Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Early look at Alder Lake performance in MSFS

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

thanks. Amazon has the 5900x at $524  (Amazon USA). Apparently, I'm guessing, they sell so fast that normally if you order, its a 5 day or so preorder, in other words a 5 day wait or so before they ship.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-5900X-24-Thread-Processor/dp/B08164VTWH/

I expect a price drop so don't buy anything yet !!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

1 minute ago, bobcat999 said:

I'm really happy with my 3080Ti, but I think my 8086K (basically an 8800) is lagging behind a bit now, as even a 11900k is nearly 40% better on single thread performance. 

Also, one of my USB ports seems to have blown on the board.

OK...  I am looking for an excuse to update!  :laugh:

I could keep my 3600 DDR4 at least.

Be careful, you buy a DDR5 or a DDR4 MOBO, they not support both at the same time, one DDR or the other.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Memory speed is probably the last thing you need to consider with a new build.  Today gaming is all about the graphics card (if you can get one)

Cheers

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

49 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I have a 9900k and a 3090 gpu so I'm good then.

Likewise, I am holding off to see if it is worthwhile when a few have tested it. I can pick up a combo deal in the UK of a DDR5 32GB, new mobo and 12900K water-cooled for £1500 which isn't too bad if the need arises. 

take a look at the low 1% FPS, and frame timing with the 12900K. It seems that it eliminates a lot of cpu stutter.....That would be enough for me to upgrade...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

eBay sellers of the 12900K go for about $900-1000.  Of course all other retail outlets are already "Sold out".

I’m not sure why, there are loads in stock and available here in the U.K. 

I am going to fight my impatience and wait until after Xmas and see what it’s like then. 

6 hours ago, Maxis said:

Intel's advantage here is that the platform is brand new. AMD's AM4 platform is having its last hurrah with the 3dvcache.. I would recommend intel at this point if your going in  brand new to be honest.

I wouldn't.
AMD might be on it's AM4 socket swan song with the anticipated Zen 3 (5000 series) refresh expected early next year. However, as we can see in the chart below, DDR5 obviously isn't as mature as DDR4 and will come with both a performance and a price penalty in comparison.

Early adoption of new tech isn't for everyone and there's plenty of performance to be had with current tech.
I might push for a 5900X or 5900XT in the next few months and by the time I consider it's time for another upgrade, DDR5 might be sufficiently widespread and mature to make the leap.

4 hours ago, Seth2021 said:

pZFN6eeJ6pCvkVTZPLqrR-2560-80.png

It's great that Intel have a CPU that people feel excited about again. It creates competition to force a response from AMD and hopefully helps bring down the prices of current and previous generation processors.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Likewise, I am holding off to see if it is worthwhile when a few have tested it. I can pick up a combo deal in the UK of a DDR5 32GB, new mobo and 12900K water-cooled for £1500 which isn't too bad if the need arises. 

Who do you trust in the UK for a full system/combo deal? I’ve only bought from overclockers in the past and their aftersales has been very good so i’m a bit cautious  about going elsewhere.

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

take a look at the low 1% FPS, and frame timing with the 12900K. It seems that it eliminates a lot of cpu stutter.....That would be enough for me to upgrade...

I don't see a big difference really. The graphs begin at 30 and end at 90, so the differences seem larger than they are. 

The 12900K lead over the 5950X is about 4-7 FPS depending on resolution. Frame times, maybe 2-3 millisecond. 

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

6 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm just not understanding how accurate that 1080P bench can be....    there's a miniscule difference between the flagship intel cpu and the 12600K.  I believe at higher resolutions that difference would be greater.  

Maybe it is time to invest in AMD - though I'm not sure how well AMD would work on next gen XP platform either....traditionally AMD wasn't great with XP11.  Seems to be totally fine in MSFS.

Ryan,

I am running XP11 on a 3900x and a gtx1080ti with 32gb 3200RAM and I fly at about 60fps (1080p)  This is, I think fairly extraordinary given the vintage of my hardware. However, it is probably worth noting that I now only fly with VR (Quest2 cable linked to the computer) In reality, screen resolution does not really matter to me when using Flightsims.  Would be nice to upgrade to 4x for movies etc but for flight simming it would just slow my FPS unnecessarily. At least that is what I think.

If I ever upgrade to the new Vrajo Aero I think it might be absolutely necessary to upgrade both CPU and GPU.  For now though, I am a happy camper using both MSFS and XP11.

I understand also that if you are not using VR this is totally irrelevant information to/for you.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

4 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Thanks.  30 fps steady in MSFS at 4K is very very good imo.  Wonder how that would translate to VR.  Feels like we're still a few years off

VR's in good place right now Ryan performance wise. VR Flight Sim Guy (10900K + RTX 3090) can run the new high resolution Varjo Aero pretty smoothly - most VR headsets run really well now in MSFS with only reasonable VR specs machines. I'm guessing probably the Pimax 8K X would be challenge on any system and the Pimax Reality well yeah that will take a beast of a PC!

So tempted to go with the i5 12600K  and new mobo get a cooling adapter for the LGA1700, reuse my 2080 Super and DDR4 my M.2 and SSD and call it a day.   

$520 for a pretty good upgrade

the 12900's were available a good portion of the day at Newegg.  12700 and 12600 are still available.. 

Edited by psolk
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

4 hours ago, F737NG said:

I wouldn't.
AMD might be on it's AM4 socket swan song with the anticipated Zen 3 (5000 series) refresh expected early next year. However, as we can see in the chart below, DDR5 obviously isn't as mature as DDR4 and will come with both a performance and a price penalty in comparison.

Early adoption of new tech isn't for everyone and there's plenty of performance to be had with current tech.
I might push for a 5900X or 5900XT in the next few months and by the time I consider it's time for another upgrade, DDR5 might be sufficiently widespread and mature to make the leap.

It's great that Intel have a CPU that people feel excited about again. It creates competition to force a response from AMD and hopefully helps bring down the prices of current and previous generation processors.

I think you neglected to read the rest of my comments... Nowhere did i say to go pick up a ddr5 400 dollar mainboard or super expensive ddr5. Please read the rest of my comments on the thread regarding what is recommended for a new build.

Thanks

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

3 hours ago, psolk said:

So tempted to go with the i5 12600K  and new mobo get a cooling adapter for the LGA1700, reuse my 2080 Super and DDR4 my M.2 and SSD and call it a day.   

$520 for a pretty good upgrade

the 12900's were available a good portion of the day at Newegg.  12700 and 12600 are still available.. 

That would be a really great system I think. Finally some competition in the CPU space!

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s