Sign in to follow this  
truthknown

Regional aircraft selections

Hi,

Wanted to bring up a thought on regional airlines with PSXT. At least in the US, but likely elsewhere, regional carriers fly for numerous airlines. Now while we can specify registration codes to various liveries that somewhat allow the right livery to appear for a given regional flight (take Skywest or Republic for example who flies for American, United, Delta, and I think Alaska as well), this doesn't work so well for spawning parked aircraft. So at KORD for example, pier G should all be American Eagle liveries on the regional jets that park there, but I get a mix of American Eagle, Delta Connection, and United Express. 

Could we have a means in which the correct livery gets parked at a gate where the regional carrier covers multiple carriers? So in the previous example, the afcad likely shows "AAL" as the airline for those gates, but because the airline for the aircraft is "SKW" or "RPA" or "ASH" or "ENY" or one of the numerous regional carrier that serve the big US carriers, it doesn't match the "AAL" and so it randomly picks a livery from the set available in the xml file for that specific plane and airline. If there was another field, say "operatedfor" or "opf" or something, that would then specify the mainline carrier, "AAL", then PSXT could match the correct livery option for that aircraft as it spawns as a parked aircraft.

Is something like this possible? So many airports across the US are affected by this.

The reverse occurs too with AI aircraft. Flai puts different liveries all under Skywest "SKW", while AIG puts liveries under the mainline carriers "AAL" and specifies in the livery title that it is "obp Skywest".

I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Lezama

Hi Chris,

There already is a sort of solution for this problem, read this thread, as requested by DLH7A

Nico

Edited by kiek

I see what you did. Partial solution but does not work everywhere. In KORD for example, the FSDT version 2 has 3 code in the airls field for the G gates:

<parkpos id="G10" airls="AAL,JBU,KAP" />

While what we are looking for in this case is "AAL", based on your implementation, it wont even try here because it has more than 1 airline code listed...

Same in the E Gates: <parkpos id="E1" airls="ACA,ASA,DAL" /> where we want "DAL"

I also notice that the AFCAD just has wrong airline codes at many gates which you cannot do anything about, and the afcad section is not even in the parked_updates version of the KORD.xml, only the one in the airports folder.

I just wish there was a more full solution.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Lezama

Oh, and for AIG aircraft, it will never work because they do not put the airline code in the title of the aircraft, only the full spelled out name of the airline - "American Airlines" instead of "AAL"

Having a parameter we could set would work much better...

Chris Lezama

13 hours ago, truthknown said:

and the afcad section is not even in the parked_updates version of the KORD.xml, only the one in the airports folder.

That's easy to solve, delete the file in the parked_updates folder. PSXT will automatically pick up the one in the airports folder and starts learning form there.

Edited by kiek

19 hours ago, truthknown said:

Having a parameter we could set would work much better...

Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, but this is not just a matter of 1 parameter...

What is needed?

Assuming the livery has (at least) the main carrier airline code (AAL).

To be done by you as user, add/insert in the livery title  opb  <IVAO airline code>

and you should give each regional carrier livery the  registration code, otherwise PSXT cannot match the right livery, and it will have no info to make correct additions to your airport file, see below.

To be done by me, add an optional field to each entry in the AI_Liveries.xml file:

<livery airline="RPA" type="E75L" opf="AAL" folder="1" cargo="false" title="E75L American Eagle opb RPA N116HQ" atc_id="N116HQ" />

and an optional field in the airport file:

<option airline="RPA" type="E75L" opf="AAL" real="true" hours="5,6" />

and of course I'll have to change several of my algorithms to take the optional field into account.

With all this in place, PSXT will, if this is the airport file:

<parkpos id="A25" latitude="39.854389" longitude="-104.678078" heading="167.3" radius="23.0" cargo="false" ramp="false">
        <aircraft>
            <option airline="AAL" type="B739" real="true" hours="0,1,2,4,13,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,23" />
            <option airline="AAL" type="B752" real="true" hours="4,5" />
            <option airline="AAL" type="BCS3" real="true" hours="0,1,2,4,5" />
            <option airline="RPA"  type="E75L" opf="AAL" real="true" hours="5,6" />
        </aircraft>

be able to park an RPA for AAL livery at that gate and it will not park other regional carriers there...

=====================

It is not a major overhaul, but it  takes more memory and it slows down processing (although not noticeable by you).

So the question is how many users would like to see this? Note also that this is merely a North American problem... 

