Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

ifly 737 NG for MSFS

30 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

details of the licensing/agreement history between Boeing and PMDG, can you elaborate what exactly that was about? i.e. practically speaking, how is PMDG advantaged vs other devs when it comes to Boeing aircrafts given whatever agreement they have with each other?

Probably a lot of marketing hype. I mean, did ifly have a similar arrangement with Boeing? The ifly jets were very good. 

I read somewhere that once iFly finished the Prepar3d 737-MAX they would look into developing the 737-MAX for MSFS. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

6 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Probably a lot of marketing hype. I mean, did ifly have a similar arrangement with Boeing? The ifly jets were very good. 

Not entirely sure about that, other devs have said/hinted at similar arrangements, the one that instantly springs to mind is the Flight1 Mustang.... 

But a quick trawl shows FSLABS & QualityWings are "Officially Licensed" as well - guessing it probably means as little as "We won't sue you for making a copy of our aircraft for the simulator"...

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

IFly is interesting developer, imho didn't receive much credit it deserves. 

In P3D we have two 737 - PMDG and iFly. Somehow back in the day if someone asks which 737 should buy, 95% of responses was: only PMDG. But the truth is, of course, PMDG is overall better product but I would say iFly offers 80-85% of PMDG features, and in certain areas iFly is better. 

Its interesting in comparison for the A320 developer in P3D - FSLabs and Aerosoft. In this case (in comparison to 737 debate) when you ask which A320 to buy, majority of responses were: "If you are casual, get A320 and if you would like study level, buy FS Labs" - but in reality Aerosoft offers like 50-60% of what FS Labs offers

The point is in Flight Sim community it seems that iFly is much worse product vs PMDG 737 and the second one is the one you should buy (see comment regarding A320) - its strange.

Taking above into account iFly would have huge opportunity to be present on MSFS market with Max before PMDG (as well as iFly could release the whole 737 NG family before PMDG, so they will take advantage of "be the first". I do not understand why they are focusing in P3D to be honest...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, ark4diusz said:

The point is in Flight Sim community it seems that iFly is much worse product vs PMDG 737 and the second one is the one you should buy (see comment regarding A320) - its strange.

It’s confirmation bias. PMDG customers spent a good sum of $$$ on their virtual planes so it HAS to be the best. 

On 6/6/2022 at 5:31 PM, Ricardo41 said:

PMDG reached their peak in FS9, then rested on their laurels and recycled....and recycled....and recycled.

That's right, but still they offer the best Boeing products from all. After 15 years there is still no competition (and definitely not iFly, sorry), so what would you do as a company when there's no competition even remotely in sight? Use your monopoly as long as it lasts I guess.
We absolutely need someone Fenix-like challenging the market leader for the Boeing, but I doubt this will ever happen due to the sheer amount of challenge.

18 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

It’s confirmation bias. PMDG customers spent a good sum of $$$ on their virtual planes so it HAS to be the best. 

Confirmation bias does not make the assumption automatically wrong.

Agreed, however there is an element of psychology involved. It’s also subjective for each user. 

Personally, I disagree with your opinion that iFly isn’t competition for PMDG. It’s an excellent plane that does things PMDG can’t (RF legs). And it’s ok that we disagree. 

1 hour ago, ark4diusz said:

IFly is interesting developer, imho didn't receive much credit it deserves.

True. As you said, iFly's 737 add-on is much closer to market leader PMDG's, than Aerosoft's A320 add-on is to FSL's. Cheaper too.
There ought to be a bit more appreciation for their efforts.

As to why they continue developing for P3D, this is from the moderator / 'project manager' on their forum:

iFly Developer team does not focus only on the entertainment market. They are heavily involved in commercial market with Maintenance and Touchscreen product lines, and for that only Prepar3D may be used in commercial environments.

Commercial sales is where the significant money is. It will (hopefully) give them a significant cash buffer to take on the expensive development phase of a new product for a new platform.
That, plus the continually evolving nature of MSFS, has apparently led to them prioritising P3D.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

50 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

Personally, I disagree with your opinion that iFly isn’t competition for PMDG. It’s an excellent plane that does things PMDG can’t (RF legs). And it’s ok that we disagree. 

I agree with you, he is probably referring to the older 737, as the newer 737 advanced made for P3Dv5 is absolutely an amazing aircraft.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

4 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

I agree with you, he is probably referring to the older 737, as the newer 737 advanced made for P3Dv5 is absolutely an amazing aircraft.

I am referring to the ifly for P3Dv5. It's on Aerosoft level, sorry to be that harsh. PMDG has its problems like LNAV and cockpit textures on P3Dv5, but the ifly 737 lacks system modelling and other stuff in so many areas that it feels blant flying it when you know the PMDG 737. It was like flying the Aerosoft A320 after flying the FSL A320.
This is no offense to ifly, it's just my expectations of a study level 737.

Edited by Fiorentoni

16 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

I am referring to the ifly for P3Dv5. It's on Aerosoft level, sorry to be that harsh. PMDG has its problems like LNAV and cockpit textures on P3Dv5, but the ifly 737 lacks system modelling and other stuff in so many areas that it feels blant flying it when you know the PMDG 737. It was like flying the Aerosoft A320 after flying the FSL A320.
This is no offense to ifly, it's just my expectations of a study level 737.

Yeah, I agree, however iFly 737 is much more polished product than Aerosoft A320 (in comparison to the PMDG and FS Labs) 

1 hour ago, Greggy_D said:

Agreed, however there is an element of psychology involved. It’s also subjective for each user. 

Certainly felt like it was a competitor when I was choosing between that and the NGX. That said if they're staying with p3d and PMDG are going whole hog MSFS then they're in different markets for the foreseeable future.

G

• Upvote 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

That's right, but still they offer the best Boeing products from all. After 15 years there is still no competition (and definitely not iFly, sorry), so what would you do as a company when there's no competition even remotely in sight? Use your monopoly as long as it lasts I guess.
We absolutely need someone Fenix-like challenging the market leader for the Boeing, but I doubt this will ever happen due to the sheer amount of challenge.

I disagree, the ifly version is $ for $ the much better value. --> what is it you find lacking in the ifly version?

• Upvote 1

I’m curious to know this as well…

If the product is approved for real world training of engineers and pilots I find it strange to read that @Fiorentoni finds the systems modelling insufficient?!

Regards

• Upvote 1

Download my repaints at AVSIM.

AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 - MSI Geforce 7600GT 256Mb - 2 x 1Gb OCz DDR Ram - Western Digital 250Gb - MSI K8N NEO4 FI - Windows XP SP2 - FS2004