Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

4 hours ago, spilok said:

P3d is my #1 choice for flight simulation. I do use MSFS for low and slow flights specifically for the accuracy of the scenery.  But for flying IFR and selecting a plane from dozens and dozens of choices in my collection, there is nothing like P3d.  I love it and wish it a long life.  LM should be reading this post and realize how important this sim's development means to its loyal customers.

Stan

LM knows that! But the main target is still USAF.....and those USAF like companies will keep P3D alive. 

I now have to continue my "work"....if those, who know me, understand what I'm saying. 🙂

Marcus

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I am glad to read so many comments in support of P3D. I find myself flying MSFS for some hours only after a new update has arrived (mostly Aerosoft CRJ and PMDG DC-6). Once helicopters are available, I will devote more time to it because of the sheer beauty in VR. But I will always go back to P3Dv5 for IFR (which I also do in VR) with PMDG 737/747/777, FSL A320, TFdi 717, Majestic Dash-8, Milviz King Air 350, Leonardo MD-82 and my A2A collection. For ATC, I still think that ProAtc-X is unsurpassed and that MSFS is missing something similar. May be we will get the next iteration of P3Dv5 within a few months, and may be we will see some surprising development.

Michael

Edited by michaelth
  • Like 1

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

I started out with P3D 3.4xx when I purchased my Jetline computer in the winter of 2015. I still am using that same desktop but have upgraded to P3D 5.1 hf1 at the beginning of 2021. Once LM is able to iron out the issues with EA then I will upgrade to that next version of P3D5 xxx. For now I am staying with P3D as I am enjoying it a lot and it is very stable, as well as all of the addon a\c that I enjoy that is not yet available for MSFS 2020. Just maybe some day and I mean maybe, I might break down and purchase MSFS 2020 once it matures but I am in no hurry to do so..

Raymie

• Like 2

Thank you for your replies!!!

For me it is essential that i can keep using p3dVxxxxxx for my de-havilland based home cockpit. MS2020 is just not an option due to its bad fsuipc compatibility at the moment ( i use mostly real analog instruments) and the lack of a de-havilland dove in general for x plane and ms2020.

The issue i am having is that many developers are probably not going to adjust there products to an update p3dVxx that might need it and i am stuck. I am very happy with v5 to be honest. Yes it needs some work but generally very good .

MS2020 is fun with VR but that is not what i am after. 

I really hope that p3d remains backward compatible ( which is a great thing that they have kinda managed!) but i also understand it is not their core business and the have the right to do so...

• Like 2

I have long since used P3D and just really don't see that changing in the near future. The number one reason is that I have set up my home cockpit to use the RealAir Legacy and Reality GTN 750's. For GA flying this combo is hard to beat. I can beat up the local traffic pattern or do a quick flight from the Gulf Coast up to Nashville at 220 kts or slow down for a bit of sight seeing when the mood comes over me. I own very few of the larger Airport add ons because I don't want to fly there anyway. For  us pretend pilots in itty bitty air planes we stick with grass strips and Exec airports just like we would do in real life. All I have to do is look at the front page of AVSIM at the posts and cries for help from those trying to get the latest 100 Gig update for the update that did not work well from last week from our friends over at MS. It reads a lot like the reports of a Houston Rock concert. I am not about to go there either!! For many of us who have been around the pattern a few times in our life then we know that many times less can be more! For us I think LM will continue to give us "less" so we can enjoy it more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I use both MSFS for some short scenic flights but still mostly fly Prepar3d. I recently upgraded to V5. I have UTL/GSX/REX/tons of aircraft, tons of scenery, tons of airports, and it all works seamlessly and a nice boost in performance from V4. 

• Like 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I do not see why P3D will not have a future, according to its purpose. I do not think P3D and MSFS compare well or that the two companies are competing -- they are in different spaces. P3D is a simulation platform, designed to allow companies to script a wide, wide range of scenarios and see how they work out. It is a platform for planning simulation, and while flight is naturally the primary focus, it is also for naval, fire and rescue, and police tactical operations. It is a professional platform aimed at military and civilian entities that have a need to carry out simulations. It has  an incredibly developed SKD to allow clients to script such simulations. In this way it serves some important, real-world needs. MSFS is not that. It is a dedicated and very focused flight simulation platform aimed at a wide consumer audience. I just do not think the two are competing in a meaningful way -- different platforms aimed at different audiences.

A bunch of home, consumer flight simulation enthusiasts purchased P3D to continue practicing their hobby after FSX was abandoned and this created some overlap and hence this discussion, but I have always thought of that as a fluke of history. LM purchased the rights to ESP to develop a simulation platform for corporate entities, not to win over flight simulation enthusiasts. My impression is that LM has stayed focused on its objective, and while it encouraged and benefitted from the enthusiasts involvement with the platform, whether they continue use it s not much of a concern. LM will continue to develop and support the platform for its intended purpose.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Dan Scott

I have P3Dv5 and MSFS but spend about 99% of my time in P3Dv5 less hassles than MSFS

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I can't answer the topic question, but during the latest FSExpo they've told this about the future of Prepar3D:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

The Future of P3D. P3Dv5xx then P3Dv6 and so on even if you do not want it your choice, It is an inhouse project for LM you don`t have to buy in if you don`t want.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

It's said a lot.

P3D earns it's money with military and professional business consumers. 

"We" simmers are very very niche....Compared to the billions they earn with professionals.....we are not even tiny 🙂

But...I would be glad if they still provide us with updates and better quality as a bases. I still enjoy it ....but it's not the only Plattform I use and the feature is providing more choice (without naming them here).

Marcus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

If Lockheed Martin do go down the Google Maps path, then the game is very definitely back on.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

If Lockheed Martin do go down the Google Maps path, then the game is very definitely back on.

AND better looking atmosphere....(Clouds, lighting overall, cloud depth and shadows....)..here MSFS has done a good job....at least....overall the lighting is better.

I wish P3D does some updates here too...

Like the overall look of different weather areas while flying......holes in the clouds....different cloud models.....seeing the transitions while panning around....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

19 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

if the military want google maps path then the game is back on.

14ppkc-6.png

On 11/8/2021 at 9:01 AM, W2DR said:

Since LM doesn't produce an "entertainment" simulator product (they are precluded from doing so by contract with MS) why would they care about anything MS does with a consumer-based "entertainment" flight simulator?

Because if a user base drops too low so to will 3rd party developer support and given LM seem to base raising the P3D bar by the addition of 3rd party developement, it would eventually be a problem if there were less 3rd partys able to provide such developer support.

Besides not all people/orgs who run simulators commercially are millitary and certainly improved scenery would be applicable in such circumstances.

And lots of pilots practice checkrides, senarios and such with rated full cockpit simulators based on P3D.

Before I flew to a location I'd not been at previously I do a few sim flights to get the lay of the land and airport so to speak.

And in simulation more realism = better does it not ?

Cheers

https://es.opencockpits.com/en/boeing-737-2/

https://flightexperience.com/pages/boeing-737-flight-simulator

Edited by Rogen
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D