An advantage would be that I can remove the -undocumented- solution made for DLH7A, and that we are independent of (wrong?) AFCAD info😉

Have to give it some more thought.

Nico

Edited by kiek

I have flown a bit at KORD, and I see that these regional carriers fly under their own AIrline code, so that makes it easier to do it like this:

In the fltsim section in the title add opf <major airline code>

and in the atc_parking_codes line just the airline code of the regional carrier.

Edited by kiek

On 10/31/2021 at 6:24 AM, kiek said:

To be done by me, add an optional field to each entry in the AI_Liveries.xml file:

<livery airline="RPA" type="E75L" opf="AAL" folder="1" cargo="false" title="E75L American Eagle opb RPA N116HQ" atc_id="N116HQ" />

and an optional field in the airport file:

<option airline="RPA" type="E75L" opf="AAL" real="true" hours="5,6" />

and of course I'll have to change several of my algorithms to take the optional field into account.

With all this in place, PSXT will, if this is the airport file:

<parkpos id="A25" latitude="39.854389" longitude="-104.678078" heading="167.3" radius="23.0" cargo="false" ramp="false">
        <aircraft>
            <option airline="AAL" type="B739" real="true" hours="0,1,2,4,13,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,23" />
            <option airline="AAL" type="B752" real="true" hours="4,5" />
            <option airline="AAL" type="BCS3" real="true" hours="0,1,2,4,5" />
            <option airline="RPA"  type="E75L" opf="AAL" real="true" hours="5,6" />
        </aircraft>

be able to park an RPA for AAL livery at that gate and it will not park other regional carriers there...

=====================

It is not a major overhaul, but it  takes more memory and it slows down processing (although not noticeable by you).

So the question is how many users would like to see this? Note also that this is merely a North American problem... 

An advantage would be that I can remove the -undocumented- solution made for DLH7A, and that we are independent of (wrong?) AFCAD info😉

I for one would love this solution. Another advantage is that changes to the AI files wont just get overwritten when we run updates using the AIG OIC tool.

Thanks for considering this! I know its a very localized problem but I tried everything I could given what we had available to solve this personally but I couldn't resolve this one issue.

Chris

Chris Lezama

2 hours ago, truthknown said:

I for one would love this solution.

Working on it...

2 hours ago, truthknown said:

Another advantage is that changes to the AI files wont just get overwritten when we run updates using the AIG OIC tool.

That I don't understand....

No tool should  ever overwrite your [fltsim.] sections, otherwise  you have to start all over again  ...

I am now working on a solution that does not need you to change the title at all...

17 hours ago, kiek said:

I am now working on a solution that does not need you to change the title at all...

Ooh Ooh, yeah baby!

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

On 11/3/2021 at 11:47 PM, somiller said:

Ooh Ooh, yeah baby!

It is coming soon...

Thank you!

Another request if you are making changes to parameters in the livery file. 

From the manual:

Special case
If you add the word special (all lowercase) to a livery title and add a single registration code to the atc_id key, that livery will only be matched upon registration code. Thus it will only show as live aircraft and not (multiple) times as static parked aircraft.

Can we make this a parameter in the livery file as well? I would prefer a solution that did not require modification of the aircraft.cfg titles. This way the changes are contained to PSXT files.

Also:

10.5.4 registration code added to title
LIG will add the registration code of the livery, defined with atc_id=regcode, to the title of the livery (if not already present).

Can we have a parameter created in parameters.xml that prevents that from happening. Again, do not want to have the aircraft title in the aircraft.cfg modified. I'm all good with the other automatic repairs as it doesn't modify the titles. And the registration code can just be placed in the livery file parameter.

Reason I am asking is that the AIG One-Click Installer tool manages all of the AIG Aircraft files and when the aircraft.cfg livery titles are modified, it sometimes confuses the OCI tool. The tool then reports that various liveries are not installed when they are, or if you run a verify setup, it then re-adds the liveries which titles didn't exactly match what the tool installed, the latter causing duplication of livery titles when the livery generator goes in and finds those liveries and adds the registration code to the title again. That was a real PIA to clean up when it happened to me (in generates pop errors in P3D that all have to be cleared before the sim will start...)

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Lezama

Will change that too.

I am not using OCI so I was not aware of that.

Edited by kiek

5 hours ago, kiek said:

Will change that too.

I am not using OCI so I was not aware of that.

Thanks so much! You are the best!

Chris Lezama