Sign in to follow this  
Agrajag

Graphic Jaggies on Shadows?

Just upgraded to an EVGA 3080 Ultra (hurray, more vram to put towards terrain distance) and wondered if I now have the option of fixing something that has long since plagued me immersion factor. When the sun casts shadows in the cockpit they're often very jagged (which I assume is just the jaggies of the reflected item now blown up to show the jaggies). Is there a graphic setting to reduce/eliminate this and is it worth it?

• Like 2

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

@Agrajag  Yes - it used to bug me as well!  :biggrin:

So, find your UserCfg.opt by searching for it if you don't know where it is.  

Make a backup copy.

In the original, find this section a few lines down and change the highlighted value to the same as mine (size 8192).  Your 3080 should chew through this setting easily, but if you have problems (stuttering or reduced frame rate), turn it down to 4096. 

Either setting works just great, but obviously the higher one is better.  Even my old 1080Ti handled the 4096 setting quite well.

{Shadows
        MaxSliceCount 4

Size 8192
        DLightContributionCullingThresholdS0 0.100000
        DLightContributionCullingThresholdS1 0.100000
        DLightContributionCullingThresholdS2 0.100000
        DLightContributionCullingThresholdS3 0.100000
        OmniContributionCullingThreshold 0.030000
    }

NOTE:  While this does improve the vast majority of the shadows, sometimes you do get the odd one in a specific aircraft that doesn't improve fully, I am not sure why.  In any case, this is well worth doing. 
Please report back ion your thoughts if it improves things for you.

If you use VR, make sure to adjust it in the duplicated VR settings as well further down in the file, although you may have to be more conservative with the figure in VR due to current performance.
That section starts under '{GraphicsVR'.

Make sure you are in the right section when making changes.  Some people jump down to VR by mistake and then they don't see the changes in normal screen screen mode.

Also, while you are in the user config, I change these two settings also under post processing (you could consider it or try it - easy to put back to '1' if you don't like it). 
The first change gets rid of the over-sharpening (and some shimmering) if you are running at high resolutions (4k etc.).  But you may still need it if you run at lower resolutions or lower scaling (70% etc).
The other one gets rid of the horrible colour banding in the hangar.

Sharpen 0
Fringe 0

NOTE:  Be careful not to disturb the formatting of the file or accidentally delete a curly bracket while you are in there, or MSFS will then spit out the file.  That is why - always take a back up first!  :smile:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Thanks! That's a nice two-for-one. I hated the fringe issue and fixed it earlier, but forgot how. Shadows look great now.

• Like 1

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.