Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

I believe that developers are not returning to Prepar3D. Even those who are still on P3D will move to MSFS.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

Yes, the situation is quite challenging for LM. The community demands a significant shift away from the ESP architecture, but this cannot be accomplished without sacrificing some backwards compatibility. Most content creators who played a pivotal role in the success of P3D have already moved onto other platforms with different tool sets and frameworks, so even a demand for minor re-work to make any existing content compatible could jeopardise the platforms success. Whats more, some titles are integrated with others - take our upcoming Concorde for P3D v5 as an example, which shares integration with GSX and Activesky.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out. I think a lot of developers, especially those now involved with MSFS, will wait and see how the community react to a v5 successor before committing any resources towards compatibility/new content. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

If LM could update some of the eye candy/lighting as well as TrueSky clouds with p3dv6 while keeping compatibility of existing addons, I'd be a happy camper.  I understand that could be easier said than done, and majority of our community is demanding a bigger update.

I do realize that I am in the minority here, but to me, P3dv5 still outshines the other sims for the type of flying that I do, which is strictly airline operations.  There is a ton of content out there, so even if nothing new is developed for the sim, I will still be happy with p3dv5 for at least the next two years, when airports become too outdated to not match charts.  

I've got pretty much every plane I could possibly want in relatively high fidelity, with just a really good heavy airbus aircraft missing from my fleet.  High quality AI planes, historical weather, working weather radar, GSX integration, etc.  To me, the list goes on as to why P3dv5 is still the king for my style of flying. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 5

Orman

I agree with everything this man said ☝️

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

Besides all that @okupton said, in Prepar3d I would also like to have better ambient lighting and, something no one says, better antialiasing.

• Upvote 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

5 minutes ago, Juliet Alpha said:

Besides all that @okupton said, in Prepar3d I would also like to have better ambient lighting and, something no one says, better antialiasing.

Good point.  AA in V5.3 is broken.

Orman

2 hours ago, okupton said:

I do realize that I am in the minority here, but to me, P3dv5 still outshines the other sims for the type of flying that I do, which is strictly airline operations.  There is a ton of content out there, so even if nothing new is developed for the sim, I will still be happy with p3dv5 for at least the next two years, when airports become too outdated to not match charts.  

One staffer here on AvSim has 250 airports for his P3D setup. And he probably doesn’t have all of them. I have around a quarter of that and I continue to buy the,

I’m holding off for a while until I get a new computer. But after that it’s full steam ahead with v5.3 stuff and, using an educated guess, for v6 too.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I don't wanna be rude, but why we still compare Prepar3d to MSFS2020? 

I am user of Prepar3d since 2019. And I am totally pleased with it and do not need to change it. 

As of it's future, may be I am one of the few people still on v4.5 because of Tomato Shade. That program is a milestone of Prepar3D for me, because thx to it I can make my sim look ravishing entirely for free. 

I own all the PMDG 737, 747 and 777 variants for Prepar3D. Also QW 787, Vertx Diamond DA-62 and Carenado A-36. Those planes are stable for me which is why I stick with them. And I am planning to buy FsLabs A320, A330 and Concorde later for my fleet. When it comes to planes I think the most stable simulator is Prepar3D. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PavlinS said:

I am user of Prepar3d since 2019. And I am totally pleased with it and do not need to change it. 

As of it's future, may be I am one of the few people still on v4.5 because of Tomato Shade. That program is a milestone of Prepar3D for me, because thx to it I can make my sim look ravishing entirely for free. 

I own all the PMDG 737, 747 and 777 variants for Prepar3D. Also QW 787, Vertx Diamond DA-62 and Carenado A-36. Those planes are stable for me which is why I stick with them. And I am planning to buy FsLabs A320, A330 and Concorde later for my fleet. When it comes to planes I think the most stable simulator is Prepar3D. 

After I wrote my earlier post, I was afraid it would come off as comparing sims, which I guess it does.  I didn’t write what I wrote  to knock the other sims, but just wanted to illustrate why P3d has a future on my hard drive as is, no matter what future versions of prepar3d brings.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Orman

19 minutes ago, okupton said:

After I wrote my earlier post, I was afraid it would come off as comparing sims, which I guess it does.

Eye candy in Prepar3D can be done for free. Tomato Shade, reshade and custom sky textures combined gives very good results in Prepar3D. 

I'll give example. This is how P3D looks without ORBX with those I mentioned:
A8BeRQ1.png

It's RKSI area. As you can see - looks very well. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PavlinS said:

Over the past couple of weeks I have completely reinstalled v5.3, along with its many aircraft addons, scenery addons, AI addons, airport addons, weather addons, and the odd .cfg tweak here and there etc etc. addons addons addons...

@PavlinS If anything your post has made me feel that I should never have uninstalled it in the first place, so thank you 😎

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-13900K | 6400MHz DDR5 (32GB) | GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | ViewSonic 27in QHD VA 165Hz Curved | Windows 10 |

MSFS Premium Deluxe | PMDG 737 | PMDG 777 | Horizon 787-9

Marc

One comment referred to charts. Are they really necessary? If I remember correctly, I never used charts in FSX. 

If your sim is all set up and no changes are made, won't runways and frequencies remain the same for ever?

Ok, maybe a few runways shift numbers according to magnetic variation IRL, but would that necessarily affect a sim?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

3 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

If your sim is all set up and no changes are made, won't runways and frequencies remain the same for ever?

Ok, maybe a few runways shift numbers according to magnetic variation IRL, but would that necessarily affect a sim?

If you use Aivlasoft’s EFB changes of runway designations affect SIDs and STARs. Unless you keep data up to date that program won’t be able to show those in flight planning.

Bear in mind VORs and NDBs also change and there’s a website where you can update the core data. https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

A request has to be made to the author for v5 access.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I must say that i still am very happy with p3dv5.3 .It runs great and without problems. Wondering now when v6 will be released, beta was announced a long time ago and appearently on you tube an addon was announced  with v6 install in it (see other thread as well )   https://youtu.be/2izyl_YHUxU

i wonder if this is real...

Edited by remcosol

8 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

One comment referred to charts. Are they really necessary? If I remember correctly, I never used charts in FSX. 

If you fly on line, or like to replicate current airline routes, etc., not having charts and/or updated nav data is not practical.  Things change all the time.  For example, later this week, a significant chunk of the southern UK airspace is going to change.  

• Upvote 1