Sign in to follow this  
JGregory

New v12 v. V11 Comparison Pics

So. Textures change, we had those with mods already. Brown tint -> Blue tint in the atmosphere, we got with X-Vision..

So this screenshot doesn't wow me much like the lighting video (partially) did. We'll see the more things are added/changed i guess

• Like 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

1 hour ago, Pastaiolo said:

So. Textures change, we had those with mods already. Brown tint -> Blue tint in the atmosphere, we got with X-Vision..

Yeah, but those modes are not driven dynamically like what LR are trying present here.

Consider a less than stellar 3P scenery airport that have a lot of default area's of vegetation or lack of in the X Plane 11 photo vs X Plane 12 that can fill in with the correct colors of vegetation in the same scenery. The possibility with improving that scenery could be 10 fold above what the designer originally had given it, with the correct colors of season based on the calendar and hemisphere.  

Edited by BobFS88
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bjoern said:

I'm a bit confused. Are the ground textures in both screenshots orthos or default landclass-based?

The V11 one was ortho (its LOWI, which has orthos by default in XP11)) and the V12 one is default airport texture and associated airport (WED) tools at the disposal of Scenery Gateway artists (like the lawmower tracks around the taxi sign).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Looks great !

I look so so much fwd for XP12 guys ....

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

10 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

Yeah, but those modes are not driven dynamically like what LR are trying present here.

Consider a less than stellar 3P scenery airport that have a lot of default area's of vegetation or lack of in the X Plane 11 photo vs X Plane 12 that can fill in with the correct colors of vegetation in the same scenery. The possibility with improving that scenery could be 10 fold above what the designer originally had given it, with the correct colors of season based on the calendar and hemisphere.  

A screenshot can be judged only for what it shows, and compared to the same conditions which can be created in the same spot with addons in XP11 or other simulators.

And the screenshot shows nothing particulary special. Congrats, new textures compared to those God awful ones we had for years and which we knew were awfully outdated. 

I would like to see what XP12 does that XP11 with mods cannot, not what i can already achieve with my modded XP11. Because that's the reason i am going to buy XP12 for.

Edited by Pastaiolo

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

2 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

A screenshot can be judged only for what it shows, and compared to the same conditions which can be created in the same spot with addons in XP11 or other simulators.

And the screenshot shows nothing particulary special. Congrats, new textures compared to those God awful ones we had for years and which we knew were awfully outdated. 

I would like to see what XP12 does that XP11 with mods cannot, not what i can already achieve with my modded XP11. Because that's the reason i am going to buy XP12 for.

As mentioned by Ben in the Fsexpo keynote and in the interview later, the scenery will contain deep metadata. This will dictate how the shaders work on the foliage to depict seasonal variations. Where the water puddles, snow would accumulate, etc.

All these along with the dynamic 4D weather engine with ray marched clouds makes me very excited about XP12.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

The grass is very good. I like it more than 3d grass,
And they nailed the atmospheric scattering perfectly.

Great times ahead !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

would like to see what XP12 does that XP11 with mods cannot,

What do you wish xp12 could do that xp11 with mods cannot?

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

Could someone make a screenshot of the (default) competing products from the exact same spot?

EDIT: with the same (estimated) time of day and weather conditions of course.

Edited by Murmur

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

What do you wish xp12 could do that xp11 with mods cannot?

High res texture is an old problem which was already solved with mods. Seasons, volumetric clouds, new lighting (which seems improved already, would like to see also light propagating and bouncing on clouds like it happens in the other sim), new water (which we have seen already improved and seems decent) are the things graphics wise i am looking forward the most to. For the weather itself, not just from a graphical point of view. And these are things which will make me buy XP12. And for the love of God, a proper solution to glowing trees. Because right now, for performance reasons i assume, the new detailed trees only shows up in a certain range around the place. But further ahead the old trees come out again..

Which is also why i found that screenshot to be very bland in what it showed compared to what it already has. Lighting wasn't much different, clouds were barely visible, high res textures i already have etc etc.

The reminder is the usual, i am judging only what i see 🙂 Not what they expect to be in 5 years.

@Murmur i tried my best. Would be nice from someone with a pimped out XP11 to do the same, especially with a x-Vision or similar addon taking care of colors. MSFS color limits on the Alps depends on the green tint Bing Maps have, sadly.

p.jpeg?size=2048x1536&size_mode=3

oRieBCph.jpg

Edited by Pastaiolo
  • Upvote 2

I like the apron edge details in the Xp12 shot. Subtle but a really nice touch

• Upvote 2

Chris