Sign in to follow this  
mjrhealth

Linux

Finally I managed to install the DoubleCommander ....... and I suddenly remember why I dumped Linux some years ago namely because of all that "command line stuff"  😉. It really works like the Total Commander on my Win7 and WIN10 PCs.

But certainly XP11 with the ToLiss A321 is running perfectly well on this "old" desktop, much better than expected and I am glad that I did kickout WIN10 and P3Dv5. Still have to get used to XP11 (even though I set the keyboard bindings to "FSX"), but all runs very smooth, even no problem when using IVAO and VATSIM. So far I never had a crash of XP11 or of Mint, all seems to be stable.

• Upvote 2

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

On 3/19/2022 at 2:06 PM, Yogipriester said:

Still have to get used to XP11 (even though I set the keyboard bindings to "FSX")

Get used to XP's default keybindings instead. It'll make things easier if you need to look something up on the internet.

Edited by Bjoern
  • Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

3 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Get used to XP's default keybindings instead. It'll make things easier if you need to look something up on the internet.

Indeed - that's what I also would suggest. There were already discussions years ago in the XP10 era, that people want to use FSX keyborad shortcuts, because they were (allegedly) easier. The only "easier" thing was/is that people were used to the FSX shortcuts.

Examples:

"Up": FSX: "SHIFT + ENTER". XP: "up".
"Down": FSX: "SHIFT + BACK". XP: "down"
"Left": FSX: "CTRL + SHIFT + BACK".  XP: "left"
"Right": FSX: "CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER". XP: "right"

And with others it's similar. After having learned the "new and unfamiliar" shortcuts, one will wonder why he didn't do it earlier.

• Like 2

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Now after about 4 months of using XP11 and Linux it is perhaps time to run some sort of conclusion about my different flight simulators:

In my 2nd home in Switzerland I run my "old" flight sim desktop, now with Linux Mint and XP11. Before, that PC was used as my regular flightsim PC with Win10 and P3Dv5.

I must admit that I enjoy more and more this setup, especially the ToLiss A321 and the free PushBack. Despite the outdated hardware it is very stable, fulfills my needs and works well on IVAO and VATSIM.

At my home in Germany I have the "main" flightsim PC (Win 10) with the latest hardware and with P3Dv5 as well as MSFS2020 installed. Virtually I only use P3Dv5 although I like the eye candy of MSFS2020. But I can not get warm with it, no way to do a "serious" online flight with an airline and proper flight planning and all that what goes with it. For me MSFS2020 is only good to have a visual flight around the neighbourhood and enjoy the details of my countryside.

So virtually only P3Dv5 is left for "serious simming" and I catch myself comparing it with my XP11 installation in Switzerland. P3Dv5 now works flawless for me and I am familar with the 3 aircraft I mainly fly (Aerosft A320, Flightsim Lab A320, as well as the Majestic Dash8). But I miss a bit the excitement of XP11, P3Dv5 is just there, works fine and acts a bit like an old friend that perhaps is a bit boring but nice to have around.

Lately I have started to think/dream about XP12 and converting my main flightsim PC to Linux and XP12 or at least for the beginning, think about a dual system with Win10 and P3Dv5 like now and then Linux with XP12

• Like 1

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

Thank you for your very interesting feedback Jurgen !

Looking fwd into XP12, using FS 2020 with the Fenix A320 and the PMDG 737-700 and very satisfied with both.

I intend to upgrade my Toliss A319 for XP12 as soon as the developer offers that upgrade option.

Also have the FSLabs A319 and 320, but it's been quite a while since I last uninstalled P3D...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well, XP12 on my "regular" flightsimulation PC (on a Linux Mint partition, Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900 XT) is a desaster when it comes to Toliss A321.

Permanent CTD or if finally succeding to load the bird, only flickering of all  panels

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

3 hours ago, Yogipriester said:

Well, XP12 on my "regular" flightsimulation PC (on a Linux Mint partition, Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900 XT) is a desaster when it comes to Toliss A321.

Permanent CTD or if finally succeding to load the bird, only flickering of all  panels

The "make plugins draw stuff correctly on AMD" thingy within X-Plane 12 is still work in progress.

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days