I need some advice on monitors/TV for my flight sim, P3d Ver 4.5...I need to replace my old monitor (Is smoke coming out the back bad?) I would really like a larger screen size and am torn between a 32" monitor and a 40" TV...Just wondering what the resolution would look like...I know a lot of folks use huge screens but I can't afford that and wouldn't have anywhere to put it anyway...Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated! Thanks a lot!

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

A 40" HD TV would be fine for you and less expensive than a 32"monitor

I have been using a HD for a long time with P3d 4.5 and in fact - I am currently

using a 50" with no probs with V5 as well as MS2020

I stress that it is an HD -ie 1080 - but I notice that you are in the States and use 

a different system to our PAL 

Monitor!!! By a long shot.

I went from a 50inch4k tv to a 32inch monitor 144hz 

Using a display port.

way smoother 

mike

• Like 1

Twin 2560 x 1440 Dell UltraSharps w/DVI Link and display port for many years now. Perfect.

I just bought three 4k 43 inch tv's and never been happier. The middle one is running on 4k and sometimes i just use that one alone

I own a 3440×1440 Dell ultrawide  but gave it to the misses. Just to small for immersion. I also use an oculus rift s but I got tired of all the hassle and blurry image. I only use the 4k tv's at the momemt. These are about 400 eur each and it a lot of bang for the buck compared to monitor. Let me emphasize that I don't care much about input lag, also my framerate is set to 30 or 40 and I'm fine with that.

If you are going for smooth then the 144 hz option is probably better. I'm just not that sensitive to smoothness.  I only fly 737 and all the movements are relatively slow.

Edited by jozeff
  • Upvote 1

went from LG 34" wide 1080p monitor to 43" 4K LG TV ( currently running at 2560x 1440P) not dissapointed , cheers 

• Upvote 1

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

2 hours ago, jozeff said:

If you are going for smooth then the 144 hz option is probably better. I'm just not that sensitive to smoothness.  I only fly 737 and all the movements are relatively slow.

Sorry but for flight simulation 30Hz is far more useful than 144Hz. If you play other games then those require higher refresh rates but P3D will never give you 144fps.

I would recommend either a 32” 16:9 4K monitor that supports 30Hz or a 40” 4K TV. That will generally support 30Hz.

@LTCSZ, you haven’t said what your CPU and GPU is. Those are critical to any recommendations.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

i cant cope with the mouse lag at 30 ray really cant lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

If you are willing to shell out for it then a G-Sync ultimate monitor is the best option but they are incredibly pricey.

G-Sync gets you out of worrying about drops in FPS, locking FPS and stutters in general.  Especially G-Sync ultimate which works from as low as 1-144 whereas G-Sync compatible or FreeSync is usually 40-144. For the first time a monitor can actually do more than be "just a display" and actually have compute embedded to improve the gaming experience.  If I had a mediocre system and my choice was a new system or a new G-Sync monitor I'd go monitor...  There are no systems you can buy that would give smooth performance across any FPS range, they will all stutter when FPS drop but G-Sync can counter that and provide that fluidity when even a 3080 or 3090 can't... 

Once you have experienced life with a G-Sync monitor there really is no going back... 

• Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

wonder when/if the prices will go down on the gsync ultimate ones?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

8 minutes ago, micstatic said:

wonder when/if the prices will go down on the gsync ultimate ones?

Oh man, you and me both!  I'm hoping for the day the G-Sync or Freesync compute just becomes standard... It's literally "game changing" technology pun intended but priced out of mass consumption still...

Fingers crossed but I'd expect 2023 at the earliest

• Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

2 hours ago, sonny147 said:

i cant cope with the mouse lag at 30 ray really cant lol

Understood. I find the benefits of a smooth sim outweigh that disadvantage.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

An OLED TV with G-Sync/VRR has been my best purchase in years.

• Like 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 hour ago, psolk said:

Oh man, you and me both!  I'm hoping for the day the G-Sync or Freesync compute just becomes standard... It's literally "game changing" technology pun intended but priced out of mass consumption still...

Fingers crossed but I'd expect 2023 at the earliest

yeah.  i want one bad.  I've tolerated 30hz for years.  Panning is awful.  So is the mouse lag

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Sorry but for flight simulation 30Hz is far more useful than 144Hz. If you play other games then those require higher refresh rates but P3D will never give you 144fps.

I would recommend either a 32” 16:9 4K monitor that supports 30Hz or a 40” 4K TV. That will generally support 30Hz.

@LTCSZ, you haven’t said what your CPU and GPU is. Those are critical to any recommendations.

That is absolutely true!

I just don't see the benefit of 60 fps when 40 is enough for me. Some people are very sensitive to smoothness.

144hz is never going to be achievable in p3d, you got that right.