Sign in to follow this  
David27

Recommendation a Joystick for MSFS

Another Gunfighter user here. V3 paired with the Kosmosima Pro grip and it's a great controller but appreciate it's above the Op's budget. 

• Like 2

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:36 PM, David27 said:

Wow, I didn’t want to start a debate, was not the purpose.

After all your suggestion my variants are the Thrustmaster flight pack, or Thrustmaster TCA Airbus with TFRP rudder pedals separates. The VKB Gladiator stick is very interesting, but unfortunate I can’t find a stock which would ship in my country. Thrustmaster warthog is a very good stick which I want it for long time, but unfortunate I can’t afford it for moment. Maybe in future I will make an other upgrade and I will consider it.The other very interesting option is Honeycomb Yoke which have same problem as the VKB stick. No stock or very expensive at least for what I found. So after all, I want to buy maxim for my budget, the best option are the two Thrustmaster. For now I wait for black friday which is Friday this week  to see if appear a good sale. If then is no good sale, probably I will go for Thrustmaster flight pack.

Thank you all for your suggestion and information, was very helpful for me.

Good luck!  Hope you find a great deal!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Just to clarify,  the Gunfighter MKIII is the expensive one,    the NXT is only $120 in my country.    Just wanted to make sure you didn't mistake the two.

Apparently I was wrong, I didn't pay enough attention. The VKB with 491$, was from a strange website, so I payed more attention and on their website the standard NXT, with shipping tax is 152 euros which is more affordable. For now I really take it in consideration and I consider to pair it with a rudder pedal at least and if remain in budget a separate throttle. The throttle quadrant from their website seem nice and have good price. The only downside after I looked on youtube reviews is that don't have so much configurable buttons. But with a throttle which have configurable buttons the problem would be solved.  As question, is worth the money difference between standard and premium stick? 

I don't own a gladiator so I can't answer with personal experience.  I own a gunfighter.   Here's what R/hotas shows,

Looks like the Premium comes with 10lb and 30lb springs (guessing 20lb is default),   the option to switch out the lower push button for a hat switch,  and the top of the premium has an analog ministick with center push button instead of a hat switch.   Oh, and it looks like the premium might have an additional trigger.

At least I think that's what the trigger part is talking about,  because my gunfighter has two triggers.    Actually,   a second trigger would be very useful for something like brakes if it has one.

Edited by Waldo Pepper

I have the Kosmosima Premium stick which is the same as the one on the Gladiator on the right above. The mini stick actually switches between the mini joystick mode and an 8 way hat by pushing it’s central button. This adds move available controls on stick at a click of a button and in my opinion is worth the additional extra over the normal stick. That along with the left side hat switch in place of a single button and the additional 2 way trigger means the premium offers an additional 14 buttons over the regular stick. 

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

11 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

I don't own a gladiator so I can't answer with personal experience.  I own a gunfighter.   Here's what R/hotas shows,

Looks like the Premium comes with 10lb and 30lb springs (guessing 20lb is default),   the option to switch out the lower push button for a hat switch,  and the top of the premium has an analog ministick with center push button instead of a hat switch.   Oh, and it looks like the premium might have an additional trigger.

At least I think that's what the trigger part is talking about,  because my gunfighter has two triggers.    Actually,   a second trigger would be very useful for something like brakes if it has one.

The brakes solution would be the rudder pedals. I looked for a Thrustmaster TFRP rudder pedal and I found it with the adapter for usb connection which is perfect. With this rudder and with the stick I'm on the budget. Thank you for response. 

4 minutes ago, Donka said:

I have the Kosmosima Premium stick which is the same as the one on the Gladiator on the right above. The mini stick actually switches between the mini joystick mode and an 8 way hat by pushing it’s central button. This adds move available controls on stick at a click of a button and in my opinion is worth the additional extra over the normal stick. That along with the left side hat switch in place of a single button and the additional 2 way trigger means the premium offers an additional 14 buttons over the regular stick. 

Thank you for clarification. For moment the Premium stick is out of stock at least for Europe, so I will wait to see if the stock will be supplied and I will take a decision these days.

Logitech's USB throttle quadrant is around $60 USD in the US.  I have one which I use for pitch/mixture/speed brakes.   It also has 3 rocker switches on the bottom too.   Good bang for the buck,  works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Pro-Flight-Throttle-Quadrant/dp/B01M00UHE3

One good thing,  you can use the rotaries in the NXT base as throttles until you get one.

Or, if you find you want to have a quality stick but don't mind paying a premium:

Virpil https://virpil-controls.eu/shop/flightsticks.html

You need a stick and a base.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If it was me, I would jump on the Warthog stick and throttle HOTAS available at Amazon International, located in the UK. $490.47 (USDollars). Free shipping. One of the best (it happens to be what I use).

You have to ignore the main price and then click on "New and Used..." to see the New HOTAS set for $490.47 in the UK.

https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960720-Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog/dp/B00371R8P4/

Or, alternately, the list shows: $549.99 from a seller in America, to American buyers (seller is Amazon.com, shipper is Amazon.com), so it's all backed by Amazon's easy customer service. But the OP is not in America.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

As many others have mentioned, the Gladiator NXT is FANTASTIC. I used one for about a year, but just recently upgraded to a WinWing Orion replica F-18 stick. If you're willing to spend the money, that thing is INSANE nice. ALSO - if anybody is interested, I'm looking to get my old NXT re-homed. Message me if you're interested. 

Former Child, Current Adult

I had been using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for years, changing momentary switches and carrying out repairs over the years... My sons decided they had seen enough of me doing repairs, and bought me the Thrustmaster Flight Pack as birthday present...  What a great product... works prefectly on MSFS, P3D and Xplane, with minimal intervention...  Owning a 3D printer, I also upgraded the sliding mechanism for the TCA throttle, and now it is smooth, with a couple of throttle detents...  The T16000 is so smooth and the rudder pedals are lovely...

Would definitely recommend this setup...

Funny thing is I still repaired the other joystick, better than new....  I had the same mouse for 20 years, also repaired a number of times... being left handed, this mouse I am used to...  Trained myself to fly right handed, so the throttle is perfect in my left hand....

• Like 1

Faisal Niazi

There's probably a good use for a trackball, but they are not sold much anymore.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Oops, I guess lots of them are still made, Kensington, Logitech have several.

Would be interested to know if anyone uses a trackball in MSFS2020 actually. Could be useful for views.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:36 PM, David27 said:

The VKB Gladiator stick is very interesting, but unfortunate I can’t find a stock which would ship in my country

Where are you located, David? I got my Gladiator NXT Premium from the VKB store at AliExpress. A bit expensive, but worth the price. Now I'm waiting the throttles to arrive here.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.