Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

What will the future of p3d bring us ?

will v5 be updated or will they go to V6 ? Or maybe V5 is the end of the line ?

if there is going to be a V6 will it be compatible with add on software ( or the other way around )?

most add on companies have shifted to ms2020 it seems and I don’t think they’ll be coming back to p3d….

I am keeping it for now. I am pretty certain there will be v6. That being said, I am also all about XP and especially MSFS. Nothing wrong with all 3 main sims.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

I am keeping it for now. I am pretty certain there will be v6. That being said, I am also all about XP and especially MSFS. Nothing wrong with all 3 main sims.

If you have the money!!

• Upvote 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

1 hour ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

2 is the max I have the time and patience for. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

LM keep their cards very close to their chest. v5 is still quite new so talk of a v6 is premature.

MSFS is very pretty on the surface but lacks the depth of P3D especially in the SDK. Forced updates and no 3rd party weather support is unattractive to me.

Whether it will become a viable rival for IFR flying will become clear over time. Having bought the PMDG737 twice I don’t intend to buy it a third time.

• Like 12
  • Upvote 9

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I’m just noticing how much dev attention the various sims are getting. The attention for MSFS is obvious. But XP has seen the release of really good addons that finally rival P3D in recent months. The ini A300/310, Toliss A340, the wonderful Felis 747-200, the FJS Dash 8 now. 
And soonish we’ll see high quality releases like the Aerobask Falcon 8X (where the devs have worked closely with Dassault), Toto’s Challenger and the Rotate MD11 is in beta now. 

Whereas on the P3D side… I guess there’s the TFDI MD11 but that’s probably delayed by the fact that they’re releasing for MSFS as well. And the Justflight A300… who knows if that’ll be released. 

There is the FSL Concorde whenever that actually comes out, but that is even more of a niche plane than some of the others. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Currently P3D is my third option when it comes to flight-sim. Sure, there are still some very good planes available, but all the rest is extremely lackluster.

On the other side, we have not only the juggernaut MSFS, evolving at a rapid pace, but also X-Plane, with some very impressive releases (A300/310, A340, Q400, 747-200, MD11) and a promising new version to look forward to.

I am afraid LM needs to act quickly, as the handful incoming P3D planes/sceneries are not enough to keep this divide from growing.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Upvote 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

36 minutes ago, flycln said:

And the Justflight A300… who knows if that’ll be released

Yes, and likewise their 747

XP is now taking up the mantle of heavy jet simulator for me.

I still use and like P3D though, it has a certain familiar comfort that makes me smile whenever I load it up.

Edited by jon b
  • Like 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

I’ve still been treating msfs as a vfr simulator due to its many limitations. Though I like it. But as of late I’ve been real curious about xp. Are there any limitations with it compared to p3d?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

9 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I’ve still been treating msfs as a vfr simulator due to its many limitations. Though I like it. But as of late I’ve been real curious about xp. Are there any limitations with it compared to p3d?

What do you mean by limitations?

Xplane is great becasue it has very low entry barriers. In my opinion you only need: Active Sky X, Enhanced SkyScapes/xVision and some payware aircrafts and you are set to go. No ORBX stuff, cause you have free Ortho and default ground textures are descent compared to P3D

• Like 1

P3dv5 still my number one, it just feels right to me flying airliners and looks very nice, plus proatc I enjoy with FS2crew and Ultimate Traffic Live 2.

XPlane is good with ortho4zp...but somehow the airliners just feel a bit like a feather in the wind....very loose, and I cant enjoy that.

MSFS looks amazing, truly does..... but thats where the satisfaction ends for me.

So Im hoping that Laminar continue and make progress with P3dv5....upwards and onwards so to speak..😃

Cheers.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.

2 hours ago, flycln said:

There is the FSL Concorde whenever that actually comes out, but that is even more of a niche plane than some of the others. 

Niche as in very different autopilot systems that will take time to understand but probably a lot simpler than an Airbus or Boeing. Very beautiful and very fast. And once the limitations of the 32-bit OS are removed the flight desk will be breathtaking. And that's before we get onto the Flight Engineer's panel which is a whole new area of expertise.

I can't wait to overtake a 777 or A330 at Mach 1.2. 😁

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Although not using p3d these days, if I were up to more "serious" airliner simming it would surely become a choice.

Used with the best available add-ons, including FSLabs for Airbus and Active Sky for the weather, P3d is still the most interesting offer IMO.

The focus on development appears to be more towards it's use as a military scenario-based simulation, an in that area the professional versions surely make it unique too, for desktop simulation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...