Sign in to follow this  
Taildragger

SP1 to take advantage of multiple core CPUs?

Guest jwflowers

I was just reading this blog.http://blogs.technet.com/torgo3000/and I might be reading this wrong, but he seems to be implying that SP1 provides additional offloading of main functions to a second or third core.What do you guys think?JohnEdit: Someone beat me to the punch!!!

Guest jshyluk

SP1 will do what SP1 does. I don't think we should waste too much energy speculating, although it can be fun. I don't quite read the blog the same way that you do. I think that he would like to have multiple cores involved with FSX render chores, certainly more than they are now. I would say that's a good guess as to what the SP1 might be capable of, but we won't know until after the release. There's just too much variability for most folks to be certain. Once again, that's my personal opinion, and it may or may not be similar in any way shape of form to the official opinion of Avsim, if any.Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer

It certainly seems he is implying that multiple cores are taken advantage of. Should be an interesting May, keeping my fingers crossed.Ian.

>It certainly seems he is implying that multiple cores are>taken advantage of. Should be an interesting May, keeping my>fingers crossed.>>Ian.I agree with you. He clearly says SP1 will take advantage of both processors. Let's wait and see.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

The MOST important part of that post is... > Let's wait and see.I'm ALL FOR the improvements being speculated by various folks, but do yourself a favor and don't believe the hype! That way you can be pleasantly surprised if SP1 is *that good*, rather than bitterly disappointed if you set your expectations too high.

Guest nels

Phil has been great recently in giving information and removing the 'Microsoft hush' that leads to speculation. There's obviously not a marketing policy on writing blog posts as TORGOs has surely created a stir.I sure hope SP1 delivers, otherwise we may see lots of 'you said it used dual core' post filling the forum and all Phils work will be undone with more trust lost.Nels

Thought i've seen one of Phil's posts saying that SP1 was NOT going to fix the multicore issue, but now i'm not sure if i did...

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest babua

I am confused really. One time all the pundits say that programming for multi core is #### difficult, tricky and takes lot of time yet again in about 2 months they convert a program entirely written for single core to take advantage of multi core? What happens to those deadly shared memory and lock issues?

You did. But, as always, hope springs eternal. I still think folks are reading too much into these posts/blogs. Only time will tell...but I'm guessing that those who expect some sort of miracle cure from SP1 are going to be sorely disappointed.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>I am confused really. One time all the pundits say that>programming for multi core is #### difficult, tricky and takes>lot of time yet again in about 2 months they convert a program>entirely written for single core to take advantage of multi>core? What happens to those deadly shared memory and lock>issues?You seem to be thinking of this in black and white (not multi-core / fully multi-core).There has been work toward SP1 to take SOME advantage of multi-core. This was very difficult work, and the code that received this treatment had to be chosen very carefully. The result of that effort is in beta testing.-Doug@ACES

Thank you very much, Doug! That clarifies quite a bit, and splashes some needed water on the rumor mill. Thank you for your difficult and painstaking work to unravel this the FPS challenge. Whatever partial advantage is gained by a another core will be MUCH appreciated! Have a nice Easter out there! Steve, in Indiana

Thanks for clarifying this, Doug. Now the post in Torgo's blog makes much more sense. I'm looking forward for the SP1 public release.Best regards.

Alvega

The latest comment at Torgo3000 is much more specific."SP1 will support multiple cores for terrain loading and terrain rendering as well as autogen batch rebuilding."John