Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

How did I do it?

Soon after I installed FSX many Months ago, I imported, installed, or copied a number of FS9 aircraft over to FSX. Many work fine as far as I am concerned (i.e. Flight one C177/C177RG, Carenado V35b, PMDG Express B1900D, Twin Bonanza, etc.). Included were the early version FSD Cheyenne 400, FSD Piper Navajo Panther, and FSD Porter on wheels and on floats. I had some trouble with something on the Porter, the best I remember possibly with the autopilot but everything else worked well.I have since upgraded my system for FSX service and begun to reinstall everything. For the life of me I cannot remember how I successfully imported these three aircraft. I think I installed them, but when I try now I only have the FS2002 and FS2004 options. I picked FS2004 (checkmark) but after I click Install it immediately starts the installation in FS9 without giving me any option to edit the path. I then tried to simply copy them which works fine, but it will not accept the panel.cfg. By simple luck, I still had the panel.cfg up in word when I first selected the bird. She came up fine in spot plane view, but of course with the panel.cfg activated in word, I had no panel. When I closed word and tried again, I get an error message which is partially in a language I do not speak, and have to shut fSX down in order to get out of it. I have tried with both the Cheyenne and Navajo. Same results.Anybody have a clue as to how I originally moved or installed these aircraft successfully. (I will claim a senior moment!)Respectfully:RTH

This old memory finally kicked in (I think). At any rate the following works:The good news is that I have found the solution. A little simple logic was needed and I assume this is what I did originally.The problem was that if one simply copies or moves an FSD aircraft from FS9 to FSX, when the aircraft is selected an error window opens saying "FSX, Could not initalize application. Error 15 (IPM) Please contact technical support"When I click ok I get another window: "Runtime error, Tristana Exception Occured."From that time on, I can click ok and it just cycles back and forth endlessly between these two error windows. My assumption is that this is a license security measure from FSD to be sure one has purchased the aircraft. The only thing to do is bring up task mgr. and end the program.The solution for Generation 1 FSD aircraft for FSX (assuming one had them in FS9) is to install them in FSX exactly as one did for FS9. The catch is that in the installation programs there is no way to set a path to FSX. The solution is as follows:1. If you have FS9 installed, rename the root folder to anything else to protect it. In my case, I simply edited it to "Flight Simulator On Hold 9".2. Rename "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" to "Flight Simulator 9".3. Install the selected FSD aircraft with the FS-2004 option. It will think it is installing to FS9, but will put the aircraft in the Aircraft folder of FSX.4. Move both the aircraft and the FSD License Info.text to your Airplanes folder, (or the Aircraft FS9 folder if you followed Chuck's preference. I personally see little advantage to this, but also have it on my system). You may not need to include the FSD License Info.text folder, but I did it for good measure. Whatever works huh!5. Edit your aircraft.cfg folder to include the line items so that you can see them in your FSX aircraft selections. For the Navajo for example, mine read: ui_typerole="Twin Engine Prop" and ui_createdby="FSD International". This needs to be added to all liveries and of course is required for all imported aircraft from fS9.6. Back to your root folders, Edit "Flight Simulator 9" back to "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" and "Flight Simulator On Hold 9" (or whatever you named it) back to "Flight Simulator 9".6. Add your thumbnails. I highly recommend autothumbnail2.zip for this. Easy as pie.7. Crank up FSX and enjoy the aircraft. They work for me!One note. When you are editing your root folders, you may get a window that tells you that it is a readme file or in use and that you cannot edit it. If so, simply restart your computer and then editing should be permitted.Good luck and happy flying:RTH

One adder to this scenario:As I said in my original post, I thought there was some problem with the Porter, possibly the autopilot. I believe I was mistaken and found the problem.The panel will not display correctly unless you Rem ("//") "gauge01=FSDPorter!pc6vars" in the "MAIN_PANEL" Window00 and the "IFR_MAIN_Panel" window 01. If this gauge is inabled, FSX will shut down when you change from spot view to the panel view. I have no idea what it displays. I first thought it was the lower first and third panel gauges, but they were also empty after a fresh install in FS9. I have customized my panels anyway and have an RMS in the left, and RKG Speed and Fuel Stat gauges in the third location. Some of the gauges do not work either (torgue and Prop RPM for example, but I may have replaced them with defaults in my original installation). I will experiment with this later. If someone else beats me to a fix for this, please so reply. It flies well if you can ignore this until we find the solution. There was no such problem with the Navajo or Cheyenne. Everything else seems to work well. A little more parking brake would be nice but this may be true in FS9 as well, I have not checked yet.Hope this is of use to somebody else. I personally like these birds.Respectfully:RTH

The gauges that did not work were the ITT, Oil Press/Temp, RPM, and Fuel Qty for two tanks/Fuel Flow gauges (4 each in the Porter Panel only.)The DEFAULT FS9 Cessna C208 panel gauges are IMHO good replacements for these if you can stand a mixture of black and white mounting screws (Cheap A&E mech.) The only odd one is the fuel gauge. The Cessna uses three separate gauges while the Porter has a three way single gauge. I personally opted to just replace it with the fuel flow gauge as I implement the C4Gauge and/or RKG FuelStat gauge in all of my panels which indicates fuel qty. anyway.You need to install these in three places, Main, IFR, and Virtual sections of the panel.cfg.One odd thing that I don't quite understand that some more knowledgeable soul might educate me about, is that to my surprise the FSX default gauges would not work. The gauge holds were blank. Seems to work fine with the FS9 defaults NOT the ones from FSX.I would appreciate knowing if this is of any use to anybody. I think these are three dandy birds and missed them in FSX.Happy flying:RTH

For the Porter, replacing the default radios with the Bendix_King Radio Stack is my recommendation for autopilot implmentation. I personally chose to just add another window to include them, but they could be installed on the panel. Unfortunately, Panel Studio does not work well for panel revision in this bird so that would take a bit of trial and error for proper location. The HSI also needs to be replaced. I chose the one from the Corenado V35, but there are a number of choices. Works like a charm. The only thing I notice is that one needs to come in a bit hot with not too much flaps until the glideslope is captured or the aircraft tends to pitch up severely enough that you may loose it. If you maintain speed until the capture and then tenderly apply flaps and slow down, she does a lot better.The only glitch remaining that I know about is the annunciator panel (and I don't have a clue as to how to fix it). All kinds of alarms are lit up in error, even the battery switch, but with it off, you will loose all displays. With it on, everything works so it is the annunciator, not the items that are showing alarms. If you can ignore this and accept the other recommendations I have listed in my previous parts to this thread, she flies like a dream IMHO.Best of luck and happy flying.RTH

Thanks for being amnesic!! :--))very helpful topic!best regards,David

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.