Sign in to follow this  
zmak

I5 11600k vs 11600

The K has a turbo frequency of 4.9 ghz and the other is 4.8 

My question is why bother buying the unlocked version when the turbo will take you there anyway? 

ZORAN

5 hours ago, zmak said:

The K has a turbo frequency of 4.9 ghz and the other is 4.8 

My question is why bother buying the unlocked version when the turbo will take you there anyway? 

Turbo is only good for one core where as with an overclock can get you 4.9ghz or more across all the cores.Also I wouldn't buy an 11th gen as 12th gen just released and has a 20-30% performance increase over 11th gen

• Like 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

The "K" is an unlocked CPU, allowing the user to potentially overclock it beyond 4.9 GHz.  This used to be a big deal, but with the modern crop of Intel CPU's, there seems to be very little extra gained with overclocking.  My current rig is a pre-built system with an I7-10700F, but it will run all of its cores at 4.6 GHz and if needed, it will run 4 cores at 4.6, the other 4 cores at 4.7.  How much more performance would I gain if I could run all 8 cores at 4.9 or 5 GHz?  Not a whole lot and that is assuming that 5 GHz is attainable with a K version.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

5 minutes ago, stans said:

The "K" is an unlocked CPU, allowing the user to potentially overclock it beyond 4.9 GHz.  This used to be a big deal, but with the modern crop of Intel CPU's, there seems to be very little extra gained with overclocking.  My current rig is a pre-built system with an I7-10700F, but it will run all of its cores at 4.6 GHz and if needed, it will run 4 cores at 4.6, the other 4 cores at 4.7.  How much more performance would I gain if I could run all 8 cores at 4.9 or 5 GHz?  Not a whole lot and that is assuming that 5 GHz is attainable with a K version.

That's what I figured but the poster above you says only one core for turbo. I can't really see that making much sense but I'm here to learn. 

ZORAN

4 hours ago, zmak said:

That's what I figured but the poster above you says only one core for turbo. I can't really see that making much sense but I'm here to learn. 

The turbo picks the cores that can best handle the increased clock frequency.  My particular I7-10700F will max out two cores at 4.8 GHz, while maintaining the remaining six at 4.6 GHz.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Don't forget that the 12000 series requires a new motherboard, probably a new power supply and a very beefy cooler. The 12900 uses 245 watts at full turbo according to Gamers Nexus.

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

2 hours ago, stans said:

The turbo picks the cores that can best handle the increased clock frequency.  My particular I7-10700F will max out two cores at 4.8 GHz, while maintaining the remaining six at 4.6 GHz.

Why didn't you go for the unlocked CPU? 

ZORAN

15 hours ago, zmak said:

Why didn't you go for the unlocked CPU? 

Because I bought a pre-built system, it's Newegg's in-house brand, and there were no options.  I prefer to build my own, but at the time it was impossible to get a video card and the only way to get a good flight sim computer to replace my old Windows XP computer was a pre-built.  Even if I had built my own, I just do not see where there is much overclocking potential in the 10th and 11th generation of Intel CPU's, so why waste money on a "K" CPU?

9 minutes ago, stans said:

Because I bought a pre-built system, it's Newegg's in-house brand, and there were no options.  I prefer to build my own, but at the time it was impossible to get a video card and the only way to get a good flight sim computer to replace my old Windows XP computer was a pre-built.  Even if I had built my own, I just do not see where there is much overclocking potential in the 10th and 11th generation of Intel CPU's, so why waste money on a "K" CPU?

Yes totally agree 

Bought the i5 11600 today as it perfectly suits my mix as a Netflix station and browsing the net and flight sim. The base clock is nice and LOW at 2.8 and turbo is 4.8 

Couldn't see the value in a  K unless one is a mad gamer wanting extreme OC 

Edited by zmak
  • Like 1

ZORAN

16 hours ago, pgde said:

Don't forget that the 12000 series requires a new motherboard, probably a new power supply and a very beefy cooler. The 12900 uses 245 watts at full turbo according to Gamers Nexus.

And the AMD 5950X pulls 253watts at OC 4.7 according to Gamers Nexus.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

56 minutes ago, zmak said:

Yes totally agree 

Bought the i5 11600 today as it perfectly suits my mix as a Netflix station and browsing the net and flight sim. The base clock is nice and LOW at 2.8 and turbo is 4.8 

Couldn't see the value in a  K unless one is a mad gamer wanting extreme OC 

Know what?  After many years of overclocking, I'm just fine with a fast CPU that does its own "overclocking" and is 100% stable with no input from me.  Years ago, it was worth overclocking, but with these new CPU's, not so much.

• Upvote 1