Thought I'd post this incase anyone cares.    I'm running a 48" CX as a desktop monitor,  with a 3090 gpu.

Calibrating monitors and tv's is relatively expensive,   mostly because it requires specialized hardware and software that most people will never buy.     I don't own any calibration equipment.

My "go-to" source for display reviews is Rtings.    They posted a review of the 48" CX specifically as a desktop monitor.   In that review they posted an ICC color calibration file for their 48 CX.

Now, each panel is different and no two are the same.   But I decided to try their profile anyway,   and I'm really happy with the results.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/48-cx-oled   (The ICC profile is halfway down on the right,  under "Post Calibration".   https://www.rtings.com/assets/pages/e64DtyqB/rtings-icc-profile.icm)

In the CX settings remember to,

Rename the CX's HDMI input which you are using to "PC" in the LG Dashboard.

Enable the "Game" HDR picture mode. Rtings calibrated in this mode.   I would reset the picture mode before proceeding.

Enable HDMI Deep Color for your HDMI input.    (picture / additional settings)

Set Dynamic Tone Mapping to HGIG

Set Black Level to HIGH.

In NVIDIA options,

Select "Use Nvidia Color Settings".

Color Depth 32 Bit

Output Color Depth 10bpc

Color Format RGB

Output Dynamic Range Full    (High Black level and Full dynamic range are related settings) 

Then I just typed "Color Management" into the windows start menu search box and set the Rtings profile as default.

In MSFS I set HDR10 to enabled.

Your mileage may vary,  but I like what I'm seeing.    Good luck.

• Like 1

How do you find the FREESYNC / GSYNC play together for you? I am getting a constant "flicker" when on GSYNC. I have the LG 85 NANOCELL OLED 50"

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

I tried this and color does seem better on my 48CX  OLED        Thanks

• Like 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

On 11/4/2021 at 12:51 PM, Alcides Segovia said:

How do you find the FREESYNC / GSYNC play together for you? I am getting a constant "flicker" when on GSYNC. I have the LG 85 NANOCELL OLED 50"

I don't have freesync enabled,  but Gsync is enabled and works well.  Not seeing any flicker.

One consideration though,  there is a difference between Gsync and Gsync Compatible.

The CX is a "Gsync Compatible" display.    It has a Gsync range of 40hz to 120hz @ 4K.

All native Gsync displays have a hardware gsync module, and they can gsync from 1hz to the refresh rate limit of the display.

So basically,  on a CX "Gsync" doesn't work below 40 fps.  Maybe that's a factor.

We just had an LG 77" C1 OLED TV installed in our home on Saturday (yesterday).  Watching football on it today was so unbelievable that I probably will never enjoy it as much on any other TV.  Coupled with a Sonos ARC soundbar and Sonos subwoofer, the sound bounces off every surface in my family room to magically envelop the listener.

I compared OLED to QLED (Samsung) and the blacks in the picture were so superior IMHO on the OLED device.  All I can say is WOW.  I won't be using this TV for flight simulation, but I can only imagine how beautiful the flight can be.  LG's technology is second to none!

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, spilok said:

We just had an LG 77" C1 OLED TV installed in our home on Saturday (yesterday).  Watching football on it today was so unbelievable that I probably will never enjoy it as much on any other TV.  Coupled with a Sonos ARC soundbar and Sonos subwoofer, the sound bounces off every surface in my family room to magically envelop the listener.

I compared OLED to QLED (Samsung) and the blacks in the picture were so superior IMHO on the OLED device.  All I can say is WOW.  I won't be using this TV for flight simulation, but I can only imagine how beautiful the flight can be.  LG's technology is second to none!

Stan

Hi Stan,

My brother has the exact same setup, including the sonos sound bar and subwoofer. I too was over there watching football this weekend. So I can agree 100% it is an amazing experience. When we were done we loaded up MSFS on his new xbox and it looked amazing, very smooth and HDR visuals looked incredible. Looks like I'm going to have to save for a new TV.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

On 11/8/2021 at 11:36 AM, TurboKen said:

Hi Stan,

My brother has the exact same setup, including the sonos sound bar and subwoofer. I too was over there watching football this weekend. So I can agree 100% it is an amazing experience. When we were done we loaded up MSFS on his new xbox and it looked amazing, very smooth and HDR visuals looked incredible. Looks like I'm going to have to save for a new TV.

It's absolutely incredible!  I put my Xbox on another TV for my children and grandchildren.  It keeps them happy and out of the room where I'm watching serious stuff, like football and movies.  That TV is also an LG but doesn't have the Sonos attached to it.  They are perfectly happy and when they are all over for Thanksgiving and Christmas, we adults love the C1 for the good stuff.

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Like 1

You'll probably laugh,  but a part of me wants to fabricate picture frames for a half dozen 48" OLED's and hang them on wall mounts,   so I can have them cycle images of fine art like a private museum gallery.    Sort of like the screensaver does.  

Wake up everyday to different masters.   Degas one day,  Van Gogh the next.    The LG art gallery app already has some interesting paintings in it.  

4 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

You'll probably laugh,  but a part of me wants to fabricate picture frames for a half dozen 48" OLED's and hang them on wall mounts,   so I can have them cycle images of fine art like a private museum gallery.    Sort of like the screensaver does.  

Wake up everyday to different masters.   Degas one day,  Van Gogh the next.    The LG art gallery app already has some interesting paintings in it.  

Not laughing. Great idea.  I love the Gallery paintings in the LG C1.  I would like to know how to freeze the one I like for the day (so it really looks like a painting on the wall), and stop the rotation of images.

Stan

On 11/13/2021 at 6:11 AM, Waldo Pepper said:

I have thought about this for years. 🙂

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

On 12/7/2021 at 9:34 AM, TurboKen said:

I have thought about this for years. 🙂

And you`ll LOVE this

https://vangoghsandiego.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAip-PBhDVARIsAPP2xc27D2e3I_slEFqN7NcXuLaLOMIwJDflwFYbBB92lTq77OnMusyKN7UaAtfrEALw_wcB

Intel x299 I7 7820  OC @ 4.7 Ghz   Win10 pro 64

Gigabyte gaming 9  Nvidia 1080ti  11GB

Thermaltake level 10 Corsair H1100 h2o cooling

64 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz

Ch Rudder,Yoke,&Stick Itra flightboard 2000

Went with Samsung 55in QLED to aviod the OLED burn in issue with LG. Multiple flights with the VC view in a static position will cause burn in. 

Eric 

On 1/24/2022 at 12:59 PM, B777ER said:

Went with Samsung 55in QLED to aviod the OLED burn in issue with LG. Multiple flights with the VC view in a static position will cause burn in. 

As a follow up, I have moved this TV to the bedroom and replaced the old one in there. The blooming on this at night was horrendus. The LD at Standard and High with and without CE was terrible. Numerous others complaining about it on the AVS forum. DO NOT GET THIS TV for flightsim. The TV cannot handle the stars at night. What a disaster. I went out today and bought the LG C1. Still messing with the settings to get it dialed in but running it with a 3090 card so don't expect many issues. I already changed the screen background to a solid black and moved my desktop icons to my standard computer screen 2nd monitor. I bought the BestBuy 5 year burn in warranty so if I get any burn in issues between now and March 2027, I just get a new one for free. 

Eric