finally learned where settings need to be to fly the B787 HD into any terminal at any time of day and never get the FPS drop on approach and taxi to the gate, and that was by using Dev Mode's FPS monitor to set LOD Terrain to the point at which the sim goes from Main Thread Limited to GPU Limited--this seems to guarantee perfectly smooth video no matter where I'm at.  That number turns out to be 220, even though I can run LOD's 400/400 in less planes in lesser airports.   As long as I never need to stop in-flight I'm happy ;o)

Noel

10 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

If the switchover to DirectX 12 is stable for everyone on PC, then they will probably start work on the benefits of DirectX 12 in future updates.

Thank you for that response, but you only partially answered the question.  Likely little or nothing to begin with.  OK.  But then what do you expect in future benefits when they do work on it?  That was the crux of my question.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

9 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Thank you for that response, but you only partially answered the question.  Likely little or nothing to begin with.  OK.  But then what do you expect in future benefits when they do work on it?  That was the crux of my question.

Real-time ray tracing will be one of the potential effects it enables. It also enables multiple CPU cores to communicate with the GPU concurrently.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Real-time ray tracing will be one of the potential effects it enables. It also enables multiple CPU cores to communicate with the GPU concurrently.

Thank you!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

22 minutes ago, fppilot said:

But then what do you expect in future benefits when they do work on it?  That was the crux of my question.

There could be significant performance and memory benefits if things like mesh shading and variable rate shading are implemented (the sim would be a good candidate given the amount of autogen drawn at distance). Sampler feedback may also help with smoothness and load times.

Some info here:

DirectX 12 (DX12) Ultimate API | NVIDIA GeForce

Asteroids Mesh Shaders Demo - YouTube

Edited by DylanM
  • Like 2