Sign in to follow this  
Carabou

Interesting FSX SP1 Quote At TG Daily

Guest SimDog

"According to Intel, the service pack 1 for Microsoft

Guest nigel28

in the immortal words of Jay from Jay and silent Bob...."snoogins"

Anyone care to elaborate on the quoted phrase "And greater visual complexity during flight"? I rather thought visual complexity was dictated by the settings sliders, or is this marketing talk for "You can turn the sliders up and keep the same performance".:-hmmm

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest X15

This news just made my day :0)

1.> Can you turn the sliders up and keep the same performance?2.> Yes3.> This news just made my day :0)Note they didn't say HOW FAR. :)

Well, this is pleasing news for many people; but as I still have a 3.2 P4 I sure hope I'm still going to see that 20% or so improvement!

Ken

While its hard to categorize the gains across such hugely varied configs, we generally expect flyers to see an FPS gain - enough to either fly at higher FPS or to get a 1 or 2 tick-to-the-right on the sliders with the same FPS.Thats still not going to be all to the right just from SP1, but we will now scale much better as CPUs increase in Ghz and number of cores.

Yes, see my thread about blogging on this, I dont want to keep repeating myself. :-)

This really is fantastic news! Phil, I really do have to ask the $50k question here and say if it only took you 3 months of work to add this level of multi-core performance enhancement to the sim then why didn't you just release it this way and delay the release until january with vista? Makes you wonder...Great job in getting the job done in the end even if it wasn't for the game's release.

More like 6 months, given we started in Nov. And lets be clear, we enabled some subsystems to use threads. Good wins, yes. But its not a top-bottom rewrite for the entire engine. I'd rather not play Monday morning quarterback, and instead look forward. As I stated in Nov to the community, we are listening and are trying to do the right thing.

Phil, I think it is also true to say that a lot of this work has been being done over the last year or more. Unfortunately, it either wasn't finished in time to make code freeze cutoff, other work had a higher priority for various reasons, or during planning there was a lower confidence that the work would be finished in time for code freeze so it was not pursued at the time. Combined, of course, with, as you 've mentioned before, that in 2005 the multi-core "explosion" wasn't fully anticipated.Is this true?For instance, Adam spoke with me at the Avsim conference about work that he had been doing all along that was backed out because of unanticipated issues and that it couldn't be finished in time to make the cutoff.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg