Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Severe Performance Degradation with DX12

Well, honestly, it was like this for every game I played when DX12 was first implemented. I really wonder why people thought that DX12 might be the "holy grail" to this engine... Lets see what they are capable of in some months from now, but honestly, if the engine is not designed in DX12 right from the beginning, I doubt that DX12 will ever result in better performance than DX11 inside MSFS...

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

This release has killed my FPS. I was easily getting 40-50 in the air before the update and now I'm down to 25-30 before even taking off. offensive initials not allowed!

NEVER MIND: I forgot I had Max Frame Rate set to 32 FPS in the Nvidia Control Panel. I turned that off and I am now back to 40-50 FPS with DX11. Will try DX12 tomorrow for the heck of it.

Edited by Rob G
New info

Case: (Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL), PSU: (MEG Ai300p pcie 5 & ATX 3.0), Motherboard: (ASUS TUF Gaming x670E-PLUS WIFI 6E), CPU: (AMD Ryzen 7 7800-X3D) 

Memory: (G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6000), GPU: (Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo). CPU Cooler: (ASUS ROG Strix LC RGB 360) 

Fans: (7 Corsair LL Series 120mm RGB)

I'm getting 10 to 12 FPS less with DirectX 12.  My specs are in my sig.  Back to DirectX 11 for me.

Looks like Asobo has a lot of work ahead of them to optimize DirectX 12.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I am not sure that it was a great idea rolling out DX12 (even as an option) at this stage if a large percentage of the user base see it in a negative light.

Nah.  This is exactly what Microsoft/Asobo should have done. Make DirectX 12 optional. Get a lot of feedback from the users. Then start optimizing DirectX 12 until it matches or exceeds DirectX 11.  Once the optimization of DirectX 12 exceeds DirectX 11, then they can disable DirectX 11.

But this is good feedback for Asobo that DirectX 12 FPS is really bad, and it doesn't hurt the userbase because we can stay on DirectX 11.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

15 hours ago, SP2472 said:

Direct X12 immediately cashed my system (froze) when loading the scenario, and I have higher end system?

Darryl

A wild guess, you had resizable-BAR enabled?

same here, was getting a solid 60fps at 1440p ultra before the update in the just flight pa28.

now getting around 48fps same a/c and setting. dx12 disabled

i7 10770k rtx 3080 

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

I am experiencing nthe same issued...same loss and same stuttery flying. Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

17 hours ago, Sethos said:

I had at the very least expected it to be comparable to DirectX 11, as they most likely just use all the DX11to12 compatibility layers to start with, they even mentioned a very mild performance increase and smoother frames times, as you see with most basic implementations of the low-level APIs. What I'm seeing is just a fairly big performance decrease and it feels extremely sluggish.

17 hours ago, David Mills said:

I was previously getting a smooth 30FPS even with demanding scenery and graphics settings. Now, with DX12 (beta) enabled, I'm getting a choppy 20FPS. I know that Asobo said there wouldn't be any performance improvement with DX12. But they said nothing about serious performance degradation. Also, DX12 appears to provide no benefit whatever to scenery quality.

12 hours ago, David Mills said:

If DX12 isn't adding anything to the sim right now in terms of graphics enhancement, why is it such a frame-killer already? What's going on under the hood? I know that DX12 is supposed to enable future graphics capabilities, and I'd certainly understand why these future improvements might affect FPS when they are implemented. But why the dramatic FPS hit now for almost everyone? 

Above: This is exactly what was expected; Asobo said clearly many times DX12 would be a tech preview to find issues and won't offer any benefits for a considerable time whilst it remains experimental and unoptimised, and it's probably full of debugging code. But some customers kept saying it would gain loads of fps and make everything look better, that it  would be a panacea.

Below: people who paid attention to what informed persons actually said

17 hours ago, enright said:

From what I understand, they haven't optimized a single line of code for DX12 yet - and like most of the DX API updates, you typically only see improvements once you take advantage of some of the new features. I recall one of the Asobo team members mentioning that the purpose of including DX12 as an option in SU7 is merely a "hey, does this break things?" exercise that requires a large sample size of hardware (and some preliminary results are - YES! It does break some things). Once that's settled, they'll start pushing code that actually takes advantage of DX12 - and since they now have a baseline, they'll know whether the code is an improvement or not. 

