Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

Will SP1 require a clean install?

Guest piper773

Will changes made to FSX configuration and Add On products affect SP1? I also wondor what the Beta testers are using? My hunch is that they are working off a clean unchanged version of FSX and not one that has been tweaked.

When I asked, Phil stated it would be best to work from a clean install. I have only made changes to the tree files (treesX) and the config file, but will be installing the SP1 after performing a clean install of the game. To me, its best to be safe and start over no matter what. Danon - -

Guest Challenger604

Does that mean there will be re-activation issues?

>Will changes made to FSX configuration and Add On products>affect SP1? I also wondor what the Beta testers are using? My>hunch is that they are working off a clean unchanged version>of FSX and not one that has been tweaked.This has already been covered. Short answer: If you have not applied tweaks that involved renaming, removing, or editing (non-cfg) files you are probably OK.Do an Advanced Search on "SP1 clean install" and you should quickly find the carcass.-Doug

>Does that mean there will be re-activation issues?Probably.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest piper773

Thanks. Found the thread.

>>Does that mean there will be re-activation issues?>>Probably.>I reinstalled now 4 times on the same PC. No activation problems over here.

I don't think too many people will have problems with reinstalls.We are obviously not as far down the addon road yet as FS9 was - loaded with masses of addons. All I am running is the same few tweaks all of you are running, and the Xclass addons plus Stansted Extreme. No big deal to reinstall really.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

>I don't think too many people will have problems with>reinstalls.>>We are obviously not as far down the addon road yet as FS9 was>- loaded with masses of addons. >>All I am running is the same few tweaks all of you are>running, and the Xclass addons plus Stansted Extreme. No big>deal to reinstall really.>Well I, on the other hand, have dozens of added aircraft,dozens of modified AFCAD2 files and additional scenry areas.All my "aircraft.cfg" files are re-named "sim.cfg", sincethat is the file that FSX searches for first.I can see a day or two of effort, copying out my mods andaddons, going through the re-install process and possiblyfighting the "1722" error as I've had that in the past,then figuting out how to "re-tweak" the whole mess again..."I don't think too many people will have problems with reinstalls."is not the case that I anticipate.... Paul

Wide-5.jpg

>I can see a day or two of effort, copying out my mods and>addons, going through the re-install process and possibly>fighting the "1722" error as I've had that in the past,>then figuting out how to "re-tweak" the whole mess again...>>"I don't think too many people will have problems with>reinstalls.">is not the case that I anticipate....Why am I reminded of "mountains out of molehills" reading these type threads?The only files that will be updated by SP1 are the original, default FSX files.Add on aircraft, stuff installed in the Addon Scenery folder, and other such "customizations" will not be affected.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>>Will changes made to FSX configuration and Add On products>>affect SP1? I also wondor what the Beta testers are using?>My>>hunch is that they are working off a clean unchanged version>>of FSX and not one that has been tweaked.>>This has already been covered. Short answer: If you have not>applied tweaks that involved renaming, removing, or editing>(non-cfg) files you are probably OK.>>Do an Advanced Search on "SP1 clean install" and you should>quickly find the carcass.>>-Doug>Doug, Nothing in "sp1 clean install" Do I read this right that after all the waiting SP1 will not fix the activation problem ? Tony

>>>Will changes made to FSX configuration and Add On products>>>affect SP1? I also wondor what the Beta testers are using?>>My>>>hunch is that they are working off a clean unchanged>version>>>of FSX and not one that has been tweaked.>>>>This has already been covered. Short answer: If you have not>>applied tweaks that involved renaming, removing, or editing>>(non-cfg) files you are probably OK.>>>>Do an Advanced Search on "SP1 clean install" and you should>>quickly find the carcass.>>>>-Doug>>>Doug,>> Nothing in "sp1 clean install" Do I read this right that>after all the waiting SP1 will not fix the activation problem>? >>>TonyDid you do an ADVANCED Search?The activation stuff is something I have little awareness of, so I really cannot comment.-Doug

>>The only files that will be updated by SP1 are the original,>default FSX files.>>Add on aircraft, stuff installed in the Addon Scenery folder,>and other such "customizations" will not be affected.>...and that is exactly why I am leaning against re-installing for SP1. I already had my /texture and a few other dir's backed up, so what other problems could there be with my install?No need to go thru the hassle of a reinstall here...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

-SNIP>>Why am I reminded of "mountains out of molehills" reading>these type threads?-SNIP->Well, IMO, FSX IS a mountain, full of molehills.... Paul

Wide-5.jpg