Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Oops! In an English Electric Lightning!

I was in the RAF at that time yet I never heard about it. To busy chasing skirt I guess.

• Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I always wanted to fly accidentally a Starfighter but unfortunately i never could!

59 minutes ago, Andiroto said:

And what was it, what he didn't liked?

Probably the miniscule wings, requirement for a high speed landing and thus possible death.

As for the Lightning, a brick with two powerful engines bolted on. Incredible machine.

Many years ago, when they were still flying, I was on holiday in Devon. Heard about an air show so me and my ex wife went to check it out. Well in those days flying over the crowd was allowed. The Lighning went nose up over our heads and hit full power. Never heard anything as loud in my life. 

When I was in the RAF, I was stationed at RAF Wattisham in Suffolk. 56 sqdn and 111 sqdn were based there at the time and if we had an afternoon off we'd wander out to watch them take off. It still beggars belief to watch them stand on their tails and disappear skywards. Not to mention the noise!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

My favourite quote about the Lightning was from a pilot who flew it for years.  He was asked if he was ever afraid of it.  He said no, he always felt completely in control, right up the point of releasing the brakes for take-off.  

• Like 1

ngxu_banner.png