Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

As a PMDG IFR flyer i am focused on inside the cockpit not the scenery only at airports does the scenery come into focus.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

A reminder that this is the P3D forum and this is not a MSFS vs P3D thread.

• Upvote 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, Bob Scott said:

A reminder that this is the P3D forum and this is not a MSFS vs P3D thread.

Well, is not the question “The Future of P3d” , which to be honest as a 8+ year P3d enthusiast with thousands of dollars invested, the future looks pretty grim right now.  I also don’t see how this discussion can be had without the mention of the 800 lbs Elephant on the table.

It seems that tribalism rules discussions in the simulation world nowadays, maybe always, and that can cause grief to come to threads like these, but do we prefer censorship over debate? I am not trying to insinuate censorship on Bob’s part, after all this thread remains open and I am responding to it, so no censorship displayed, but it does seem more often than not anymore that seems to be the outcome here on Avsim and in society in general.  Sadly Civil Debate is a lost art in this generation. 

And of course, all of the above is just an opinion which means that disagreement with me is OK. 
-B

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I am looking forward to the FSL Neo and maybe the Concorde. Later in may/June its time for some Majestic Dash 8 with latest update.

Other than that the PMDG777/747 is planned for vacation trips around July/August.

So i am not in a hurry for v6 to be honest if it requires a reinstall. Like others so many thousands of dollars still on this platform.

Side by side i will say.

MD82 is my favorit all time and it gets better and better on the other platform so there goes my time right now.

Michael Moe  

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I think people really fail to understand why simmers stick with prepar3d as they can’t comprehend that simmers fly for different reasons. Prepar3d is not going anywhere as their main market is not the consumer one (and this is a good thing). This is a good thing as they will always prioritise flying fidelity over anything else.

I have been flying for around 12 years now and I don’t care if Prepar3d V6 brings in better scenery. I don’t care because I only fly study level aircrafts and it is all about fidelity.

I am not interested in moving to FS2020 as I still believe that there are not enough study level aircraft offerings and the current ones lack maturity. This is again just my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Although I don't fly study level aircraft, P3D does everything I need well.
Also, I have more aircraft and scenery that I'm willing to admit I haven't really used. So there's that. I'm opening all those gift boxes as we speak.

I think we will be surprised what V6 has in store. It has been a long time since we've seen or heard anything from LM. They've been working on something. 😀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, btacon said:

… as a 8+ year P3d enthusiast with thousands of dollars invested, the future looks pretty grim right now.

Can I ask how many airports you’ve bought for P3D plus how many aircraft do you fly? Quite a lot judging by that comment. There must be hundreds of airports available on SimMarket that are v5 compatible. Years of development with new airports such as Dhaka now available at a 60% discount.

I have no intention of moving away from P3D. Too much money invested in software. I only fly five different aircraft and two of those are still exclusive to P3D. Once FSL releases 64-bit Concorde I can finally wipe v3 off my system.

I could live with v5.3 for a long time. It’s come such a long way since November 2010.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

46 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Can I ask how many airports you’ve bought for P3D plus how many aircraft do you fly? Quite a lot judging by that comment. There must be hundreds of airports available on SimMarket that are v5 compatible. Years of development with new airports such as Dhaka now available at a 60% discoun

Ray i have been simming and buying addons for well over 25 years. I probably have easily a thousand add-ons for P3d (all versions) alone. I owned pretty much every Orbx offering right up till Aug 2020 when I started playing with MSFS. At first, much like you I was sorely disappointed after all the flashy hypey videos of planes, airports and air transport operations!  Seemed like there was little meat on the bones at release but because it was so radically different in so many ways I stuck with it.

And now?  Can’t go back. Just took my PMDG 747-8 for a long haul trans-oceanic flight in P3d v 5.most current.  All of it looks so strange now. From that hideous blue band encircling the horizon to those rotating spritely clouds so actively produced by Active Sky, well all of it looked so…FSX when compared to the current and greatly evolved MSFS 2020, well I can never go back.  Simple. Truth. And I believe many others feel the same way, and most certainly the big developers do.

