Sign in to follow this  
ang58

Amazon Polly Voices in Pilot2ATC

I've been checking these out today and some of them are very good indeed, albeit rather slow for ATC.  So I'm wondering whether other users have had any success in speeding these up within P2A, given that the Speed control in the Voices tab doesn't seem to have any affect on them? Thanks in advance for any advice on how to achieve this.

For anyone who may be interested in these, but hasn't yet tried them, the sign up and installation process is a bit convoluted, but it is worth persevering with.

Edited by ang58

I reckon this must be done via the AWS CLI, but I haven't figured it out just yet. Hopefully it's just a matter of watching a couple tutorial videos on AWS CLI and getting the syntax right.

To work with P2A, you have to install the AWS Amazon Polly for Windows.  This lets Windows see and use the voices as SAPI5 desktop voices.

Dave

Does this require constant Internet connectivity?

Is it free or does it require end user to add their own AWS key so if it goes above the basic usage, AWS can bill the end user?

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

14 minutes ago, Sims Smith said:

Is it free

"For Amazon Polly’s Standard voices, the free tier includes 5 million characters per month for speech or Speech Marks requests, for the first 12 months, starting from your first request for speech."

https://aws.amazon.com/polly/

I installed AWS Polly for Windows and was able to use it with Pilot2ATC without any issue.  The sound quality is much better and natural. This is a much better value than using CereVoice .  Depending on your usage, you may not even have to pay anything. 

kpkcEMU.png

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

@ SimsSmith. I agree these are possibly the most natural sounding voices available. But to me they sound too slow for ATC. So is there a way to increase the speed? The speed control drop-down box in P2A Config doesn't affect them, neither does the 'Voice speed' slider control in Win10 Speech Properties.

Hmmm...I got Amazon polly all set up and can assign voices as Sims did in his post, but they appear to be hit and miss...sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. A restart of P2A sometimes resets them working again. Ideas?

8 minutes ago, actrade said:

Hmmm...I got Amazon polly all set up and can assign voices as Sims did in his post, but they appear to be hit and miss...sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. A restart of P2A sometimes resets them working again. Ideas?

I can't offer any help but if it makes you feel better, you're not alone I have the same issues. For some people they seem to work without problems, for others only intermittently... For now I'm only using one Polly voice for my copilot and this seems to work reliably for me.

Dirk

Has there been any further developments on why the Amazon Poly voices only work intermittently? Mine work only about %25 of the time.

Jeremy

I've set this up as well and I agree it does sound a lot better than the default Microsoft TTS.

I was doing a flight earlier and the Polly voices I had configured just stopped working suddenly.