Sign in to follow this  
slashed2

"Venerable Flight Simulator"

well, except that a Service Pack fixes problems (bugs, performance, data errors, etc) while an Upgrade/Update adds abilities (ie DX10 support) :->

>I'd call the DX10 Update, ** SP2 **>>That's consistent nomenclature for Microsoft in general,>anyway, right? :)>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD>250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case:-beerchug As long as it fixes those "DT's" I for one will be more than happy. I know pilots like their tipple or two, but to write the after-effects into a simulator is a bit rich, don't you think? :-cool

Guest JohnPaulJones

Excellent news! =)

Phil:When you and your team first started discussing Service Packs and Patches. What was conveyed was the following:1 - A performance "patch" would be forthcoming (enter the forthcoming SP1).2 - The performance patch would not specifically address multicore issues, nor DX10 compatibility. (read, two more patches = 3 total?)3 - Multicore would be looked at and if feasible it would be a future amendum. (No promises on multicore were made)4 - DX-10 would be a separate "patch".Now, I've been known to be insane and if I dreamed all this, it would not be the first time. However, if you say that multicore and performance fixes were always hand-in-hand planned as one patch...my mistake, I must have been thinking of something else.But, it would be quite surprising that many were surprised that multicore support was such an integral part of SP1, including myself.Am I off base here???

I'll admit I was cagey about what would be in the performance release. We did plan to get multi-core in, but it came in very late. So it wasnt something we felt comfortable even hinting at.But if I conveyed there would be a 2nd performance patch to add that, I did wrong. Sorry about that.

Here's something from Phil's blog back in November, note Path one seems to be the performance issues which devloped into SP1:Once you are on the glide path it is a very risky decision to change the architecture underneath the product. For better or worse, we decided to not do that and ship the product. With that said, we are listening to the community. 5 ) Aces DX10 Update PlanWe are following two paths: Path 1An investigation is under way to understand if we can do something that is:1) targeted and isn

No worries Phil, and no apologies are necessary!!! You guys have accomplished a great deal in a short amount of time.

Phil...Thanks for the great news about multicores being used more with this upcoming patch...I still have one question, and since I've been away for a bit I haven't heard anything new about it either, so I'd like to ask if there is any news regarding the possible future use of multiple SLI graphics boards...All my other games that use both of my NVIDIA 7800GTX's in SLI just scream, but as we all know FSX doesn't access the SLI abilities...Just curious if you are able to comment on FSXSLI down the road...For now though I'm just happy I'll finally be able to wake up my other 3 processors to assist FSX... CPU-0 has had his hands full... ha.Thanks for all your efforts...Server Workstation Vista Ultimate 64 bit OSTyan Thunder S2895 Mobo 4: AMD Dual-Core 270 Opteron processors 2: Asus 7800 GTX 512mb SLI Mode Graphics Boards 8gb SDRAM 4200 3: Western Digital 250gb SATA-2 drives for backup and Win XP Pro 641: Western Digital 500gb SATA-2 drive for main Vista Ultimate 64 OS21" Viewsonic Creative Audigy 7.1 Surround Sound