Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

This is off topic but I’ve said it before. All sims are games unless someone is paying you a living wage to be a professional simmer and or, there is a sim that extracts the ultimate penalty for a screw up. Either an exploding yoke or a trap door under your desk that opens and drops you into the infernal regions.. Then you can truly say “ This is not a game”!!

• Like 1

Vic green

I wish there was a bright future for P3D. The last update from LM was 5 months ago and we have heard nothing since. In that time MSFS has had 3 major updates and if anything development seems to be accelerating. Unfortunately LM are terrible at communicating anything to us so we are left with just speculation. One thing is clear and that is development for P3D does seem to be dying from 3rd party developers at least. 

I have to say that despite all of MSFS troubles and problems I have found it to be incredibly immersive. For me that is what a simulator is, I can pretend I really am there! The development cycles although sometimes annoying are also very exciting as are all the new high fidelity airliners that are being announced. None of this bodes well for P3D. So far I have not bought a single addon for MSFS but fly it most days.

I am sure P3D is not going anywhere but it is hard to argue that it is not being left behind rapidly. I guess that will suit some people just fine.  

• Like 1

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

Let’s not get into the game versus simulator debate please. It’s been done to death over and over again.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

50 minutes ago, rocketlaunch said:

I wish there was a bright future for P3D. The last update from LM was 5 months ago

I believe some.of the beta testers are, err, testing, but they wouldn't be able to confirm that to you without killing you afterwards 🤣

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

....and Lockheed Martin beta testers probably have access to slightly more effective weapons than the average beta testers :laugh:

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Let’s not get into the game versus simulator debate please. It’s been done to death over and over again.

I agree with you Ray. Just like the P3D vs. MSFS one's a simulator while the other's a game diatribe. Interesting discussion though. Quoting the "done to death over and over" I take it you were punning my dark humor:) 

Vic green

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

I believe some.of the beta testers are, err, testing, but they wouldn't be able to confirm that to you without killing you afterwards 🤣

A patch this week would make sense as it's within the 5 month cycle and would give them a couple weeks before another holiday to issue the usual hot fix that's always needed. 

53 minutes ago, Patco Lch said:

I agree with you Ray. Just like the P3D vs. MSFS one's a simulator while the other's a game diatribe. Interesting discussion though. Quoting the "done to death over and over" I take it you were punning my dark humor:) 

Just a coincidence. 😉 

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If my memory serves me right, I switched from FS2004 to P3Dv2.5 in May 2015. The reason was the HDD that suddenly died with horrible sound. I skipped FSX entirely.

PS. I also smell big Asobo payware update sometimes at the end of 2022 🙂 

Pretty happy P3D user here. With FSLabs Home Cockpit and 220 Addon sceneries, I certainly won't change anytime soon. I have a very convincing weather simulation and depiction, capable for serious flight planning, and believable AI traffic showing up even at deserted places. What more would I need ?

I'm OK if future 5.x versions further optimize EA, that's it.

Hopefully no extensive scenery changes in P3Dv6.  With almost all developers moved over to MSFS, please no ! No one would do any airport updates then.

While I'm at it, the only thing that really disturbs me: Developers with the MSFS $$ sign in their eyes, that have completely abandoned their, for almost a decade, loyal P3D customers. Aerosoft is such an example, they left their P3D EDDB Airport in a horrible state. Or FS2Crew, who have abandoned their P3D flagship product UGCX. Even though it probably wouldn't be much effort to fix it.

I'll keep those developers in mind regarding any future purchases.

Mike

Edited by mikealpha
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 5

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

Microsoft pulled the plug on FSX leaving it with some serious bugs. 

They will do it again with MSFS, it's just a matter of time.   

As for LM, they are a defense contractor and have no obligation to tell us anything.  

• Like 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

We can certainly speculate on the future of P3D but that's all it is, is speculation.  Since we don't know LMs business model in this space nor where their revenue streams come from we have no idea of the impact that MSFS has had on them.  Personally, I think there's room for both sims.  It all depends on what you want from them.  I currently own both and I spend much more time with P3D than MSFS for various reasons.  I see the introduction of MSFS as a much bigger boom for 3rd party developers than a detriment to LM.  However, that is of course, speculation. 🙂  

• Upvote 1

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

13 hours ago, BlueStar said:

They will do it again with MSFS, it's just a matter of time.  

Mm, I don't think so.

13 hours ago, BlueStar said:

As for LM, they are a defense contractor and have no obligation to tell us anything.  

They don't have to do anything for us either.

• Like 1

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

Im very happy with how far flight simulation has developed after all the decades I`ve been flying them. Long may LM P3d be my number one airline sim of choice.

Edited by Recognition
forgot a word

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.