Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

Done! (opening a ticket in //42 support).

• Like 4

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

21 hours ago, Juliet Alpha said:

Done! (opening a ticket in //42 support).

Did that too!

The more people open the tickets , the more P42 will see there is still a user demand for having CP updated.

• Like 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

On 5/23/2023 at 10:13 PM, psolk said:

I personally don't see whatever is "next" as a P3D V6 running on Unreal and maintaining backwards compatibility.

I personally don't see if P3D V6 really runs on Unreal, few facts but many assumptions at the moment.

Maybe P3D V6 will be just a bigger update of the "classical" P3D and the Unreal thing will have a new name ?
As you mentioned, the Unreal thing will be a big step as the underlying engine is very different (as far as I know) .

So the future may lead us to two questions: future of classical P3D vs. future of a mission based, Unreal based something  ?

3 hours ago, QuaxTheSnoopie said:

As you mentioned, the Unreal thing will be a big step as the underlying engine is very different (as far as I know) .

Going 32bit to 64bit from P3Dv3 to P3Dv4 was probably a bigger step. Anything is possible.

brgds, Ron

Flying P3Dv5 with PMDG 737 NGXu, 747v3, 777; QW 787; Orbx; Chaseplane, AI Lights Reborn Pro, Lots of AI, AIController

Visit www.airlinesim.aero

19 hours ago, QuaxTheSnoopie said:

I personally don't see if P3D V6 really runs on Unreal, few facts but many assumptions at the moment.

Maybe P3D V6 will be just a bigger update of the "classical" P3D and the Unreal thing will have a new name ?

So the future may lead us to two questions: future of classical P3D vs. future of a mission based, Unreal based something  ?

Because P3D already supports CIGI (I think it's Pro-Plus now) it would be possible to build a display engine in Unreal as a separate application and use it an an image generator. Probably not the approach they would take, but it could be done without needing to completely re-write the guts of the sim. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

3 hours ago, neilhewitt said:

Because P3D already supports CIGI (I think it's Pro-Plus now) it would be possible to build a display engine in Unreal as a separate application and use it an an image generator. Probably not the approach they would take, but it could be done without needing to completely re-write the guts of the sim. 

I think you are pretty much right in the ball park with this idea. In fact, when LM first brought up the Unreal engine in public they pretty much said that the ability to "bolt on new" capabilities without starting from ground up again was a driving force for this partnership. LM has pretty much always pushed for developers of scenery and aircraft add on products to install outside of the sim and use the sim connect type tech approach to communicate with P3D. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Prepar3D v6 available July 3, 2023.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

LM move slowly, it's good to see their "official" announcement finally.  I wouldn't expect gamers to come back to P3D, that market's focus is very different and much more lucrative for 3rd party.

I was made aware of this from a dev I know: 

Notice actual bridges and not cardboard cut-outs.

IMHO, this is the ultimate direction of P3D based on the usage of some elements of Ureal Engine and Google's release (if those are accurate).  My guess this will not be in V6, but maybe V7 as that would remove most of the 3rd party dependencies for scenery so the focus would be aircraft and simulation (not to mention the obvious benefits to training and the military).

That v6 announcement video is one of the most underwhelming videos I've seen in a while. 

Edited by Arklight1
  • Like 4

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

4 minutes ago, Arklight1 said:

That v6 announcement video is one of the most underwhelming videos I've seen in a while. 

Did you miss the v5 one?
https://youtu.be/Jz6KE8dflBc?t=46

Not that I'm blown away by it, though IMO, the v6 trailer is much better.

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

3 hours ago, F737MAX said:

Did you miss the v5 one?

Yeah, doesn't really look all that much different and that was 3 yrs ago. Really underwhelmed by the announcement. Ugh..

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

On 6/25/2023 at 12:26 AM, F737MAX said:

Did you miss the v5 one?

Oh boy, that v5 video was short. Does somebody know, where that sloped airfield is? Would like to look at it in the sim.

The v6 trailer is definitely better, the simulation however, is probably still the same. I see no reason to go further with LM.

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

30 minutes ago, blaunarwal said:

I see no reason to go further with LM

What do you mean? There are legit reasons to stick with P3D.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

I think the main question will be is, how much of a difference v6 really is over v5 in terms of compatible add-ons and how much re-work it will potentially mean for 3rd party developers.

The detailed airport views in the trailer in my view did not look substantially more improved than other sceneries already available for v5.

In terms of weather and atmospherics, this could be a substantial change therefore I could imagine quite a bit of rework for companies like HiFi,. Rex , Opus, Realweather etc.

Based on this plus the decreasing user base, will mean a serious consideration if developers would return to v6.

Until I know more on what v6 has to offer and what developers will be supporting this major version, I will continue to use v5. Hopefully more info will be shared at the Expo.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!