Sign in to follow this  
Guest rmce

Correct 2d Panel Zoom Level

Guest SimDog

Does anyone know the correct zoom setting for the 2d panel? If not an exact number, maybe a number range.I have no real idea but I'm guessing at .70? Has anyone actually sat in a plane on a runway and tried to match the real view with what is seen in FSX?I wouldn't think the aircraft type would be critcal. The field of view from a C172 should be the same for larger aircraft also.Thanks,SD

Guest allcott

Without multiple monitors you cannot representthe true field of view a pilot sees. The 0.70 is about the best compromise for all-round use, with a single monitor, but it does leave the ground looking a little far away and disconnected. 1.00 is much better, but it feels like you've got the blinkers on.So I guess it all comes down to what you prefer, and what sort of setup you're running. With a modern widescreen monitor the zoom might need to be different again. Allcott

Guest X15

I don't use the 2d panel in FSX. However I do set the VC to approximate the view in my training aircraft, which when looking straight ahead is dominated by the cowl and outside horizon. This has worked well for both the C172 and an add-on Cherokee.I have it set-up so that I can't actually see all the instruments in my default view. That way I'm looking out like I should be. The instruments are viewed by 'looking' down using my hat switch on a CH yoke. This best replicates my real world experience. If I get around to it I'll post some pictures showing some real world views and FSX views. Everyone gets a different view in any given aircraft, it depends how you adjust the seat in the real plane and your height, but it can be replicated in the VC in FSX quite accurately. (edit)Here is a straight ahead view for a C172. I usually can see the nose in flight though, but it may help with your setting up of the 2D view.169684.jpg

>Does anyone know the correct zoom setting for the 2d panel? >If not an exact number, maybe a number range.>>I have no real idea but I'm guessing at .70? Has anyone>actually sat in a plane on a runway and tried to match the>real view with what is seen in FSX?>>I wouldn't think the aircraft type would be critcal. The>field of view from a C172 should be the same for larger>aircraft also.>>Thanks,>>SD It's personal choice. I use '.50'.

Guest SimDog

Thanks for the replies guys.X15, that real pic is exactly what I mean. Now, not knowing which airport it is, could you place the FSX C172 in the same location and try to match the field of view? I would suspect an airport runway with more visual cues would be easier to match with FSX.As an anology, I was thinking about a window and the limited field of view you see at different distances from the window. At 10 feet from the window, the view is very limited but as you move closer, the field of view increases. Sort of like what happens with a zoom key press.Regards,SD

Guest X15

The nearest is a zoom of 1.0 in the 2D panel. But it looks like your sat on the floor of the plane with no seat - the view is overly restricted by the panel in my opinion. The VC works much better in FSX I find.

Guest rmce

Good thread!I have always accepted 1.00 as the default 2D view. However, starting to think a bit more about it in FSX.I wonder what folks think of the wing view zoom factor.I have it at 70%, but was in a real 737 last week at passenger seat just behind wing, and took some digital photographs to try and match what I was seeing in real life to sim!Of course its not as easy as it sounds, when I try and factor in lense setting (around 28-35mm) I was using.I find the numeric key pad excellent in panning around wing view, just as we do in the real world with our eyes.I have always been a 2D user, but with FSX and my dual core + 19" wide screen I am now finding 3D better at take off and landings, again using key pad as eye panning to instruments.Having essential readouts on top of VDU screens allows just enough info to monitor course/speed and distance in 3D while seeing runway.What happeend to Shift + Enter? Raising seat? This is not happening now.Interesting to read what others set their zooms at.regards,

>>What happeend to Shift + Enter? Raising seat? This is not>happening now.CTRL+Q = raise seatCTRL+SHIFT+Q = lower seatRemember to keep keys de-pressed.Hope it helpsRegardsRobert-------------------------------------Asus A8N-VMAMD Athlon 64 3000+XFX Nvidia Geforce 6800 XT PCI-E [256]2Gb DDR400 RAMCH products Yoke and USB Pedals

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

Guest rmce

Robert,Thanks.I knew that, but I did not think it did the same as raising seat! It just feels different.Must be my imagination.