Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Why do they make it so hard? Alpha India Group

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

If you find AIG "horrible" I clearly have to doubt your taste.

I never said it was horrible. You see, this is the problem with expressing an opinion on the internet. People like yourselves who interpret things / imagine things / all because they can’t engage in open debate and accept that someone else may have a different opinion. And that doesn’t just apply to you either. 

Oh and ‘doubting my taste’ is perfectly fine, because not everyone likes the same thing. That would be boring wouldn’t it?

PS here is paragraph from my original comment, that you clearly missed:-

PS, I am not having a go, great addon, I am just  expressing my genuine opinion. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

8 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

I don't understand this sign-up/email gating ... and I especially don't understand people on here defending this as "if you don't like free software, don't use it!".

Exactly, just because it’s free doesn’t mean it can’t be criticised. It wouldn’t get better if people didn’t criticise. It isn’t offensive, it’s debate. Something that some people in here, and on the internet in general, struggle with. 

• Like 1

Constructive criticism is best, even if the product is free.

• Like 3

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

41 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

Why can't we (and by we, I mean me included, I'm a software engineer with a aeronautical background) do something like this out in the open?

This is 2021, the vast majority of "free" software is on GitHub and can be contributed to by anyone who is willing to take a stab at it.  Look at Working Title.

https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages

I don't understand this sign-up/email gating ... and I especially don't understand people on here defending this as "if you don't like free software, don't use it!".

That's fine, except there are better ways to develop free software.

Perhaps in my free time I should look into this.

It's because of licensing and permissions that have been given to AIG. They're not allowed to just give out the models and textures straight out.

The files you need to download manually are files that AIG doesn't have permission to upload to their own servers.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

It's because of licensing and permissions that have been given to AIG. They're not allowed to just give out the models and textures straight out.

The files you need to download manually are files that AIG doesn't have permission to upload to their own servers.

Fair enough, but I wish more free FS2020 projects were developed out in the open.  If you have no plans to monetize anything, why not throw the code up on Github and let everyone take a stab at it?

You can reject any incoming pull requests if you don't like them, and I'm sure these licensing can be mitigated somehow.  Require a propriety binary in the package that has a separate license. 

It worked for Working Title, they ended up getting hired by Asobo!

Edited by Gulfstream

I am in PHNL and I don;t see any Hawaii  Airlines. I see more United Airlines. I checked, I have downloaded Hawaii Liveries. And the United thats trying to take off is Spinning in its own axis!

edited

AH Ha When there ia another Airlines , then it spins when I move the airlines then its ok.

Edited by Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

8 minutes ago, Manny said:

I am in PHNL and I don;t see any Hawaii  Airlines. I see more United Airlines. I checked, I have downloaded Hawaii Liveries. 

I think Hawaiian currently flies A330, 717 and A321neo.  A330 and 717 models are currently not included (not sure about A321neo)

• Like 2

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

23 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I never said it was horrible. You see, this is the problem with expressing an opinion on the internet. People like yourselves who interpret things / imagine things / all because they can’t engage in open debate and accept that someone else may have a different opinion. And that doesn’t just apply to you either. 

Oh and ‘doubting my taste’ is perfectly fine, because not everyone likes the same thing. That would be boring wouldn’t it?

PS here is paragraph from my original comment, that you clearly missed:-

PS, I am not having a go, great addon, I am just  expressing my genuine opinion. 

I certainly do accept that your opinion varies, it's just that your analogy spoke of "terrible"; if you didn't mean that for AIG, your analogy was therefore unnecessary. More than that however I was only making a joke reusing the word "taste" of your analogy, obviously that didn't come across, so I apologize. I think we can agree on the ambivalent aspect of internet communications.
And I think we can agree that constructive criticism is fine and makes sense, even for freeware. Some people, however, seem to use a tone that is more adapted to the classic "buyer is unhappy because product doesn't work as he wants it do / is too complicated to understand / etc. etc.", which is certainly a wrong attitude for a freeware product.