Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Which Version To Go For?

I took Ultimate if only for the dreamliner. Every single default aircraft in MSFS visually matches the best payware aircraft before. To a degree, that equally good looking aircraft addons are appearing only slowly. In the freeware area, there is imho not one MSFS aircraft addon so far, that matches the visuals of the default aircrafts. So you will appreciate the larger hangar, that comes with Ultimate. And the added price/aircraft is hardly worth the discussion...

I would go for the standard.

Bought the Aerosoft disks, but install through the net. I don't even push all of the region updates - waiting for something covering Portugal & Spain in detail 🙂

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

12 hours ago, vc10man said:

If I go the 10 CDs route, is it still possible to get all the latest Updates

I be  in trouble  going  for the  disk option  since  i havnt  got  a disk  drive  on my  pc 🙂

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

3 hours ago, jimcarrel said:

You can do the disc deal, but what's the point (I guess you can save them and hope they become collector's items) You could wait till after this coming thursday then just do the download.

The 18th is when the next patch comes out. Premium would be the only way you can get the 172 with steam gauges, rather than "glass".

Thanks for that advice

3 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Same here and don’t regret my choice. I wouldn’t have flown the premium or deluxe default aircraft anyway and the enhanced airports as nice as they are, are still inferior to payware or even to some freeware. 

Don’t go the CD route. They carry the initial version meaning you still have to do several huge updates anyway. Wait for the last version released coming Thursday.

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The disc versions are more trouble than they are worth.

With the premium version - personally I fly the Beech Baron, the Cirrus SR22, Steam gauge Cessna 172, Cessna Longitude and the Pipistrel Virus (under-rated gem of a plane for sight seeing)  a lot so well worth it for me.

Again, thanks for that salient advice. Noted. Glad I asked before pulling the trigger at Amazon for those 10 discs.

Well, the disk version is actually no problem for me. I created an ISO of disk 1, and then I mount it, and whenever I have to reinstall MFS I do it from xBox app or the Store, it asks for Disk1, and the rest of the install is direct from the internet.

It was nice to get the box, as a stone marker in the history of Flight Simulator 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Hey Rick.

Great to see you again.🙂 I'am sure you will really enjoy MSFS. Its like nothing we have had before. Enjoy Rick 🙂

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

57 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Well, the disk version is actually no problem for me. I created an ISO of disk 1, and then I mount it, and whenever I have to reinstall MFS I do it from xBox app or the Store, it asks for Disk1, and the rest of the install is direct from the internet. 

How many GB is what you call "the rest of the install " ? The disks are v1.0 and we are, after 6 SU, at 1.20.6. As far as I know the updates are not cumulative, It seems to me more logical to download the November 18th full version  straightaway 

PS I have a weak 4G connection and I install the sim once and for all as most of us and... I am not a fetichist 😅 

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

Thanks for that advice

Again, thanks for that salient advice. Noted. Glad I asked before pulling the trigger at Amazon for those 10 discs.

Another advice. Go for the Steam version. Many people will tell you that the MS Store version is perfect and they never had any problem with it. Maybe so...  I observe however  that with each update, a lot of users come  to the forums with nasty problems to access the update and it is always with the MS Store version. We don't see anybody with the Steam version complaining of anything.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

38 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

How many GB is what you call "the rest of the install " ?

I'd say around 90GB, because I never install the World Updates as well as any additional liveries for the default aircraft.

I have only the PMDG DCS, Carenado Seminole and FlyInside Bell 47 G, no add-on sceneries...

Looking at the "Data usage" report on win 10 Eth0 I see around 30+ GB actually downloaded, so, I assume the reported 90+ GB that end up occupying around 120 GB, have most of their content compressed, and additional content generated locally ( ? )

Main Simulation Rig:

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Hey Rick.

Great to see you again.🙂 I'am sure you will really enjoy MSFS. Its like nothing we have had before. Enjoy Rick 🙂

Many, many Thanks, Dave. Much appreciated,and good to be taking the first steps back after my hiatus. May come seeking advice from you re:the install, separate hard drive location, etc, etc.

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

How many GB is what you call "the rest of the install " ? The disks are v1.0 and we are, after 6 SU, at 1.20.6. As far as I know the updates are not cumulative, It seems to me more logical to download the November 18th full version  straightaway 

PS I have a weak 4G connection and I install the sim once and for all as most of us and... I am not a fetichist 😅 

Another advice. Go for the Steam version. Many people will tell you that the MS Store version is perfect and they never had any problem with it. Maybe so...  I observe however  that with each update, a lot of users come  to the forums with nasty problems to access the update and it is always with the MS Store version. We don't see anybody with the Steam version complaining of anything.

Was thinking along the same lines too, Steam. So, reading your last post, would a SanDisk 1Tb drive do for its download and install?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

. We don't see anybody with the Steam version complaining of anything.

Not entirely true, the odd person has issues with Steam. It is not perfect.

However there are definitely more people have issues with the MS version than the Steam version.

I ditched the Store version and bought it again on Steam. Not even being able to have free access to the .exe to use stuff like ReShade is a joke. Also went with the standard version. Most of the premium and deluxe planes are encrypted, plus by the nature of them being exclusive to those versions, have less community interest, thus little to no community modifications. The default planes have already seen major overhauls by a lot of developers.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

Many, many Thanks, Dave. Much appreciated,and good to be taking the first steps back after my hiatus. May come seeking advice from you re:the install, separate hard drive location, etc, etc.

Was thinking along the same lines too, Steam. So, reading your last post, would a SanDisk 1Tb drive do for its download and install?

I have MSFS on its own M.2 1TB, Ive only use 296 GB.

You will fine the camara view very odd to use at first , I like many hated it, but once you get use to it and learn how to make your own custom views its great.

I surgest you make your first flight from your local airport and go fly over your house. Then have a good look round the area you know well. I would love to see your face as you take your first flight in MSFS. It really does blow you away. Enjoy my Friend, Enjoy! 🙂

This sim never stops making me smile, I just flow into LEVC for the first time in any sim and this was the scene on approch.

Flight-Simulator-vne-Xg4-Icq9.png

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

5 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I have MSFS on its own M.2 1TB, Ive only use 296 GB.

You will fine the camara view very odd to use at first , I like many hated it, but once you get use to it and learn how to make your own custom views its great.

I surgest you make your first flight from your local airport and go fly over your house. Then have a good look round the area you know well. I would love to see your face as you take your first flight in MSFS. It really does blow you away. Enjoy my Friend, Enjoy! 🙂

This sim never stops making me smile, I just flow into LEVC for the first time in any sim and this was the scene on approch.

Flight-Simulator-vne-Xg4-Icq9.png

Thanks a lot, Dave. Was thinking of adding another M.2 NVme 2Tb to my Asus ROG Maximus Hero XI MoBo. Just waiting to pull the trigger when the Black Friday sales commence.

Great shot there to highlight.