Sign in to follow this  
Bilbosmeggins

Update… 85gb!

5 hours ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

Haven’t run MSFS a couple of months, so knew I would have some updating to do, but it’s telling me a compulsory 85gb! Surely to Christ that cannot be right? It sounds more like a complete install from scratch. Is it just me, or is there a way around this? I’ll be less than happy if I have to install the full monty again, as with my download speed, that represents a good 24 hours. Jeez, it doesn’t pay to turn your back on this title for more than 5 minutes does it?

The may help ..or not...

Is MSFS installed in the default location e.g. C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Packages......?

In my case it isn't and with last week's update I also faced the prospect of a large download.  I noticed the download was pointing to the default installation location while my program is on a separate drive, G:/MSFS2020.  I changed the pathway to the correct location and the update became approximately a 1gig download instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wnuk said:

As a point of curiosity, did those who had such a large update purchase through the MS store or Steam?

Mine was via Steam.

3 hours ago, Wnuk said:

There is no way an update should be as large as the initial install of the entire program. This was just a service update, not a world update with all new scenery. 

As a point of curiosity, did those who had such a large update purchase through the MS store or Steam? Mine was through the MS store. 

Mine is a Store purchase. My 85gb update message last week was triggered after a Windows Update. I uninstalled MSFS entirely and reinstalled it on my D drive where it originally was. I don't want bits of it scattered over different drives.

6 hours ago, b1bmsgt said:

I have the Steam version. When there is an update, you start the sim like you normally do, a box pops up, you click it, and it updates. Period.

I also have a steam version, but I always have to install updates before coming into the game, And right now I am installing this 85gig. 

Whats your install path? Mine is ...Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages

7 hours ago, robert young said:

I really think it is time Asobo stopped doing this and had some empathy with those who are taking many hours and sometimes days to download each sim update.

I don't remember having to redownload the entire sim when any update came through to me. So hopefully it doesn't happen in the future.

I don't see that it's Asobo doing anything; it isn't a universal issue, and MS Store and Steam handle pushing it to your PC from their own servers, using their own protocols, e.g. MS Store insists on installing part of it to the main drive, it seems, and sticks its own new folders on there (which I still can't delete to this day, since cancelling my pre-order and switching to Steam), while Steam seems to me to give the user more flexibility and less hassle generally.

Re slow server-side speeds mentioned, not an Asobo issue. Again, Steam and MS Store host the build on their servers to distribute to you.

Personally, with the way it works in terms of you download an update then have to go into the marketplace and downloaded more updates, I think that's the sensible approach. The download you get at start-up is mandatory, and updates the main simulator, to ensure all users are in line with each other and the sim is compatible with the latest streaming data during flight. The marketplace updates are optional. You might not want to bother installing the world updates, especially if you never plan on flying in those areas. Other updates in the marketplace are for add-ons, and you might not want to update them -- you might even decide to uninstall them, so wouldn't want to waste time having to install what are optional updates at start-up with no choice in the matter. I think there would be more complaints if it forced that on people, and you would certainly have an even larger update to handle, and a longer wait to start flying.

Edited by March Hare
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

is the start screen pointing to the same folder you installed it to before?

Because I made the mistake of not checking the installation directory and had MSFS install into a completely new folder, which, I then had to rectify because it couldn't see any of my add-ons. I think the actual size is about 10gig.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Also having to download 85 GB.

MS Store version, always using the default location.

I can also confirm that indeed the files at the default location get updated.

It's just an inefficient update process. If a small bug in a plane is fixed, it should not download the complete plane package, but just the changed file (or even just the delta). Same for the bigger base packages, of course.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

My MSFS came from the Microsoft Store. I have given up using it for now as the "MANDATORY UPDATE" chews TIME which I don't have. My new PC is a power hog when in MSFS. 450 Watts for 24 hours is steep.

The download speeds seem to have got worse ? I'm back to FSX for now with my C130 and Air Hauler 2 setup. P3D is being considered.

16 hours ago, YMMB said:

In my case it isn't

In my case it isn't either but still wants to download 85 GB..

On screen my install path shows away from the default drive..

Seems a bit of a mess...

Dave

6 hours ago, dozybee said:

My MSFS came from the Microsoft Store. I have given up using it for now as the "MANDATORY UPDATE" chews TIME which I don't have. My new PC is a power hog when in MSFS. 450 Watts for 24 hours is steep.

The download speeds seem to have got worse ? I'm back to FSX for now with my C130 and Air Hauler 2 setup. P3D is being considered.

I haven't even attempted to install MSFS yet just because of the horror stories that I have heard, similar to this discussion.  I'm thinking about a new machine but MSFS has to improve its logistics before I install it. 

• Like 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

This topic reminds me why I've all but given up on MSFS, Asobo's inability to write a proper update process. I switched to DCS and haven't really looked back - twice since August I've had a few hundred mb to download, maybe a GB or so, and then I carry straight on. No MS Store problems, no gotcha when you open the game to be faced with another 30 or 40 GB of downloads, no hidden content manager updates. One simple and clear process and then you can get on with gaming.

• Upvote 3

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.

These update sizes are downright painful, especially for people with lower bandwidth. But it's not just MSFS; it's getting popular for all kinds of games. I don't have MSFS yet, but I have plenty of other games that regularly get mandatory updates. It's frustrating to say the least when you want to fire up a game and play for a bit, only to be greeted with a 20 GB update. There go your plans of playing for the day - or even days, depending on the size. I once had to re-download almost the entire game to install an update of 100+ GB. That was frankly outrageous and took a few nights to download.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

So it seems this was the case with both Steam and MS store, leading me to believe it was something to do with Asobo and how they update files. I’m not versed enough to offer a better solution but I can say unless you have a high speed connection this process certainly takes away from my enjoyment of the product.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmdriskell said:

I haven't even attempted to install MSFS yet just because of the horror stories that I have heard, similar to this discussion.  I'm thinking about a new machine but MSFS has to improve its logistics before I install it. 

You probably have as much chance of installing MSFS and running into a horror story , as  you have getting hit by lightning. It is only a very small minority of people that seem to run into install issues. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS