Sign in to follow this  
Guest dandan2005

Myrtle Avenue questions

Hi.I have found some cheap tickets to London on Nation Expressso as I have nothing else to do I thought I might take a tripdown to LHR for some spotting as well as a look around London.Is Myrtle Avenue the best place for spotting at LHR when the 27runways are in use? I have heard a lot of people rave about it and it sounds like it might be fairly easy to get to by bus, is that right? If its at the end of a residential street in suberban London is it safe to stand around on your own there? Friends say that you can easily get attacked in these areas, lots of dodgy peole around. Is this the case at Myrtle Av? I plane on going at a weekend so I guess there may be other peole there?Is the visitors centre any good for spotting?Thanks for any comments.Andy S

I'm not sure about Myrtle Av. (don't know where it is lol) but when I've been, I go to Hutton Cross station and there is a green where some spotters go for 27L. I've also walked around past the maintenance area to the fence near the end of RWY 27R. Had to get my camera above the fence screen, but that was fun. I continued around the perimeter and there is a small mound outside the renaissance hotel i think which can give a nice view of 27R/north side ops.Lastly I've also been on top of the car parks in the central area, however I hear that security don't like this and move people on. I've never seen them or been asked, but things may have changed since I was last there.Hope this helps a bit, and hope you have a good day :-)

Alaister Kay

Alaister I think the green you mention might be Myrtle Av, but I'm not sure :-hmmm Have to check that out.I might just take an A-Z map and see what I can find! I heard buses were free anround the airport so that might help.CheersAndy S

Guest dandan2005

nah that green is across the perimeter road, you'll have to be careful though, last time I was there, there was rogue horses roaming free ! ;)