Sign in to follow this  
Highmike

Help with removing viruses/adware

Hi, somehow my laptop managed to get some adware/viruses yesterday :-mad I keep running my virus scans using Norton, and windows defender. I've also got a program called CClean to remove stuff, but no matter what I do it still remains even though the scanners say they have removed all traces. Also they are up to date with the latest definitions. I've done a bit of looking around and it may be something to do with my registry. I'm not to confident in messing around with this, so is there any program, or what is the best program for tinkering with the registry?NB. edited to adjust subject name

Alaister Kay

Guest thscholz

Alaister,could you elaborate on that? What exactly does the virus/adware do?You should not mess around with the registry if you don't know what you're doing.Depending on the virus/adware there are different ways/tools to remove it.I had an adware once that took me weeks to get rid of.CheersThomas

Hi There: If you don't already have it Microsoft has a Malware removal toolfor free. Also for free..."Lavasoft Adaware", and "Spybot search and destroy" I have never found any combination that these two plus AVG Freeantivirus could not get rid of. Also add to that "Regcleaner" also free. Denny

Guest thscholz

>> I have never found any combination that these two plus AVG>Free>antivirus could not get rid of.>Well, then you were lucky and never got the CoolWebSearch.;-) That was a real beast!CheersThomas

Try to determine the name of the spyware threat and do a specific search for removal tools. I recently got hit with a thing called SpyFalcon. None of my regular tools ( AVG, Defender, WinPAtrol, SpyBot, Ewido, etc) could get rid of it. Found out through Google that it was a variant of the Smith Fraud exploit. Found a specific auto remover that ran and cleaned it out and it had not returned.There are *some* variants of attackers that are not completely removed by the popular tools. SO search and you will find a specific way.Good luck,VicVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-proud.jpghttp://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks to all of you for replying :-) I've tried a couple of things and it seems I have removed the adware/viruses. I also tried Yahoo anti-spy, recommended by a friend.I have one more question - Running the scans by the various programs now shows nothing. I have however noticed (not sure if it is supposed to happen) but I get a lot of files building up in he temp internet folder. For this I am running a scan through CCleaner and the other day I had over 750MB of stuff in there. Is this a problem?Thanks again

Alaister Kay