Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

Love FSX, but we need some more addons. Payware A/C or ...

Guest KaelO

Hey all,I love FSX. I think its got so much potential and the out of the box graphics are fantastic. What holds me back is two things.1) Additional A/C. I'm looking for something in the order of the LVLD and PMDG. I've given up waiting for an updade/new edition from these developers any time soon given FSX as now been out 6 months. Was wondering if anybody can suggest any addons (payware or free) that may be on the same calibre that work with FSX?2) An airport editor like AFCAD. Using FSX standard airports is OK as at least this time MS included a large amount of gates, but having A/C park in completly unrealistic and random places is a little weird. Is there any word on an editor with a GUI similar to AFCAD. I know of the Scenery Desigh Engine being discussed over at FSDEveloper, but a GUI for that particular project seems some way off. Any ideas anybody??Thanks everybody,Kael

Guest allcott

I'm sure lots of developers would like to simly port over their FS9 products but they have been forced to be more realistic as it has become apparent the changes are greater than the similarities.And maybe you weren't around when FS9 was released but it took nearly a year for the hihg-quality products to start appearing, and another one before the really sophisiticated stuff hit the streets.This time around the SP1 is undoubtedly causing all developers to sit back and wait, many are still waiting for Vista to sort itself out (remember, developers are no longer developing for one or two Ooperating Systems, they MUST consider the 15 or more versions of Vista).I think you need to be more realistic, and considerably more patient. As we can see six months isn't even enough time for Microsoft to get the bugs out the new game, so expecting aftermarket products of that level of sophistication is a bit naive.Carry on waiting, I'm sure they'll come.Allcott

The only Vista edition that's really different from a gaming perspective is Home Basic because it lacks the Aero GUI features - the rest are pretty much identical.I count 4 versions, not 15 by the way. :) Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate. (I seriously doubt we need to worry about anyone running FS on Enterprise)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

>Any ideas anybody??>>Thanks everybody,>>Kael>My suggestion is start learning. We can never have too many people bringing fresh ideas and new talent to the table.

Both the ATR and LVD 767 are in beta at the moment, so I don't imagine it will be a whole lot longer till they are released. 1 - 2 months maybe, maybe less, maybe more?Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

>This time around the SP1 is undoubtedly causing all developers>to sit back and wait, many are still waiting for Vista to sort>itself out Guess you are absolutely right here.

Guest allcott

>The only Vista edition that's really different from a gaming>perspective is Home Basic because it lacks the Aero GUI>features - the rest are pretty much identical.>>I count 4 versions, not 15 by the way. :) Home Basic, Home>Premium, Business, Ultimate. (I seriously doubt we need to>worry about anyone running FS on Enterprise)32-bit and 64-bit are entirely deifferent OS, certainly as far as drivers are concerned.So that makes 8... and I disagree with the assertison that there is no difference from a gamer perspective. But it's a moot point whether it's 8, 18 or 158, there are many, many more than there were before!Allcott

>I'm sure lots of developers would like to simly port over>their FS9 products but they have been forced to be more>realistic as it has become apparent the changes are greater>than the similarities.Alcott, speaking as someone with a bit of experience in 3d modeling and gauge programming, I have to agree with your assesment......in addition, I'll add this pithy, yet cogent comment:"It's tough to create content for a moving target..." :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest LSflyguy

Exactly correct. A lot of add-on developers are currently testing their new releases with SP1 to ensure compatibility. Once SP1 hits the streets you will see a flood of new aircraft and scenery hit the market, probably in no more than 2-4 weeks. I know the Level-D 767 for FSX has been in beta testing for a while, and it should be among the first of the "serious" add-ons to come out. Take a look at UK2000's "Gatwick Xtreme" screenshots to see how fantastic the new airports will look. (They're in the UK2000 forums.) The next couple of months are looking VERY promising for FSX lovers.

>>>Any ideas anybody??>>>>Thanks everybody,>>>>Kael>>>>>My suggestion is start learning. We can never have too many>people bringing fresh ideas and new talent to the table.And you are really new :-lol curious what we will see from you ;-)Andr

André

Does anyone think this could be due to a lack of interest? Go in to the POSKY forums and mention FSX, you get the response that you should switch back to FS9. They haven't even tried to get their aircraft to work in FSX - the concept doesn't even seem to be on the radar.One person asked about their 737ng panel and whether it worked in FSX. The moderator said yes, then said he heard it worked from someone. As it turns out, it doesn't and no one there has a clue how to get it working. I would hardly call this "waiting to see" - it sounds more like gave up and moved on.The point is I don't think a lot of people care about developing for FSX, they heard it was a waste of time and that is it. If freeware developers are ignoring FSX, do you think payware developers are going to put their blood and treasure in to add on's for a sim that they believe no one is buying? I doubt it.Oh, and by the way, many of the FS2002 products worked in FS9 so we didn't really have to wait that long. For scenery, we just needed AFCADS. The first FS2004 AFCADS were released in 10/03 - hardly 6 months after the release of FS9. Sure, Lee is not going to update AFCAD but one would think that a payware developer would tackle it if they thought there was a market for it. Having to update products has never scarfed off developers like CaptainSim that release half-done products all the time just to make a buck.FSX is the only sim on my system but I really think the community this it is a dud.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Guest Len

If SP1 delivers they will come.

Guest KaelO

Thanks for the comments guys.Lets hope SP1 opens the gates. I'd be happy with a LVLD 767 update and a program to edit AFCADS. In fact the ability to edit the airports would just suit me fine.Does anybody know of any other development other than SDE over at FSDeveloper?Cheers,Kael

Can you imagine a great Saab 340 in FSX. This is one of my favorite airplanes, and I'd love to see a superb visual rendering, extremely fluid and realistic VC, and accurate flight dynamics for this great commuter aircraft.Hopefully SP1 will give rise to many new AC and other addons that will truly make FSX unbelievable! There's much to look forward to.

>Oh, and by the way, many of the FS2002 products worked in FS9>so we didn't really have to wait that long. For scenery, we>just needed AFCADS. The first FS2004 AFCADS were released in>10/03 - hardly 6 months after the release of FS9. Sure, Lee is>not going to update AFCAD but one would think that a payware>developer would tackle it if they thought there was a market>for it. Jeff, just for the sake of accuracy, it took Lee many hard months to develop AFCAD for FS2002. When FS2004 was released, Lee only had to make some "minor" changes to his program to allow it to work, and added a few new features at the same time. Even so, it still had (has) some flaws.FSX however is much more of a challenge, since the entire schema and structure has changed, as has the BGL format itself! Hence, it is taking quite a bit of time to develop the tools needed to create the final tool; moreso in fact given that the "new coders" are having to start from scratch, since Lee has abandoned simming entirely and hasn't shared his source code as far as I know.There are quite a few enterprising folks working collaboratively on the problem (see http://fsdevelopers.com), but it will still probably take until the end of the current year before any semi-polished form of a graphical tool that's at least "AFCAD-like" to appear. ;)As far as the modeling and gauge programming for FSX, as I said before, the SDK's are a "constantly moving target!" There's little point in spending several hundred hours on a model, only to find that with the changes coming from the SDK SP1a that that the work done is now no longer viable...At the moment, I've got five FSX projects in a "holding pattern" until the (hopefully) final revisions are made in the SDK... :-roll

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator