Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

I am satisfied with P3Dv4, and although MSFS has beautiful and realistic graphics, P3D is still #1 for me when it comes to simulating an environment for airliners thanks to tools like GSX, AIG AI and Active Sky (and of course the complex airplane add-ons). Unless and until MSFS will provide this environment, I will use P3D for airliner flights, and MSFS for sightseeing.

However, LM's lack of communication with users (especially with regard to the DXGI error) and the bugged implementation of EA has put a dent on their credibility and potential to shine bright in the future. This is where I need to credit MSFS for their interaction with customers - at least they respond and put bugs that need to be fixed on their to-do list. However, I don't like to be forced to update the sim if I have concerns that it might screw some things up, and I don't like to be required to have a Microsoft account to run it,

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, tamba765 said:

P3Dv6 and another $200? That will be the end for me.

Pete Locascio

Not $200!!! Check the price list.

Edited by IanHarrison
  • Upvote 2

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

If 5.2 (or .3 or wtv) will be my last Prepar3D version, I prefer XP over that pretty video-game that all the people talks about.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

i bought msfs, but i am just not fond of it, it kinda looks cartoonish too me, it's a pretty sim, but i will stay with p3d and x-plane until msfs has decent ifr. i don't like the control setup in msfs either. maybe me being 44 i just go with what works.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Well, I think P3D's future depends, at least in part, on how successful MSFS becomes.  If the MSFS developers manage to fix the many issues, shortcomings, lack of features, and stability of the sim, then I don't see P3D as being the "sim of the future".  I'm generalizing here, obviously, as there will continue to be die hard P3D and X-plane users for many years to come.

I've been wondering what a P3D version 6 would even be.  Will it simply be another incremental improvement over the previous version, like v5, or will it be a major change, incorporating new features and technology?  If it's just another UI change with some slight performance and lighting improvements then I just don't see it being very successful.

Dave 

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

2 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Will it simply be another incremental improvement over the previous version, like v5, or will it be a major change, incorporating new features and technology?

I hope for the first, but predict the latter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Well, I think P3D's future depends, at least in part, on how successful MSFS becomes.  If the MSFS developers manage to fix the many issues, shortcomings, lack of features, and stability of the sim, then I don't see P3D as being the "sim of the future".  I'm generalizing here, obviously, as there will continue to be die hard P3D and X-plane users for many years to come.

It's very weird that users in this forum are talking about how P3D's future hinges on MSFS's success.

Because LM does not care about the home market.  LM's key target with P3D has always been military and commercial customers.  The home market means very little to LM, and from my understanding at the last flight sim expo, LM said very little to placate home market users of P3D.

Because LM doesn't care about home market users (and technically, P3D isn't even supposed to be for home market users anyways), P3D probably won't be the "sim of the future" for the home market. 

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

It's very weird that users in this forum are talking about how P3D's future hinges on MSFS's success.

Because LM does not care about the home market.  LM's key target with P3D has always been military and commercial customers.  The home market means very little to LM, and from my understanding at the last flight sim expo, LM said very little to placate home market users of P3D.

Because LM doesn't care about home market users (and technically, P3D isn't even supposed to be for home market users anyways), P3D probably won't be the "sim of the future" for the home market. 

You are right about this in my opinion.  The hard thing to figure out is if airliner guys are going to be happy longterm in MSFS, or if XP12 takes that market. 

• Like 3

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

There are certain aircraft that are still just stunning in P3D, it is hard to leave just because of that. 

• Like 5

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

On 11/6/2021 at 5:41 PM, Rogen said:

I would hope MS's re-entry drives LM to raise their base line

Since LM doesn't produce an "entertainment" simulator product (they are precluded from doing so by contract with MS) why would they care about anything MS does with a consumer-based "entertainment" flight simulator?

• Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I don't think that LM cares about MSFS.  Whether they care or not isn't really relevant IMO.

The original post was about P3D's future.  It is my belief that if MSFS ever becomes a stable, mature flight simulator, then P3D will diminish in popularity, *unless* LM makes some really big improvements to P3D, especially to the scenery.  I doubt that will happen, but one never knows.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

2 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

We are not their primary target but several of us are beta testers for LM .

P3Dv5 will evolve and there will be a V6 and even a V7 as long as LM is a leafing company in the real aviation world

Myself, I am flying MSFS only these days in my home cockpit. Prosim is getting better support from the SDK although there is still a way to go.

In the meantime also P3Dv5.2 is still installed on both view pc’s I might even use P3D as the Fs server and 2 MSFS view pc’s as clients. Best of both worlds…

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I’ve done several flights with the fbw a320 in msfs and the aerosoft crj. Both great planes, but in my opinión, msfs just isn’t what I’m looking for at the moment. It is beautiful and love how great the default airports look, but so many things about it seem off. It just feels like I’m playing an Xbox game and not a simulator.

we’ll see what Lockheed does with P3d, and hopefully it’s continued development will benefit us airline armchair pilots. 

Edited by okupton
  • Like 8

Orman

There is only one Flight Sim for me Prepar3D. I'm not interested in anything else.

OPERATING SYSTEM: MS Windows 11 PRO | SIMULATOR : PREPAR3D v5.2 PRO | CPU : i9-10900X | MEMORY : 32GB CORSAIR  | GPU :  RTX 3060 Ti | SYSTEM DRIVE : 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe M.2 and Samsung Electronics 980 SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe |  MONITOR : LG 32" G-SYNC and second Monitor HP 28" | CONTROLS: CH-Trottle Quandrant | Honeycomb Yoke | Thrustmaster | AIG for AI traffic | PMDG 777F | ORBX central | some payware airports | AS & ASCA | ChasePlane | Navigraph | envshade

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

P3d is my #1 choice for flight simulation. I do use MSFS for low and slow flights specifically for the accuracy of the scenery.  But for flying IFR and selecting a plane from dozens and dozens of choices in my collection, there is nothing like P3d.  I love it and wish it a long life.  LM should be reading this post and realize how important this sim's development means to its loyal customers.

Stan

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3