5 hours ago, AnkH said:

..it was like this for every game I played when DX12 was first implemented. I really wonder why people thought that DX12 might be the "holy grail" to this engine... Lets see what they are capable of in some months from now, but honestly, if the engine is not designed in DX12 right from the beginning, I doubt that DX12 will ever result in better performance...

16 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

There are... outstanding issues with DirectX 12 right now... Unless you would like to help Asobo by testing out the DirectX 12 render path, there is indeed no reason to use it ... As they said, the current implementation is very basic and a straight port, and the fact that it works on my GPU means they have not tapped into any Direct3D feature level 12_0 elements yet.

I sometimes wonder why Asobo still bother to engage with our community, when half us aren't listening and are reading what we expect/want rather than is actually written or said.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

17 hours ago, Espana Pete said:

As you say, thankfully it can be turned off.

Only for the time being.

When ASOBO deems it stable enough the platform will switch to DX12 as a whole and there won't be an option to go back to DX11.

6 hours ago, Johnny19 said:

DX12 rollout in FS2020 seems worse than rollout of DX10 in FSX which was the same fiasco. 

A complete misunderstanding as DX10 was never officially in FSX; how can something that's not officially supported be a "fiasco"?

FSX DX10 was an experiment (it was even referred to as "preview" on the option box in game) and ACES disbanded before it was completed, hence the DX10 fixer mod to try and make it useable. From what I have read so far, the MFS DX12 experiment sounds less buggy than the FSX DX10 experiment was, although there is a performance hit as expected and lots of niggles. If it all worked perfectly it wouldn't be an experiment/preview, it'd be RC or RTM.

• Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

14 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Above: This is exactly what was expected; Asobo said clearly many times DX12 would be a tech preview to find issues and won't offer any benefits for a considerable time whilst it remains experimental and unoptimised, and it's probably full of debugging code. But some customers kept saying it would gain loads of fps and make everything look better, that it  would be a panacea.

Below: people who paid attention to what informed persons actually said

I sometimes wonder why Asobo still bother to engage with our community, when half us aren't listening and are reading what we expect/want rather than is actually written or said.

Classic Avsim post. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

18 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Classic Avsim post. 

It's just summarizing very good what happened here and even while ASOBO is informing users very well, so many people felt let down.....they just don't read exactly what is written and some read it...but think a miracle is going to happen. 

I do find his post good. He clearly read and understood what ASOBO said. 

Not a classic avsim post at all. Classic posts are from those user who are surprised that DX12 didn't perform better then DX11. 

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

1 minute ago, mpo910 said:

It's just summarizing very good what happened here and even while ASOBO is informing users very well, so many people felt let down.....they just don't read exactly what is written and some read it...but think a miracle is going to happen. 

I do find his post good. He clearly read and understood what ASOBO said. 

Not a classic avsim post at all. Classic posts are from those user who are surprised that DX12 didn't perform better then DX11. 

Yeah, just quoting a bunch of people to say "let's bonk this on the head, silly users" adds a lot. Beautiful, well-written. Adds a lot to the conversation. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Yeah, just quoting a bunch of people to say "let's bonk this on the head, silly users" adds a lot. Beautiful, well-written. Adds a lot to the conversation. 

I see it like this: the topic title says clearly what happened......and user can admit or disagree. All good!

But saying that this is word not allowed, or bad done, or strange, or not what expected.....etc ...is useless...

Let's get back to the topic......I agree on the performance loss and stuttery behavior....25% loss of fps and frametimes...long stutters too. 

But I did not expected something else....I did expect equal or worse. 

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

3 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

I see it like this: the topic title says clearly what happened......and user can admit or disagree. All good!

But saying that this is word not allowed, or bad done, or strange, or not what expected.....etc ...is useless...

Let's get back to the topic......I agree on the performance loss and stuttery behavior....25% loss of fps and frametimes...long stutters too. 

But I did not expected something else....I did expect equal or worse. 

Marcus

Think it's common, regardless of how well-communicated something is, for people to talk about it on a forum when it's finally in their hands and give their honest opinions, good or bad or what they experience, regardless of what the developers said. Agree, no need to be condescending using colourful language to describe it, when the intent of it was clearly described and and advised in advance. Saying something has completely harmless as a feature not being what you personally expected and then having people get all antsy is bordering of intellectually dishonest, just feels like a desperate need to call someone out. At that point, you're just stifling any conversation if even that has to be called out like some lord protector of the forum conversation. 

You even just said exactly what I said... you say you expected equal (or worse) and commented on your performance, exactly what I did, so is your post also useless now?