Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

Guest Multisim
2 minutes ago, micstatic said:

these threads are always super weird.  Because there is always a handful of people who clearly do not use p3d anymore.  Who want to point out how great microsoft fs is.  I can't imagine hanging around a forum for a product I didn't even use or plan to use. 

Like I said earlier.  I got my alpha test invite over 2 years ago and still waiting for the big changes that enable me to switch.  Forgive me for being pessimistic.  And now the developers have been showing increasing signs of such also.  (Not including scenery devs).  

It goes both ways. There are so many lies and misunderstandings about MSFS in this thread and all other ones like it that it's obvious that most of the people haven't even tried both, or maybe just started MSFS and shut it down just because it didn't look and behave like your other sim.

3 minutes ago, Multisim said:

In your opinition, if you rate the big 3 (MSFS, P3D, X-plane) from "we really care about our community" to "we really don't care, as you are not our target audience", how would your list look and how do you think that affects building an open, community-friendly platform?

I'll take a stab at this.  I don't at all feel like Microsoft target audience.  They wouldn't have locked the weather engine and camera system to 3rd party developers if I was!  But I would absolutely contend Lockheed is not in any way into engagement with this community either.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Guest Multisim
On 12/17/2021 at 7:02 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Forced updates and no historical weather (via 3rd party weather programs) are two that spring to mind. And no Boeing 737NGX either.

So when asked what one have but not the other, you answer something that neither of them have (without 3rd party addons). That's a bit odd. You know very well that the heavies will start to show up in MSFS pretty soon now. You also know that most developers producing them for P3D have pretty much left the building already.

As to the automatic updates. yes that's annoying. I also totally understand why they do it at this stage. It would be a nightmare to handle bug reports and feature requests if there were thousands of different versions out there. I'm sure this will change in the future when the software matures.

Edited by Multisim

6 minutes ago, Multisim said:

It goes both ways. There are so many lies and misunderstandings about MSFS in this thread and all other ones like it that it's obvious that most of the people haven't even tried both, or maybe just started MSFS and shut it down just because it didn't look and behave like your other sim.

I've been using it since day 1.  Day 1 of alpha.  I like certain things about it for sure.  It's cool to fly the cub and look around.  I just don't care to do simulated airline flying in it.  Just because people don't love it like you do, doesn't mean they haven't given it a chance. 

Automatic updates are worse than annoying.  the are crippling at times.  

Edited by micstatic
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

30 minutes ago, Multisim said:

There are so many lies and misunderstandings about MSFS in this thread and all other ones like it that it's obvious that most of the people haven't even tried both, or maybe just started MSFS and shut it down just because it didn't look and behave like your other sim.

I've tried both, I dont like the trees in MSFS, they appear too homogenous to me.  I dislike the way the Sims menus are oriented towards the Xbox (too large, they don't feel sensible to me, I hate the in sim menu at the top).  I HATE the in sim ATC with its stupid American accents and incorrect phraseology everywhere.

Yes it's different, some of it requires a user attitude adjustment and some of it just doesn't work for me.

In truth, the simple basic reason I dont use it much and continue with P3D, is that I cannot fly the aeroplanes I want to, in the way I want to - yet.

• Like 5

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

spacer.png xaP1VAU.png

29 minutes ago, Multisim said:

So when asked what one have but not the other, you answer something that neither of them have (without 3rd party addons). That's a bit odd

Adobo will not give access to third party developers for weather. That has been stated explicitly. I won’t be buying the PMDG737 for a third time.

32 minutes ago, Multisim said:

You know very well that the heavies will start to show up in MSFS pretty soon now. You also know that most developers producing them for P3D have pretty much left the building already.

Not interested in “heavies” for MSFS. If I ever buy it it would only be for low level VFR flights. FS Labs will be releasing Concorde for P3D next year so not all have left the building.

34 minutes ago, Multisim said:

As to the automatic updates. yes that's annoying....I'm sure this will change in the future when the software matures.

More than annoying. I won’t consider buying it until I have control over whether I want to update or not. I hope you’re right.

• Like 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I would summarise MSFS as a sim with many flaws but has wonderful views.

P3D is for people who value flying an aircraft to a very high standard with the view out of the window of secondary importance.

• Like 8

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

46 minutes ago, Multisim said:

So when asked what one have but not the other, you answer something that neither of them have (without 3rd party addons)

I compare them as to what overall experience I can obtain from each sim, when I start it up now, base application plus currently available add-ons.  No other comparison makes sense, since otherwise I would leave this hobby and take up painting watercolours or something...

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

spacer.png xaP1VAU.png

9 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

P3D is for people who value flying an aircraft to a very high standard with the view out of the window of secondary importance.

At present yes, anyone who says they can accurately predict and compare the relative state or available functions of both sims, default and including add-ons, in 2 years time should be in the arctic circle selling refrigeration equipment.

I dont even subscribe to the great visuals argument everywhere. Try flying VFR in Serbia and locate for me the town of Knazevac please?   Ok maybe that's quite snarky, but the point stands, I could provide a list of places I've been in my life where MSFS coverage is...less than exciting.

Edited by kevinfirth
  • Like 2

spacer.png xaP1VAU.png

@kevinfirth, I can only judge it from what I’ve seen on friend’s PCs.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

I dont even subscribe to the great visuals argument everywhere. Try flying VFR in Serbia and locate for me the town of Knazevac please?   Ok maybe that's quite snarky, but the point stands, I could provide a list of places I've been in my life where MSFS coverage is...less than exciting.

Yes, add Croatia to that list also.

• Like 1

Ivan Majetic

ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO; 7900X3D; NZXT KRAKEN ELITE 360, GIGABYTE RTX 4080; G.SKILL TridentZ DDR5 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ALIENWARE 3423DWF

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Yes, I agree about P3D but would also add that the view out the window (with Orbx at least) is not in any way sub-standard.

• Like 2

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

4 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Yes, I agree about P3D but would also add that the view out the window (with Orbx at least) is not in any way sub-standard.

If you have True Earth then yes. I’ve never seen it except in screenshots.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 hours ago, Multisim said:

Read the first post the O/P razed MSFS in this forum not P3D users, I have not razed a P3D thread in the MSFS forum I have the Deluxe version of MSFS and it`s up to date, it should be up to the user which sim they use sim bashing is now the norm on Avsim it appears, for what it worth P3Dv6 will come as it is an inhouse LM project you are not forced to buy it. This thread has run it course this is a P3D forum for users using the product, and MSFS forum is for MSFS users.    

• Like 6

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Since msfs was released, I’ll admit I’ve abandoned p3d as I haven’t used it since msfs released, I even went as far as uninstalling…. After reading a lot of these posts, not all but lots, I kind of want to re-install p3d and fly the majestic dash 8 as well as some heavies around.

I don’t know that I will, but I’m getting the urge to fly some high fidelity aircraft, of which I have a lot of them invested in p3d. 

Edited by flyinpilot212121

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel.