Sign in to follow this  
flying_w

Which panel technology for MSFS?

I'm wrestling with the choices for a new monitor, including the panel techology around OLED, VA and IPS.  I like both day and night flighing (the latter ideally in a dark room). The other day I dragged the PC downstairs to try out on my LG OLED in the living room, and the quality of display in both day and night scenarios was just fantastic.  However I normally sit at a desk for MSFS in a smaller room, and even a 48" OLED would be way too big at less than 2ft away from me.  Smaller OLEDS are comming like 42", but my ideal OLED monitor say a 35" ultrawide is just not out there and may not be any time soon.

So that brings me to IPS v. VA.  I use IPS daily for work, and the color abd brightness are excellent.  However look at a dark picture, and you can soon see the IPS glow washing out the blackness at the edges in particular.  While I think IPS would be great for daytime flying, I think nighttime the glow might be a distraction.  VA on the other hand I've no experience of.  It sounds like night time might be good because VA tends to have better contrast than IPS, but is backlight leaking still a problem at the edges on VA?  Further, VA can suffer from black smearing of objects, what does that look like in MSFS?

I would welcome any experiences and recommendations.  Now is the time, deals are rolling in for the run up to Black Friday let alone the day itself.

Many thanks
Simon

After using my 25" 1080p 60hz monitor for years, I tried out a 27" 1440p IPS monitor and found that the IPS glow was pretty bad compared to my old monitor with just its backlight bleed. The glow was so bad that it really interfered with flying at night with FSX. I returned it. That was the spring.

Last week I got the same monitor, but it's a TN panel. Hardly any glow on it and just a little bit of blacklight bleed on one side. A big difference from the IPS monitor. IPS may have better colors, but the glow really killed it for me. I like my TN panel and after playing around with the settings, I finally got the colors I consider nice.