Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

First impressions of SU7 GOTY and Reno

Just now, sd_flyer said:

Seems like all others factors visibility and wind are correct. Unless it literally went down as I was flying!

Was in the official forums around ten mins ago 

First impressions after spending over 7 hours downloading the Sim update and content manager updates.

The Bad:

1.  Loss of frames of between 5-10FPS

2.  Much more stuttering and now screen tearing too

3.  TrackIR - not yet stopped working for me but it's certainly less accurate than before, for example rather than pressing the buttons to change frequency in the TBM, you now need to point to the top right of the button to get them to work.

The Good:

1.  The issue with 100% loading times for me seems to have been resolved.

2.  The annoying Parking Brake warning bleep can now be turned off.

For me the bad outweighs the good and in some respects return me to the bad old days after SU5.  The fixes to stuttering and improved frame subsequently introduced have all disappeared.  I'm not interested in Reno Air Races so, not for the first time, I wish they'd have left it alone.

UPDATE:

Forgot to mention that objects popping in at close range is back and I have now experienced the TrackIR stopping mid flight.  

Edited by badger2000

A few thoughts:

- The Reno air races are actually pretty fun and exciting!  In particular trying to fly the Jet or Unlimited category aircraft will take some work to finesse and not die while trying to hug the ground lol.  Even people that were blowing this off as being for the "x-plane crowd" should give it a shot, it's a lot of fun and a different kind of flying. 

- The new haze effects look marvelous.  Try flying into the Vancouver area right now.  I just flew in from Nanaimo and the new effects were readily apparent and looked fabulous, especially in the mountains north of the city.

- The PC-6 seems good, though I have the Milviz version which is excellent so not sure how much time I'll spend in the Asobo one.  Seems quite a bit more powerful than the Milviz one?  I feel like my observation is counter to others I've seen on this forum.  The addition of floats is nice though...not withstanding my next point...

- The water physics seem to have gotten worse?  Attempting to taxi in relatively calm winds was a fruitless exercise, the aircraft just kept moving in directions that did not correspond to my water rudder deflection or even the wind direction.

- It seems like the bug where ATC continuously hounds AI aircraft to expedite their climb/descent is still there.  Too bad given they fixed what seemed to be the same bug in player aircraft already.

- The new F-18 is certainly passable as a fun aircraft to jet around in.  Looking forward to some repaints as the default one seems a bit basic.  It cracked me up to see this guy flying it.  It looks like he meant to get into a Cessna for a $100 hamburger and instead stole an F-18 lol.

qGwNXX4.jpg

• Like 4

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

10 minutes ago, regis9 said:

A few thoughts:

- The Reno air races are actually pretty fun and exciting!  In particular trying to fly the Jet or Unlimited category aircraft will take some work to finesse and not die while trying to hug the ground lol.  Even people that were blowing this off as being for the "x-plane crowd" should give it a shot, it's a lot of fun and a different kind of flying. 

- The new haze effects look marvelous.  Try flying into the Vancouver area right now.  I just flew in from Nanaimo and the new effects were readily apparent and looked fabulous, especially in the mountains north of the city.

- The PC-6 seems good, though I have the Milviz version which is excellent so not sure how much time I'll spend in the Asobo one.  Seems quite a bit more powerful than the Milviz one?  I feel like my observation is counter to others I've seen on this forum.  The addition of floats is nice though...not withstanding my next point...

- The water physics seem to have gotten worse?  Attempting to taxi in relatively calm winds was a fruitless exercise, the aircraft just kept moving in directions that did not correspond to my water rudder deflection or even the wind direction.

- It seems like the bug where ATC continuously hounds AI aircraft to expedite their climb/descent is still there.  Too bad given they fixed what seemed to be the same bug in player aircraft already.

- The new F-18 is certainly passable as a fun aircraft to jet around in.  Looking forward to some repaints as the default one seems a bit basic.  It cracked me up to see this guy flying it.  It looks like he meant to get into a Cessna for a $100 hamburger and instead stole an F-18 lol.

qGwNXX4.jpg

Are you noticing excess fog/haze in places there shouldn't be? Is your performance any worse/better? 

Former Child, Current Adult

7 minutes ago, liamp51 said:

Are you noticing excess fog/haze in places there shouldn't be? Is your performance any worse/better? 

I haven't been cross checking METARs or anything, but the fog didn't seem excessive.  Haven't really paid attention to performance yet but am going to keep doing some test flying tonight...haven't noticed anything huge so far for performance.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

3 hours ago, Malcolm Street said:

Or if you do use it, don't whinge about it not providing new features or optimised performance.

It's there just as a test straight port to see if anything breaks. 

Primary impact here was substantially higher CPU utilization at the same settings otherwise, and surprisingly the same VRAM use, which is not what we might have expected.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

Go for a walk or something. The anger you’re having over snow being wrong is kinda silly. This is a work in progress and A LOT of other features have been implemented and bugs killed. I can’t imagine being this peeved over incorrect snow/weather when what we have with MSFS is so far and above anything we’ve ever had. 

There's always a few like this after every update it's amazing. Take a walk, take a Valium, but most of all step way way back so you can actually see the forest for the trees.  

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

DX12 is laggy. So far my favorite airplanes are L39 line especially C model

unknown.png?width=2235&height=1257

My L39 cockpit defaults to glass. Is there a way to select steam gauges like in your screenie? Also, I don't have pilot figures.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

So far this L39 is my favorite!

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Even with my older rig , DX12 is running very smooth ;  I lost about 5 FPS . Still getting 25 FPS with no stutters . My test was around our local airport (KGEG) in the daytime with PG turned on and clear sky's .

Do you guys see contrails after update?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

DX12 running smooth on 6800XT. When you switch to dx12 for the first time, it will be stuttery for while, give it time to finish caching as it is a different API. Thereafter things should improve substantially.

2 hours ago, regis9 said:

It is actually quite a blast - 8 laps can get really intense, especially if it's a close field!

GripperSim had a go too

4 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Do you guys see contrails after update?

Yes.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

My first impressions are that yet again I've been let down by a major lack of Quality Control for these updates, a shockingly appalling release without the use of the Mouse in VR.

It beggars belief that they can continually release updates with major game breaking issues and do nothing, especially as I found out the beta testers informed them well in advance (not that you need beta testers to see this issue).

To then put it in the Known Issues section of the patch notes without even the tiniest apology or hint of a Hotfix is remarkable, I'm sure the rest of the update is great, but for now I'm grounded by a bug that simply should not exist.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)