Time marches on. It waits for no one but that does not mean that we have to keep up. You say P3d supports your needs now and into the probable future and I believe you 100%. I will not begrudge you or anyone the right to like and enjoy P3d v x.x. At the same time don't begrudge me the right to enjoy MSFS 2020 after 27 months of active and constant development.  To me it is clearly the most beautiful, immersive and visually spectacular simulator in existence on a desktop, then add to it the most advanced avionics and navigation systems ever offered as “stock” in a pc based flight simulator and it then becomes the obvious choice for flight simulation.  Fly the current Longitude and then honestly try to rebut that statement.  

I sincerely hope you and everyone can find pleasure in whatever simulation platform you have and more importantly that you have fun, because at the end of the day that’s what a hobby is for!

Regards, 

-Braun

Edited by btacon
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, btacon said:

I will not begrudge you or anyone the right to like and enjoy P3d v x.x. At the same time don't begrudge me the right to enjoy MSFS 2020 after 27 months of active and constant development.  To me it is clearly the most beautiful, immersive and visually spectacular simulator in existence on a desktop,

I have no intention of begrudging you anything Bruce. We are all different and all have our own priorities. I wish I could get excited about MSFS but I can’t. I won’t list the reasons as I’ve done it before and they haven’t changed.

9 minutes ago, btacon said:

Just took my PMDG 747-8 for a long haul trans-oceanic flight in P3d v 5.most current.  All of it looks so strange now. From that hideous blue band encircling the horizon..

Bob Scott created a fix for that. I don’t have a problem with the clouds. Again, we’re all different.

When finally I can fly Concorde at Mach 2 the workload is extremely high. It’s over open ocean of course and at FL500+ no simulator will have an advantage. It’s all about the aircraft and not the view.

I hope you continue to devolve pleasure from your flying. That’s the most important aspect of our hobby which ever sim we use. 😉

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I only fly five different aircraft and two of those are still exclusive to P3D. Once FSL releases 64-bit Concorde I can finally wipe v3 off my system.

You really only fly five different aircraft!?!?  God bless you if that's all you need but I would never be satisfied only flying five.  There are so many fascinating aircraft out there to experience.  I have about 15 different aircraft for P3Dv5 and that's not including all the aircraft I own for X-Plane 11/12 🤣

27 minutes ago, btacon said:

I have been simming and buying addons for well over 25 years.

The curious thing is that you are abandoning a simulator in which you invested so much money, time and I presume effort. 

We are not like you. We stick with P3D because no matter how " good" [ my opinion - oversaturated] MSFS2020 is it still lacks good flight model. I had seen streamers struggling to land any study level plane that this sim offers, which means that this sim needs something that still do not have which is good control surfaces. 

And with P3D and the amount of scenery created for it and the possibilities it can offer it is clear winner when it comes to control surfaces, airplane behavior and shading as well. To me you are clearly neglecting that sim, just because you see that numbers of developers left it. 

But this does not mean there won't be any other developers striking for creation of new scenery. And add-on's. FSLabs still produces planes, I personally found a fix for the problem of PMDG landings with bounce and unstable speed control. 

P3D offers much more customization than FS2020. 

People are being lazy towards simming lately, because new users do not care for tweaking and solving of bugs and problems. 

That's one giant difference between FS2020 users and P3D users. 

The fact you are neglecting your previous sim because of it does not mean we should follow your lead.  

• Like 1

Talking about what you have spent on P3D addons was your choice. But at the present rate MSFS will generate three time the addons and be a cash cow for MS as they hope it would be.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

21 minutes ago, PavlinS said:

The fact you are neglecting your previous sim because of it does not mean we should follow your lead.  

He's not telling anyone to follow his lead, dude. You get so riled up over the most innocuous posts. I know I can be toxic here sometimes, but you're taking it to a new level.

Edited by chapstick
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Kalnon said:

You really only fly five different aircraft!?!?  God bless you if that's all you need but I would never be satisfied only flying five.  There are so many fascinating aircraft out there to experience.  I have about 15 different aircraft for P3Dv5 and that's not including all the aircraft I own for X-Plane 11/12 🤣

I'm currently flying just one.

Like one of my parents told me more than once: Mark, you've got a drawer full of expensive knives; none of them sharp.

20 minutes ago, chapstick said:

He's not telling anyone to follow his lead, dude. You get so riled up over the most innocuous posts. I know I can be toxic here sometimes, but you're taking it to a new level.

I don't know Chapstick, I don't know. 😄