Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Early look at Alder Lake performance in MSFS

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Attempts to increase EDC and PTT resulted in lower frequency even with temp headroom and performance numbers were lower.

Ok? That’s really strange. I was just wondering. My 5900x even reaches the 80+ in short boost phases. So I wondered about your max temps. 

Sorry for the multiple post but I somehow cannot edit a post: 

@rob just saw your RAM timings. They are pretty good, very tight. I somehow don’t understand your relatively low Timespy score….

52 minutes ago, MySound said:

Sorry for the multiple post but I somehow cannot edit a post: 

@rob just saw your RAM timings. They are pretty good, very tight. I somehow don’t understand your relatively low Timespy score….

While you are in the moderation que (new member, less than 10 posts) you do not have the ability to edit your posts.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

The CPU score or the GPU score? 

I'm at 16464 CPU

You listed 14700 CPU

Hasse listed 15530 CPU

Maxis listed 14851 CPU (14891-40)

I wouldn't use TimeSpy as a definitive for CPU scores since turning OFF SMT produces a higher score so it doesn't appear to be thread optimized.  Cinebench R23 is probably a more accurate test of single core and multi-core performance as turning OFF SMT with Multi-core Cinebench R23 will be lower score (as I would expect, which is opposite from TimeSpy).

I haven't done any tuning on the GPU side (other than firmware update), all default (it's fan air cooled and not in the liquid chiller loop).

My quick surface scan of various websites for those running 5950X and TimeSpy they seem to have consistently lower scores for the CPU (13500 to 15000 range).  What were your expectations?

Cheers, Rob.

time spy not use all cores , its more GPU Bench.

heres my gpu test from a couple of days ago

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpn0nk7dg8utp09/oc-gpu1.png?dl=0

@rob ok, Running your GPU at Stock explains the 19000 Timespy 🙂

Some tweaking there will give you a much better score. And less wattage in daily usage. 

Can i add something to the debate? Do i stump up the extra for DDR5 or just sell the one kidney for a new DDR4 i9-12900k system? Think i’ll actually go KF

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

5 minutes ago, Spit40 said:

Can i add something to the debate? Do i stump up the extra for DDR5 or just sell the one kidney for a new DDR4 i9-12900k system? Think i’ll actually go KF

I believe at the moment there is little to gain from DDR5, but as faster modules become available that might change. If you go for a motherboard with DDR4 than you will have to replace it if you want to switch in the future.

• Upvote 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

@rob Yep, I also have a EVGA but I converted it to Hybrid because of the Fan noise.

I also run a nice undervolt in Afterburner, which helps reducing the temps even more and you don't loose too much performance. I see you like playing around with your PC, so Afterburner is the next logical step 😄

My next step will be a GPU front/rear water block from EK but they are dragging their feet on one for the FTW3 Ultra.

Just picked up the EVGA hybrid conversion kit yesterday when stock notification came in...but they're out of stock already.

• Like 1

So I was able to get the CPU/motherboard no issues.  The "issue" is cooling. Getting the LGA1700 for my H150 is taking some time then I read some worrying reviews about the LGA1700 conversion kits on some AIO's not making adequate contact.  Decided to go with a new MSI K360 but even that needs an adapter. The reviews of the contact patch on the MSI's looked better than anyone else right now.  

Nothing is shipping with LGA1700 out of the box quite yet.  So I've had everything here for a week but yet to be able to do anything with it. 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

1 hour ago, peloto said:

Be careful, maybe a reason for the high core temperatures, all CPU dissipators are not fully compatible and do not contact well with the CPU:

https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-D15S-5/motherboards/ASUS/LGA 1700?q=z690

https://wccftech.com/various-aio-cpu-coolers-tested-with-intels-alder-lake-lga-1700-cpus-older-models-show-insufficient-thermal-contact/

This is why I went with the new MSI MEG CoreS360.  Should be here Wed.  Designed specifically for LGA1700.  I saw the same thing about lack of adequate contact patch with some of the "kits"  and decided against re-using my H150 after I saw some of the cooler reviews with Alder Lake. 

• Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg