Sign in to follow this  
SimForLife

Windows 11

Has anyone tried to download the new Windows 11 and if you seen or had any issues with the various P3DV5, FSLabs, and add-ons - I'm waiting until December 2021 while I'm on Christmas Vacation to decide on whether I want to download and upgrade to the new windows 11. I have a 2-year old high end PC and currently I have everything running smoothly with no issues after many months of tweaking, I hate to loose my current setup.

Regards,

SimForLife

CPU: iNTEL I7-7820X (3.60 Ghz) | Motherboard: Asus TUF X299 Mark 2 | RAM: Adata XPG-Z1 - DDR4-3000 Mhz - (32Gb) | GPU: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming X- GDDR6 - 8Gb | SSDs: (1) Samsung 960 EVO-NVME.M.2 (500Gb - C:/ Drive Boot & WIN 10); (1) Samsung 850 Pro SSD (520Gb - E:/ Drive For Exclusive use of P3D v4.2); (1) Cosair Force GT SSD (120Gb - F:/ Drive For storing Add-Ons that don't have to be downloaded onto either E: or C Drives) | MONITORS: (1) Vizio 43" E-Series 4K-UHD Display | OS: Windows 10 - Home - 64-Bit | FLIGHT SIMS: Prepar 3D v4.4 | FSLabs Products Owned: A320-X & A319-x| WX: Active Sky P3Dv4 | Other Addons: Orbx Libraries, Vectors, Trees & Lights; RAASPRO; FSUIPC-5; 12bPilot-SODE; FSDreamTream GSX; Ultimate Traffic Live; Navigraph; REX Sky Force 3D; REX Soft Clouds, SimBriefs, ChasePlane, CH-Products (Yoke & rudders), Numerous Airport Sceneries from Aerosoft, Drzewiecki, MKStudios, Fly Tampa, Imaginesim, LatinVFR, Orbx, FSDreamTeam, Technobrain, FlightBeam Studios

Who got the simconnect problem with EZdok Camera 3 after upgrading to Win 11 - a solution appeared.

https://www.simforums.com/forums/ezca-3-1-for-p3d-v5-here-beta_topic63649_post415002.html#415002

Nick Bebyakin   / Handmade cameraset - Ezdok v2  and Ezdok v3
EZdok Software. Support remains on the     http://www.ezdok-camera.com/

i5-9500F@4.4GHz / 20Gb / RTX 2060-OC-6Gb / Win10x64 / MSFS2020

Just completed a week of Win 11

Xplane 11,P3Dv5 and MSFS seem to work OK -so far!
xxd09

Been using it for a month or more.  No issues at all, and I have pretty much most of the big add ons.

System: P3D v5.3HF2 , Intel i9-9900K o/c to 5.1Ghz, Nvidia ASUSGeForce RTX RTX 3090 24GB,  MPG Z390 Gamng Edge mobo, 64Gb G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit

Also been using 11 for about a month.  Absolutely running extremely well.  I was expecting some weird happenings, but so far (fingers crossed) all is well ESPECIALLY with my P3d v5.2 and MSFS.  Those were my main concerns.

Stan

Better run the check to see if Win 11 will work on your computer first.  Looks like MS is getting into the retail sales of computers by their actions.

Hi,

I accepted the upgrade offer to Win11 yesterday.  No immediate problems, all seemed very smooth, loaded up P3D5.2, all good, enabled VR (Vive Pro2 - Vive Console - SteamVR).  P3D immediately crashed out.  I tried again several times with the same result, and mixed in with those was a single DXGI error which I've never seen before.

After some research revealed numerous similar experiences, I rolled back to Win10, and VR returned to normal.

Regards, Jim

• Upvote 1

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

I had installed Windows 11 but after a few flights I started the problems with the disappearance of the icons on the toolbar with crashes while I was using P3D.

After the release of the latest Windows 11 update (KB5006746) I reinstalled it and it looked all O.K but a check made after installation with FSC / SCANNOW I received  notification that there were damaged and unrecoverable files.

After running the DISM restore procedure, FSC / SCANNOW reported "no integrity violations found".

I have made about ten flights and so far I have not encountered any problems.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SimForLife said:

to decide on whether I want to download and upgrade to the new windows 11

I guess the question is:  Why do you want to upgrade to Windows 11?  What is your compelling reason?

Hi Greggy_D,

This is the same problem that occurred with moving from previous editions of Windows.

IMHO, Microsoft ... for better or worse it will devote itself to developing W11 leaving W10  and it will be up to us to decide whether to switch immediately to W11 or wait before installing it.

The improvements of W11 compared to W10, are "subjective" and may like it or not but only by installing W11 you can realize the real differences with W10 and in the case not
were to your liking, with a simple click you can return to W10.

I ran Windows 11 for a little over a week, when the RTM iso dropped. Performance wise, it was exactly the same as Windows 10, both for various simulators but also the desktop experience.

But it certainly has some questionable UI decisions that felt like a step back from Windows 10.

Start menu feels like the biggest step back, with no real options of organizing and resizing like the W10 allows. Plus, they added a big 'recommended' box that makes no sense to me, just recommending me random files from my computer I don't need and takes up half the start menu. When you turn it off, it's still there taking up the same amount of space, with a notice of how you enable it again... ?

I'm a big fan of having taskbar overflow enabled, i.e all the stuff in the right hand corner is always visible. In Windows 11, you can't just enable this for everything, you have to do this PER APPLICATION. And when you install something new, you have to enable it every time... ?!

They made file association even more cumbersome, having to set it up PER FILE FORMAT? Instead of just selecting VLC for all video files. We obviously know this is to make users go "word not allowed, I'll just use Microsoft's applications then!"

They removed the clock from the second monitor, for some reason. So when I'm doing something in a fullscreen application, I can't quickly glance over and look at the time any more.

Ran into a bug, something I even tried fixing by opting into the insider program to get the very latest W11 update, where all the taskbar programs on the second monitor had no icons. So it was a guessing game of what I was clicking. And given that it isn't even fixed in an update still in development, I'd have to deal with that for months. The bug was reported and acknowledged back in JUNE by other people and still wasn't fixed.

And overall it was meant to be a big UI push towards a more consistent, modern UI but it STILL has all the old menus hiding underneath that you sometime need to visit to tweak certain things.

So overall, it's just Windows 10, with a rounded corners UI and slightly more annoying in terms of setting it up how you like it. I'll check back in 6 months to see if they fixed some of those issues. Don't bother upgrading if you expect any sort of improved experience in any regard.

I'm back to Windows 10 and I'm happy.

• Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

5 hours ago, Sethos said:

So overall, it's just Windows 10, with a rounded corners UI and slightly more annoying in terms of setting it up how you like it. I'll check back in 6 months to see if they fixed some of those issues. Don't bother upgrading if you expect any sort of improved experience in any regard.

Yep.

TechSpot Windows 10 vs Windows 11 Performance Test

The TechSpot reviewer has a strong rep and clearly knows what he's doing in testing hardware and software.  Perhaps in time 11 will preform better than 10, but not now.

• Upvote 1

Jay2cents has quite a good video on win11 and wether to upgrade or not.

His conclusion was if your running an Amd ryzen proccessor don't bother upgrading.

Apparently Amd users have been getting a reduction in performance of 10% + 

Looks like intel have been adding to microsofts bank accounts!!

Pete Little